The Beatles - White Album 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BuCo, Nov 9, 2018.

1. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Just re-listened on Spotify...it's the deluxe version...it is there, just mixed really low. Or something not right with my work computer speakers, which is entirely possible.

NJB

2. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Was that "Thank You" always on the end of "Obla Di" ? I'm guessing it was, but.

audiotom, quicksrt and ODIrony like this.
  3. Spencer Marquart

Spencer Marquart Forum Resident

To my ears, I wouldn't say "crushed" but similar to SGT Pepper, too loud for my taste.

4. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Right, I'm off down the road, so I'll be listening more, from "Piggies" onwards.

5. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Yep

6. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I think the sound is a bit (edit: a lot ) overly compressed on the CD's - fatiguing. The hi-res is much better. The vinyl takes the cake.

7. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

We should all post selfies with our boxes/vinyl.

Hermes, drum_cas and StateOfTheArt like this.
  8. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Archambault's got 'em. $182.99

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Yes. John: Thank you, thank you-hoo. huh-huh-huh

10. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Sorry. I too old and ugly. Don't want to break the interwebs...:cool:

11. Braulio Acosta

Braulio Acosta Forum Resident

What I'm not hearing is the little glitch (?) at the end of "Tired"

dvakman, MLutthans and Gila like this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have heard that it's a total blast, mainly forward positioned, but tons of over-dubs (vocals, etc) and effects in surrounds.

13. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Birthday is astonishingly good. The drums pound out like never before (at least to my ears).

14. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Also on Google Play in case anyone's interested in streaming via Chromecast - for those waiting for LP's as well :)

nightstand68 likes this.
  15. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Having all of the Esher demos is worth the price of the set. I'm kind of surprised these were never officially released in full before. I like these better than some of their official albums.

16. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

Just listening to the vinyl. Not too pleased with the pressing of record one on my copy. I was disappointed to see non-fill on side one, and it's very audible, so skipped side one. Also, loud tick right over the plane FX on USSR. Much less non-fill on side two, but there was a ball of vinyl swarf in the inner, so that's scratched Martha My Dear.

Most noticeable things so far - the bass on Piggies is nice and chunky, and quieter foot taps on Blackbird.

WMunney, Mr. Explorer and FJFP like this.
  17. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I got it via ITunes. Haven't really listened to the remixed album yet, except for what was released before hand. On BITU, is John's Nyet missing or just mixed low?
    I really dig the outtakes. Cry Baby Cry may be my favorite after Across The Universe (of course).
    I love take 2 of Helter Skelter...hard to believe it's the same song as on A3. That edit was an amazing piece of surgery. But the 13 min is incredible. John's one note bass playing is just scary.

Mr. Explorer and FJFP like this.
  18. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Love the entire package with the book and packaging. Top notch work.
    Especially like the track by track detail on who played what on what song on what day.

Having just listened to CD1 you immediately hear the difference. In a generic sense I couldn't say the "the bass or drums are louder". The differences varies for track to track. I would say the in comparison to the 2009 cd version, the Giles mix is warmer and clearer while the 2009 version has more treble causing the music to sound thinner.

Most importantly: You will hear things you have not heard before!

(Listen to then to the bass on Dear Prudence: especially at the end)

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Can't wait to see some more posts on the 4-LP vinyl set and the 2-LP set, especially since they were pressed at different locations. I have the 4-LP set and will digest over the next couple days and give my feedback for whats it worth...nice feedback here already!

OptimisticGoat and John Inglis like this.
  20. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Cry Baby Cry - it used to be a folk song, now it’s a full-on rockin’ assault. One of the highlights for me.

waterface, Binni, enro99 and 3 others like this.
  21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Shop soiled copies already. Sheesh.

22. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Did anybody post waveforms of a few tracks, comparing the 2018 remix to the 2009 remaster? Somebody did post the new "Helter Skelter" on the other major thread.

I'm still wondering if the 3-CD set contains a jewel case sized booklet (with the original front cover), like the 2009 titles did.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Good thread packaging-sound issues or not !!!!

24. alexpop

Don't judge a LP with its cover.

25. alexpop

Abbey Road should be a beaut.

Lownotes likes this.