The Beatles: Single By Single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bailes, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I think Love Me Do is a much easier listen than From Me To You.
    It gets a negative rap, but I quite like it.

Pete Best drumming on the bridge may have been the final straw in him getting fired.

William Smart and Hermes like this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I like the bit on the White Album remix set Sessions disc on ' Revolution' where Paul launches into a disembodied vocal verse of ' Love Me Do '

3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ya that and "One After 909" from 1963

4. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Regarding "P.S. I Love You" … I recalled something I had read years ago in Mark Lewisohn's Recording Sessions book and just looked up at his text on the 11 September session: "There was talk of it being the A-side of the single, but (Ron) Richards was quick to scupper that idea. 'I was originally a music publishing man, a plugger, so I knew that someone had already done a record with that title. I said to Paul, 'You can have it as a B-side, but not an A-side.' So they did it as a B-side, and 10 takes later, it was in the can."

Researching further, the original "P.S. I Love You" was written by Gordon Jenkins & Johnny Mercer, published in 1934 and was a #12 hit for Rudy Vallee that same year. The more famous version was a Top 5 hit by The Hilltoppers in 1953. A ton of artists have recorded the original song - from Bing Crosby to Bob Dylan (Triplicate 2017) to Sinatra, Diana Krall & even Tom T. Hall - so Ron's instincts were probably correct, even though we love The Beatles song!

And when The Beatles exploded in the US in 1964, and the floodgates opened, both sides of the single were "hits", with "Love Me Do" going to #1 in all 3 national charts and "P.S. I Love You" hitting #10 in two out of the three.

Binni, William Smart, zipp and 4 others like this.
  5. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'Love Me Do' is a good song, it was just overshadowed by what came after it. I like the Andy White version the most. McCartney just sounds too nervous on the original (Ringo) single version.

ralph7109 and The MEZ like this.
  6. richarm

richarm Senior Member

Agreed, always preferred the Ringo version

William Smart likes this.
  7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Haven't missed a thing. It's called different opinions.

William Smart and AFOS like this.
  8. Bailes

Bailes Billy Shears Thread Starter

P.S I Love You

[​IMG]
    UK single released: 5 October 1962
    US single released: 27 April 1964
    A-side to: Love Me Do

The version featured on the single and album was recorded in ten takes on 11 September 1962 at EMI's Abbey Road Studios, London. Producer George Martin had booked session drummer Andy White as a replacement for Pete Best, whom he considered not technically good enough for recording purposes; Martin had been unaware that the other Beatles had already replaced Pete Best with Ringo Starr, who attended the session and plays maracas on the song. White was a freelance show band and session drummer, and gave the recording a lightweight cha cha treatment.

Martin was not present at the session; in his absence, it was run by Ron Richards. Richards told the group that the song could not be the A-side of their single because of an earlier song with the same title: "I was originally a music publishing man, a plugger, so I knew someone had done a record with that title. I said to Paul, 'You can have it as B-side, but not an A-side.'"

With Starr playing drums, the Beatles recorded the song at the BBC on 25 October 1962, 27 November 1962 and 17 June 1963 for subsequent broadcast on the BBC radio programmes Here We Go, Talent Spot and Pop Go the Beatles, respectively. The 17 June 1963 recording was officially published on the On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2 album (2013).

References: Wikipedia

pablo fanques likes this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Love Me Do is a bit clunky. I prefer Please Please Me.

10. Bailes

Bailes Billy Shears Thread Starter

The earlier version with Pete Best was even clunkier!

11. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Love Me Do is pretty meh. Clunky is a good way to describe it. The song gives almost no indication of the greatness that was to follow, in terms of composition and performance.

I find it hard to believe this song became a hit without a little extra “help.” Were the charts manipulated? Is it true that Epstein bought extra copies?

Anyway, I’m glad the Beatles improved so quickly afterward....

William Smart, Hermes and DRM like this.
  12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The mono songs on the stereo remastered album Please Please Me really stand out. I definitely prefer stereo. I’m wondering if the U.S. singles featured more stereo songs than the U.K. singles.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  13. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

1st american single was please please me. we all know that, right?

14. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Anybody who knows anything about music theory will tell you that P.S. I Love You is remarkably sophisticated for a self-taught songwriter. It begins with "The Devil's Chord Change" (G to C#7) and each verse ends with one of the most influential chord sequences ever invented:

Binni, Jayseph, zipp and 15 others like this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..even by U.S. standards, you've got it wrong. It was released in December '63. So there!:winkgrin:

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

While John and Paul's two part harmony and John's harmonica have a lot to do with it, even if another band had released this arrangement of LMD I'd think it was a pretty cool record for its' time. Even though there was nothing particularly brilliant about it, it still had a sense of "difference" when compared to most other Pop hit singles of the time period. If i was to give it 2 and 1/2 stars out of four on its' own merits, I'd add another half star if I was to put it in context as the first original Beatles single, with full knowledge of the songwriting explosion that was to come.

17. Wildest cat from montana

That adds to its charm. And McCartney certainly remembers the session. He' s spoken about it a number of times and admits to being terrified.

DK Pete likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

When Mick Jagger made his Beatles induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame speech he mentioned 'Love Me Do ' in a humorous way.
    He said he thought his band was a truly original group playing rock and r&b music. He then heard of some group from Liverpool who also played this style of music and had a record contract and had a record on the charts which featured a bluesy harmonica.Jagger said this made him sick.

BZync likes this.
  19. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

Not released by Capitol !?
    If I recall correctly the first Beatles single released in the US by Capitol was „I want to hold your hand“
    In the UK it was „Love me do.“
    Also, Capitol released singles that where not released in the UK.

DK Pete likes this.
  20. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Another Beatles thread, don't we love it - this is one for the girls, 511/1000.

ARK likes this.
  21. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

What! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

When I listen to love me do “primal sexual energy” is about the absolute furthest thing from my mind.

There are so many other songs on PPM I would pick over it to get that description

schnulli, AFOS and Grant like this.
  22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

While I concede I like the harmonica on Love Me Do, it's the melody of P.S. I Love You that draws me in. And every time I hear the ending I really want to hear cha cha cha.

23. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I used to prefer the Andy White/Album/Common version of Love Me Do, because it was the one I was most familiar with, but nowadays I clearly side with the Ringo version, it has a better beat to it and feels more gritty, especially the intro.

P.S. I Love You is sort of a bridge song. It's stuck in a pre-Beatles era, but still sounds like the Beatles of the next year. An interesting tune, nice melody.

DK Pete, FJFP and Hermes like this.
  24. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

If I had to put a firm rating it would be

Love Me Do 5.5/10: it’s a fine song, it gets it point across (I love you, I’ll always be true, so please love me back) but it seems a little dry and not something I would seek out.

PS I Love You 7/10 this is actually a fairly buried track that I feel doesn’t get enough love, it’s still pretty basic but has enough depth to the point it doesn’t come of as surface level upon repeat listens.

To be honest I feel they should have flipped sides but alas: history is history

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...which would have totally destroyed it.:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.