The Beatles on cassette

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clark V Kauffman, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident Thread Starter

And here’s a rarity: a sealed cassette of “Let It Be ... Naked.” The album proper is all on Side 1. The “Fly On The Wall“ disc is on Side 2.

[​IMG]

jpreza, Man at C&A, The Doga and 12 others like this.
  2. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

uzn007, NumberEight and MerseyBeatle like this.
  3. Clark V Kauffman

Another Capitol album with a totally overhauled track sequence for cassette....

[​IMG]

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never bothered with the Beatles on cassette...sound quality was subpar IMO.

5. Michael

paulisdead likes this.
  6. paulisdead

They do.

I read recently that Millennials and Zoomers like cassettes because they’re more affordable to collect than vinyl. They are also cheaper to produce than vinyl so indie bands still love them.

Man at C&A and Michael like this.
  7. Michael

interesting...I always disliked pre-recorded Cassettes..BUT, Loved making needledrops on high quality cassette blanks...I still have hundreds of mix tapes...years ago I transferred them to CD! so it's LP- Cassette -CD-HD!...and they sound fabulous.

8. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

They were pretty cool!

9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Doesn't the 8-track version of Y&T use a variation of one of the alternate post-butcher covers?

10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yep, and the hipster stores like Urban Outfitters where young people shop all sell affordable tape players. Lots of teens and twentysomethings now have hand-me-down tape players or stereo systems from their parents, too.

Man at C&A, 2141 and paulisdead like this.
  11. paulisdead

It's a shame that stereo tape heads aren't being made anymore (only mono ones from China because prisons and government kept using cassette into the 21st century) and Dolby is refusing to license any Dolby Noise Reduction. This is why 2010's/2020's cassette decks are garbage and sound be avoided. But there's no shortage of vintage cassette decks out there.

beatleroadie likes this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

"You haven't heard Sgt. Pepper until...." :laugh:

dlokazip, Michael and paulisdead like this.
  13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

[​IMG]
    Actually the trunk cover is pre-butcher; most of the proofs predate the instruction (via John) to use the photo. That's why the trunk cover was ready so quickly when Capitol nixed the Butcher photo.

Jon H., paulisdead, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
  14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I read this as Loved making needledrops of high quality cassette blanks.

Even on this forum, that came as a bit of a surprise. :)

paulisdead, Keith V and Michael like this.
  15. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

They split up day tripper?! The songs not even 3 minutes long! Friggin' 8-tracks, man!

16. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

What part of the song was the split, and is there a fade or was it abrupt?

Keith V likes this.
  17. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Interesting...I had never heard this. Any further reading available on this? Spizer?

18. SJB

Spizer's The Beatles' Story on Capitol Records Part Two has pages about the Y&T covers. Including a photo of Brian Epstein from the Rain promo shoot, holding a variation of the trunk cover that I've never seen anywhere else.
    [​IMG]
    That promo shoot took place on May 20th, three weeks before the June 10th order to withdraw the butcher sleeves. The cover proof must have been produced at least several days earlier for Brian to have a copy in England on the 20th. Spizer lists several other pieces of evidence proving that variations of the trunk cover were in development long before the order came down to recall the butcher sleeves.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  19. SJB

They were big teasers. They took you half the way there.

20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Go ahead & laugh, but for the first few years of the CD era, I would copy them to HQ cassettes and listen to those instead. That little bit o' hiss often warmed things up nicely.

Haven't gotten around to transferring my mixtapes to digital, though there are a few I'm kinda proud of. Maybe after I retire (like that will ever happen).
    :tiphat:

21. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

My very first Beatles purchase was Magical Mystery Tour on cassette circa 67 or so. I rode my bike at age 11 to the store. In those days you could listen on headphones before buying and did so. This was the USA version, and no you did not get the booklet if I recall. (No you don't said little Nicola).

22. SJB

In the late 1990s my car only had a cassette deck, so I would use my MiniDisc player to compile mixtapes which I would then copy to tape. I think the electronics of my MD player are still sound, but the loading mechanism is busted so I don't know if I'll ever be able to rescue a handful of recordings that I only have on MD. (I might have a functioning portable player somewhere...)

paulisdead and majorlance like this.
  23. Clark V Kauffman

There are some YouTube videos that show how to (allegedly) easily fix the common Minidisc loading problem. Might be worth checking out.

24. Michael

not laughing...enjoying your post! : )

paulisdead likes this.
  25. Michael

OK....