The Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set: advice

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haggis_The_Barbarian, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haggis_The_Barbarian

Haggis_The_Barbarian Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey all,

The stereo box is currently on Amazon.ca as a prime exclusive for $275 CAD. I know there are some opinions either way on whether this is a must have release or not, but at that price, should I grab it? I already have the mono-box. Would my money be better spent just getting decent originals of the stereo albums? This is probably the last time it will be available on the primary market... and it's a steal... I'm a little torn.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Do you like the 2009 mastering? If so, yes. If not, no.

If not, get the Blue Box.

Vel, saborlord123, Hammerpeg and 4 others like this.
  3. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

You're money would be much better spent getting a UK blue box in nice shape.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Absolutely.

Musician95616 and audiomixer like this.
  5. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Wouldn’t get all the tracks though. You’d be missing a load of singles plus MMT.

stevenson66g and lightbulb like this.
  6. Then buy the single Mono Masters LP and the mono or stereo MMT

7. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Easy enough to add Past Masters and the West German A1/B3 MMT

walrus and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Buy it. You could easily sell it if you ever want to get rid of it, provided you take good care of it.

9. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

10. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Much easier to get the new stereo box and be done with it. Plus it comes with a excellent hard cover book and nice sturdy box.

black sheriff and Marko K like this.
  11. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

As long as it was pressed in Germany.
    Brand new 2012 Stereo Remaster LP stock appears to be all
    German pressings. Don't know about the Box though.
    The Optimal pressings sound really nice.

12. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

Are the U.S. (Rainbow) vs Euro (Pallas or was it GZ?) pressings still an issue?
    If so what is the cheapest and easiest way to get a new Euro box?

thanks,
    Paul

13. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

Oops, Posted right after you. Euro = Optimal, good to know.

14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

But you didn’t tell the poster that.

stevenson66g likes this.
  15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You've got the mono box, so you could be happy with that, considering that the stereo box is a digital transfer.

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, I'd save the money and just get a Blue Box if you really need stereo for some reason. Get Past Masters from the 2012 reissue series and...maybe MMT too if you can't find one of the rare all true-stereo pressings. I only had those two from the 2012 series, and I think they sounded okay, but not worth dropping $250+ on a box set for.

Lownote30 likes this.
  17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Like others are saying, the Blue Box is probably the better choice. However, IMO, the 2012 Stereo Box is worth getting assuming you get one with no pressing defects. It's worth $100 or so just for the stuff that doesn't come with the Blue Box (The Book, MMT & Past Masters). With that said, I'd consider holding out for an even better price. MusicVaultz still has it in stock, and have great box set deals from time to time.

black sheriff likes this.
  18. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I personally don't think the stereo box set is worth it (other than the great book that's included) because there really isn't anything "unique" about it. It's just the 2009 remasters digitally sourced to vinyl. I bought the set when it came out but I actually don't think I've played the albums more than twice each....I just go to the mono vinyl box. I imagine I'll sell the stereo box eventually but I'll keep the book.

If you really feel like you need Beatles stereo on vinyl I agree with others, find a Blue Box + MMT/Past Masters.

Hammerpeg, Lemon Curry and WonkyWilly like this.
  19. totally get it. And I enjoy the stereo box. It is not as bad as some folks would lead you to believe. Although try for a UK pressing over US...

Vel, Rorsontherun, Gardo and 10 others like this.
  20. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I would get it. They sound great. Sure, everyone has a different recommendation regarding ze Beatles, but if you don't want/need to spend a fortune or the next ten years hunting down perfect copies (which may not even have the sound you like), get these. I just saw a Blue Box for $300 a few weeks ago and didn't even bother checking it out. Just make sure about the return policy if they were pressed by Rainbo.

21. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Man, I would definitely get that for $275 Canadian, that is a great deal especially for the vinyl. Plus you get the book and a nice box. It's on Amazon but would cost me $371 where I live.

DK Pete likes this.
  22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

a ringing endorsement :D:cheers:

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I wouldn't risk $275.00 for a box set of bad pressings. I do think it's a must-have release but I'd look for an EU box if you decide you want it that badly as "a box set" (I bought all the German pressings individually after having bad experiences with the American-pressed box as well as the individual American pressings).

fmfxray373 likes this.
  24. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have found two German 2012 Stereo pressings brand new for under $20 at brick and mortar stores recently. No brainer purchase. Digital or not the Let It Be 2012 sounds much better than my old red apple version.

Vel, Echoes Myron and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

The 2012 LPs generally sound much better than the 2009 CDs because they are not compressed like the CDs and are slightly higher resolution (44.1/24 vs. 44.1/16). However, I think I prefer the CD version of Abbey Road over the LP. The 2012 LPs have much more bass than the 1970s and 1980s UK and German pressings.

Gardo and moople72 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.