The Beatles: Single By Single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bailes, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

See my comment #1273.
    There's something else going on in that song. Too bad you can't hear it.

Grant, blutiga and marmalade166 like this.
  2. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

That doesn't make it great... it just makes it more absurd. I dont care how much passion you put into nonsense .... it's still nonsense. My hearing's fine.

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel tower can also be interpreted in one or two other um...ways

Orson Swells likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Cause - for Beatles fans - it's 2.5 minutes with almost no John and Paul, and no Ringo

5. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

{shrugs shoulders} Okay.

6. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Ha - yes, possibly! I've never thought of it like that before...

AFOS likes this.
  7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Does anyone else find the video for Walrus slightly disturbing...particularly the end where the Fabs are slowly dancing off into the distance followed pied piper style by a collection of freaks and wierdo's.

blutiga and Tim 2 like this.
  8. Bailes

Bailes Billy Shears Thread Starter

Hey Jude

[​IMG]
    B-side: Revolution
    Single Released: 26 August 1968

In May 1968,[4] John Lennon and his wife Cynthia separated due to his affair with Japanese artist Yoko Ono.[5] The following month, Paul McCartney drove out to visit the Lennons' five-year-old son Julian,[6] at Kenwood, the family's home in Weybridge.[7] Cynthia had been part of the Beatles' social circle since before the band's rise to fame in 1963;[8] McCartney later said he found it "a bit much for them suddenly to be personae non gratae and out of my life".[3] Cynthia Lennon recalled of McCartney's surprise visit: "I was touched by his obvious concern for our welfare ... On the journey down he composed 'Hey Jude' in the car. I will never forget Paul's gesture of care and concern in coming to see us."[9] The song's original title was "Hey Jules", and it was intended to comfort Julian from the stress of his parents' separation.[5] McCartney said, "I knew it was not going to be easy for him", and that he changed the name to "Jude" "because I thought that sounded a bit better".[3]

According to music journalist Chris Hunt, in the weeks after writing the song, McCartney "test[ed] his latest composition on anyone too polite to refuse. And that meant everyone."[10] On 30 June, after recording the Black Dyke Mills Band's rendition of his instrumental "Thingumybob" in Yorkshire,[11] McCartney stopped at the village of Harrold in Bedfordshire and performed "Hey Jude" at a local pub.[12] He also regaled members of the Bonzo Dog Band with the song while producing their single "I'm the Urban Spaceman", in London, and interrupted a recording session by the Barron Knights to do the same.[10] Ron Griffith of the group the Iveys – soon to be known as Badfinger and, like the Black Dyke Mills Band, an early signing to the Beatles' new record label Apple Records – recalled that on one of their first days in the studio, McCartney "gave us a full concert rendition of 'Hey Jude'".[13][nb 1]

The intensity of Lennon and Ono's relationship made any songwriting collaboration between him and McCartney impossible.[16][17] Keen to support his friend nevertheless, McCartney let the couple stay at his house in St John's Wood, but when Lennon discovered a note written by McCartney containing disparaging and racist comments about Ono, the couple moved out.[18][19] McCartney presented "Hey Jude" to Lennon on 26 July,[20] when he and Ono visited McCartney's home.[21] McCartney assured him that he would "fix" the line "the movement you need is on your shoulder", reasoning that "it's a stupid expression; it sounds like a parrot." According to McCartney, Lennon replied: "You won't, you know. That's the best line in the song."[22] McCartney retained the phrase.[5][nb 2] Although McCartney originally wrote "Hey Jude" for Julian, Lennon thought it had actually been written for him.[20] In a 1980 interview, Lennon stated that he "always heard it as a song to me" and contended that, on one level, McCartney was giving his blessing to Lennon and Ono's relationship, while, on another, he was disappointed to be usurped as Lennon's friend and creative partner.[21]

References: Wikipedia

BZync and Diego Lucas like this.
  9. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Hey Jude is far from being my favorite Beatles song, but I don't dislike it in the slightest. Might be their most famous song after Yesterday.

10. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Well-Known Member

If a Revolver super deluxe edition ever comes out, I would love it to include the backing track to Rain at the speed at which it was recorded (it was slowed down for overdubs and gives a different textural feel to the whole track). There is / was a version of this on YouTube which included backing vocals, but who knows whether it is at the speed they originally performed on the day. It makes the drums and bass line even more impressive to my ears...

pablo fanques likes this.
  11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I still enjoy listening to Hey Jude but not as much as I did; suffers from over exposure

Fun story about Paul crashing the Stones party for Beggars Banquet and playing the new single both sides. Apparently Mick was not too happy

BZync, J Alesait, Tom Daniels and 2 others like this.
  12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup, the end depicted their following, lol.

