The Beatles performance of "All Things Must Pass"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kermit27, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kermit27

Kermit27 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know is anyone has edited together a semi-complete take of All Things Must Pass from the Get Back sessions?

It's been a while since I listened to those sessions but I remember there were quite a few run throughs but I don't know if there were any complete takes.

Has any Frankenstien-ed (Anthology style) a definitive version, or is this something I need to attempt myself?

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Someone linked one they created here in an earlier thread. I prefer listening to the takes separately as they are each so different. There are three I find to be (roughly hewn, unpolished) gems.

One is from the first day at Twickenham, the other two are from Apple.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    JimC, DmitriKaramazov and theMess like this.
  3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I think what I heard was a complete take but it was a terrible muddy bootleg. Performance-wise, it didn't really come close to the solo version.

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The notorious "Indian Rope Trick" has a pretty good version from the Get Back sessions. Rough to be sure, but I much prefer it to the solo demo on Anthology 3.

5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I did one, which nobody heard yet.
    It is for a project of a compilation cd I want to make out of the 90 hours of Nagar Tapes. My aim is to collect the moments I found the most astonishing out of those tapes, and to edit them together in the form of a cd that is pleasant to listen to. I have finished about 75% of that CD. The work I've done so far is about 40-50 minutes long.

In that prospect I tried to build the best version of Beatled-All things must pass possible, out of the many trials and errors recorded.
    This composite "All things must pass" is Track 5 on this compilation :)

6. Kermit27

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...of-all-things-must-pass.389816/#post-11355674

I like your description of each so I can go back and find them all. This was very helpful. I'm not sure why I dind't find this thread when I first searched!(?)

theMess likes this.
  7. Kermit27

I would LOVE to hear this.

nowhereman87 and theMess like this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thanks for locating it. Turns out there were 4 I liked best I guess.

If you like my detailed descriptions of January 69 recordings, you will love this thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/43-years-later-semi-annual-beatles-nagra-tape-replay.272176/

DmitriKaramazov and theMess like this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I have compiled 4 such 80 minute CDs. 1 each of George-led, John-led and Paul-led moments. And 1 of instrumental or largely instrumental jams.

I've also compiled 2 CDs that respectively trace all the key steps in the evolution of Get Back and of Dig It and related jams.

I am a bit of a nut when it comes to the Nagra recordings, perhaps fourth only to Ray S, Doug S, and Purple Chick

10. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

Love love love the version where they all harmonize and come in at slightly different timings in the chorus.

gottafeelin, JimC, JakeM and 4 others like this.
  11. chrischrischris

chrischrischris Forum Resident

I know the version you mean - there were a few, but that one absolutely shone!

jammincrowe, Steve E. and theMess like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would love to hear this CD, especially your composite of ATMP.

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Zongadude is releasing it in 5-6 years when it is all Public Domain. ;)

Zeki, Calico, Zongadude and 1 other person like this.
  14. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I believe Funky Drummer? did two versions a couple of months ago. Apologies if I got his or her name wrong. I thought it was pretty good.

theMess likes this.
  15. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

imo the most complete takes are:

Twickenham rehearsals
    All Things Must Pass 3.123 (3:31) - George is playing this clean-toned. Pretty solid take with John & Paul's vocal harmonies. John is playing an organ instead of guitar, although it's quite low in the mix. John attempts call and response backing on verse 2, to not such a great effect. Ringo is still learning the changes and has some fumbles but always recovers. Paul already has a delicate and meandering bassline.
    All Things Must Pass 6.123 (2:30) - Unfortunately starts at the end of the first chorus, so it's not complete. John again on organ. Paul's harmonies attempt to overpower George's lead (much like the Get Back sessions as a whole?) but are very soulfull. Ringo and Paul have their parts down by this time.
    All Things Must Pass 8.40 (3:17) - John is playing scant piano here, mostly vampy fills are audible though. Ringo is solid but Paul's bass is a bit more subdued. John's backing vocal is fairly clear, unlike the previous day's best take. Third verse has John shouting some backing encouragements.

