The Beatles US Capitol Albums Volume 3 On CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

I agree with you. However I don’t think Apple/The Beatles/Universal care about this stuff like we do. They just want a good representation of their music on the market(The US box may not have been authentic but you can’t deny the quality representation, look at the album covers and inner sleeves). The Beatles were pretty vocal about their disdain for all the Capital futzing of their records back in the 60’s, so much that it was part of their contract negotiation that Capital could no longer dismantle, re-compile, or futz with their recordings. That being said the Capital box 3 was unfortunately a casualty of bad timing. It was Mr. Slater’s pet project(a self proclaimed original Beatles fan) and he just didn’t last long enough in the company to finish it. This boat has sailed. That being said I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually went back and did a box of AAA LP’s from the original Capital tapes in the same way they did the mono’s. They realize that this is a subset of a niche market and they would have to do it right, where the CDs are treated more like this will cater to a general audience.

Michael and Flaming Torch like this.
  2. Onder

Onder Senior Member

No, it has the standard 1965 mix.
    However, there is a 7" Rock'n Roll Music sampler that does indeed feature a (1976?) remix. But it's just 0:22 in length, for some reason it was not used on the actual LP.

lukpac, slane, Dinstun and 2 others like this.
  3. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

That must of been what I was thinking about. Thanks for clearing that up Onder!

Onder likes this.
  4. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Plus, there's the stereo Penny Lane with the trumpet ending from U.S. Rarities, a couple of stereo Walrus mixes, and the All My Loving hi-hat intro

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The complete version of this mix along with the '66 stereo "Strawberry Fields" and alternate Y&T stereo mixes are on my wish list for an expanded Capitol Rarities CD

"All My Loving" with the untrimmed intro was never issued by Capitol, the others are outfakes (combined from genuine stereo mixes and rechanneled stereo) but they should be reissued on an expanded Rarities nonetheless

6. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Not true. We got the original Help! and RS stereo mixes on CD thanks to the 2009 mono box (previously, in the 1987 Canadian CDs). And in the case of Help!, also on the Japanese box.

Sidewinder43, notesfrom and aphexj like this.
  7. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

The US/German stereo Walrus is an earlier mix than the standard UK mix found on CDs.

8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

OK, I've got it now. So if one wants to acquire the US mixes on CD then one has to have The Capital Albums Vols 1 & 2, and then all you're missing (pretty much) is the Yesterday and Today album.

Flaming Torch, musicfan37 and aphexj like this.
  9. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

[​IMG]

Mickey2 likes this.
  10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

In any case, I still thank Bruce and Andy for bringing the US Stereo RS back, even if it's it's in a box (Cap v2). I forgot about the original stereo tracks being reissued in the mono CD box; such a strange place to put them.

11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I thought there was one stereo mix, and only one stereo mix (until the Magical Mystery Tour film soundtrack was remixed in the 1990s), that it was made November 1967 and issued on the UK stereo double-EP set, and Capitol just edited it differently; either cutting off the intro for the MMT album, or editing in the extra beats from their mono single mix for Rarities

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  12. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Given the success of the recent Pepper and White album remix projects, I would expect those to continue rather than a one-off limited interest issue like this.

So, this year and next I assume we've got Abbey Road and Let It Be remix (and film) titles coming out. They may have missed the boat on the 50th anniversary for Revolver and others, but I assume there is demand for some of those, although I don't know how worthwhile it is to go back much farther than possibly Rubber Soul. So, where would that take us? 2022, 2023? A Capitol Vol. 3 release after that run would be somewhat anti-climactic, unless it was just slipped in along the way without much fanfare. But what would be the point of that?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Michael likes this.
  13. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Exactly, apart from a couple of differences in MMT. As for Y&T, if you buy the stand-alone 2014 CD, you get 5 out of the 8 (or 7, depending on the sources) unique US mixes. Only for the packaging, with the sticker for the second cover, is worth it, IMO.

Agree on both terms.

mark winstanley and mmars982 like this.
  14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

v3:
    Yesterday And Today
    Revolver [for completists]
    Magical Mystery Tour [original SFF mix, bonus IATW single]
    Hey Jude
    A Hard Day's Night [soundtrack]

v4? [not strictly Capitol, but ... for super-completists]:
    Hollywood Bowl
    Rock And Roll Music [with GM's alterations]
    Love Songs
    20 Greatest Hits
    Movie Music [with bonus Movie Medley]

pika22 and Sidewinder43 like this.
  15. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

And I Love Her was never issued in the U.S. either.

16. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Yes, but I'd argue he was proven wrong with the U.S. box set. I've learned over the years to never listen to the experts. As Bowie said, "too many snags."

17. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

The US/German stereo mix of Walrus (RS6/7) was made on 7-Nov-1967. The single was to be released late November and the EP and LP early December, but the UK stereo mix (RS25/7) wasn't made until 17-Nov. The earlier mix was used on the US stereo LP with two beats edited off the start. It was also used on the 1967 German double EP, unedited. And it was used for the German single, folded to mono.

lukpac, Flaming Torch and slane like this.
  18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes! Yes! Yes! Like! Like! Like!

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

cough.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Okay, thanks for the clarification
    Not until 1980 on the Rarities LP

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

completion...

DennisF and Sidewinder43 like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

yes, the US Lie Box had great artwork! perish the thought without a CD release.

musicfan37 likes this.
  23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I wish they would have just included Yesterday and Today in Volume 2.

24. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

This is true, it's a unique mix.

For Volume 2 I just wish they'd skipped the relatively pointless "Early Beatles" and included "Yesterday and Today" instead. It would have felt more complete that way. As it is, it's an itch that just won't go away.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  25. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, that would have been the best option (in place of Early Beatles, which was pretty redundant a couple of years later anyway).

This double CD set would give fans all the genuine Worldwide alternate mixes and edits.

WORLD MASTERS

Disc One (mono)
    Ask Me Why (UK single)
    Long Tall Sally (US)
    I Call Your Name (US)
    And I Love Her (US)
    I'll Cry Instead (US)
    Any Time At All (US)
    When I Get Home (US)
    I'll Be Back (US)
    I Feel Fine (US)
    She's A Woman (US)
    Michelle (US)
    I'm Only Sleeping (US)
    Doctor Robert (US)
    And Your Bird Can Sing (US)
    Tomorrow Never Knows (withdrawn UK)
    Penny Lane (US promo)
    I Am The Walrus (US single)

Disc Two (stere0)
    I Want To Hold Your Hand (1963 mix)
    All My Loving (with hi-hat intro)
    Long Tall Sally (US)
    I Call Your Name (US)
    I Feel Fine (with whispering intro)
    She's A Woman (with count-in)
    Help! (with James Bond intro) - I'll give this one a pass...
    I'm Looking Through You (with false starts)
    The Word (US)
    We Can Work It Out (US)
    Day Tripper (US)
    I'm Only Sleeping (US)
    Doctor Robert (US)
    And Your Bird Can Sing (US)
    Strawberry Fields Forever (US)
    A Day In The Life (with clean intro)
    I Am The Walrus (German/US)

Bonus Tracks:
    I Want To Hold Your Hand (1965 mix)
    Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand (US master)

Everything else is on the 2009 Mono & Stereo remasters, or is an unauthorised alteration (fake stereo, folddown, added reverb, re-edited, etc).

And despite what some people think, nearly all of the US mixes above are on the US Albums box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.