AFOS likes this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

John : " That 's ( Paul' s ) masterpiece."

BZync and blutiga like this.
  14. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Always a highlight of whichever album it appears on.
    Question: was there ever radio edits made. I do remember it when it came out but I was five. I don't remember how long it was. It never seemed to last 7 minutes.

15. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Hey Jude

I don't recall having heard of a radio edit, though obviously it was easy for presenters to fade out the song early.

But there's something about the dynamics of this song which mean it doesn't seem to last that long.

I personally never tire of listening even if I've heard it hundreds of times.

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

There was a shortened version for a hits compilation that pre-dated One.

Also the version on Love is shorter.

And certainly a lot of stations may have faded it early with few folks noticing.

BZync likes this.
  17. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Yes I know about the shortened version that appeared on 20 greatest hits. I was talking about something more contemporary.

Rfreeman likes this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

This thread is so much fun and nearing its end. I wonder if there is any appetite for extending it through the solo years. Could at least do that through 1970, starting with GPAC and Cold Turkey in 69.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Lady Madonna
    Again, seems a lot of people don't like it, but there's a lot going on in the song. And, it offers an interesting social commentary.

Hey Jude
    Again, some people despise the repetitive coda, but that's the best part. I really dig the slow build of instruments on top of the band jamming nasty groove. And, I love songs with very long fadeouts.

pablo fanques likes this.
  20. muddlehead

muddlehead Forum Resident

Labor of love compiling the list so far

1. Love Me Do / PS I Love You UK release 1962 USA release 1964
    2 Please Please Me / From Me To You / Ask Me Why 1963
    3 Thank You Girl / Do You Want To Know a Secret 1963
    4 She Love You / I'll Get You 1963
    5 I Want to Hold Her Hand / I saw Her Standing There 1963
    8 This Boy / All My Loving 1963
    9 Roll Over Beethoven / Please Mr Postman / Misery 1963
    10 I Saw Her Standing There / I want to Hold Your Hand 1963
    11 Twist and Shout / There's a Place 1964
    12 Can't Buy Me Love / You Can't Do That 1964
    13 Hard Day's.../ Things We Said…/I Shd Hve Knwn Bttr 1964
    14 I'll Cry Instead / Happy Just to Dance With You 1964
    15 And I Love Her / If I Fell 1964
    16 Matchbox / Slow Down 1964
    17 I Feel Fine / She's a Woman / Tell Me Why 1964
    18 Eight Days a Wk/I Don't Want Spoil Party/No Reply 1965
    19 Ticket to Ride / Yes It Is 1965
    20 Rock and Roll Music / I'm a Loser 1965
    21 Help / I'm Down 1965
    22 Yesterday / Act Naturally 1965
    23 Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out 1965
    (skippping Norway/Italy only singles)
    24 Nowhere Man / What Goes On 1966
    25 Paperback Writer / Rain 1966
    26 Eleanor Rigby / Yellow Submarine 1966
    27 Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane 1967
    28 All You Need is Love / Baby You're a Rich Man 1967
    29 Hello Goodbye / I Am the Walrus 1967
    30 Lady Madonna / The Inner Light 1968
    31 Hey Jude / Revolution 1968

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Hey Jude

I very much remember this one being a big freakin' deal when it was released in '68. Everyone talked about it, at school, on the dial and in the press. The length was certainly a point of discussion although MacArthur Park stole some of that thunder a few months earlier and though the band wasn't a stranger to orchestration, this felt somehow different, weightier. I don't actually feel the need to hear it these days and it's not in my Top 10 list of Beatles favorites, probably not even top 20 but I wouldn't rush to turn the dial were it to come on. And in the tradition of nearly every Beatles single, when you got done with it, there was a whole 'nother creation waiting to be savored.

J Alesait likes this.
  22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Wow, I never realised it was that short, it seems a lot longer. :D

23. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Because it loses me about a minute in. Your mileage may vary.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  24. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Such a thing happened, like, two years ago.
    Wonder if I can still find it.

I’ll catch up tonight.
    Need to refresh my memory on The Inner Light and I can’t do that right now.

25. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I think you missed the German songs. Bailes himself posted at least one of them.

He also posted I'll Follow The Sun, Michelle and Girl which you've excluded because they're on Norwegian and/or Italian singles.

Bailes said he accepted singles from all countries. Why are you picking and choosing? And why post the same US single twice?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.