Apple Studios recordings
    All Things Must Pass 28.86 (3:04) - George is playing the typical Leslie'd guitar now. George doesn't start singing right away, so John and Paul sing his lead for him. This of course sets the tone for John to interject his usual Johnisms throughout verse 2. Paul also attempts to double George with a baritone vocal harmony, which he quickly realizes does not work and just scats instead. This Paul vocal is considerably louder than George's. Concludes with a Johnism mock bible passage.
    All Things Must Pass 29.27 (3:03)- A pretty solid start but George's vocal--as well as John & Paul's--is barely audible. If one was to make an "outfake mix" it would probably be this take with Ringo up front with George's Leslie'd guitar behind and the bass and Billy Preston behind that.

Hey that makes three of us!

I too have been trying to compile a listenable anthology of the material! How I'm doing it though is 4 discs of Twickenham and 4 discs of Apple Studios. I tried to have the singular best take of each song formally attempted each day, presented in chronological order, dropping all pointless scraps and blurbs, etc. The 4th disc is George quitting and then all of the tasty jam the following day.

After Christmas I took a break from the project and I was half done, having finished the first four Twickenham discs and was plowing though the second half (the Apple Studios discs) when I started to second guess what takes should be included, since the most interesting stuff was already on other things...

Zeki, Yosi and Kermit27 like this.
  16. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

All of this is very interesting :)
    It's like a multiple release of one project:

My single cd would be like the "easy" and cheaper version, aimed to the general public.
    Then there is the 6-cd edition, made by Rfreeman.
    And there is the 8-disc version by Soniclovenoize.

About my project, I work on it whenever I have some spare time, which doesn't happen a lot. So it will only be finished in several months, I guess.
    As for my composite All things must pass, like Arnie suggested I don't think it would be tolerated to post it here as this is bootleg material.

(and don't get me wrong, I have NO intention of selling this work, or make money out of it).

17. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Hmmmmm, listening back to my compilation, I realize why I walked away from it... Even a 4-disc Twickenham is a bit much!

In hindsight, I guess you could make a realy great single disc Twickenham. Things didn't actually get good/interesting until the 8th....

18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Does anybody have a good fan-edit or can point me in the direction of the best runthrough they had?

19. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Somewhere, I think it was on this forum, someone combined George's demo of ATMP with some of the Beatle backings and especially the harmonies.
    It sounded pretty darn good. He made 2 edits of it, one with the harmonies really cranked up, and another with them more subdued. I'll look around and try to find it.

linclink likes this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

People post youtube links to unauthorized material all the time and Gorts never say it violates rules.
    It will get taken down from Youtube if Apple requests it
    It is not inconceivable that Apple could bring a legal case against someone posting this material to Youtube, but most likely they focus on people that are actually selling their material or circulating it through higher profile means.

21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I found the one that uses George's demo mixed with the Get Back run throughs and harmonies. I liked it.

wayne66 and Boris number 9 like this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Here's the other one. Pretty similar, but a bit more JL piano and harmonies mixed farther back.

wayne66 and Boris number 9 like this.
  23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Here's my favorite : Click on the "Press To Play" Keyboard/Musical note box below act 2 scene 2 to hear it.

http://letitbedissected.blogspot.com/search/label/All Things Must Pass

Now , I can't tell with my crap computer speakers at work, buy my memory is that this version sounds much fuller and less flat and lifeless than other versions I've heard.Probably the same performance may have been mentioned in this thread, but I'll be this one sounds the best.
    (I'm at work and haven't read through the thread yet)

The website itself is pretty fascinating also.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  24. For me, the only one that comes close to working as a single, self-contained performance is the January 8th Twickenham version with John on piano (indexed as 8.40 by Purple Chick). The earlier Twickenham organ-based run-throughs are too slow and dirgelike for my taste, and the Apples too sloppy and poorly recorded.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

Based on this it appears if they had worked this into a finished product it would have been pretty darned good, to quote a phrase.

Boris number 9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.