The Beatles - White Album 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BuCo, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

That one sounded weird to me, piano way too loud on the first half and nearly absent in the second half. Distracting changes.

Joy-of-radio and applebonkerz like this.
  2. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

Just got done listening to the remixes. I give the new mixes an A. The most improved tracks for me are "Back In The USSR", "Dear Prudence", "I'm So Tired", "Revolution 1" and "Savoy Truffle". The two remixes I don't like are "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" which seems to have lost all its punch, and "Helter Skelter" which is just too different. Seems like instruments are missing/mixed down and the backgrounds vocals are too forward.

3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Same story as Pepper. It's the point of owning the boxes.

FJFP and Colocally like this.
  4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Why should one have to buy the vinyl version to get better sound? Why can't the cd version have equal dynamics and compression? There is no legitimate reason that that each format has to sound that different from each other.

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

You have no real assurance that the original will always be there. Look how hard it was to come by the original stereo mixes of Rubber Soul and Help! for the longest time. Which stereo mix of those albums do you get via streaming these days? We had to buy an expensive MONO box or track down Canadian cds to get it.

MitchLT, Joy-of-radio and winston32 like this.
  6. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I’m only up to “I Will” so not quite at the halfway point yet but so far I’m REALLY enjoying the surround mix!! Much more engaging than Pepper 5.1 without being gimmicky or weird. The clarity of the DTS-HD Master Audio layer on my Oppo 105 is outstanding!

bherbert, RubenH, Shaddam IV and 8 others like this.
  7. What a wonderful looking and sounding release this is! The Blu-ray is marvelous sounding, the remixes vary from exceptional to good. None of these replace the original album mixes of course but they are an interesting alternative. The book, wow! This is how to do a deluxe.

dav-here, Mesozoic Mike and andybeau like this.
  8. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I was surprised the full set was available on HDTracks. Anyone taken that plunge?

9. Audiophilehi

Audiophilehi Forum Resident

It’s unfortunately the 1st thing I noticed. The loud wars continue. While there are some good moments on this reissue I still prefer the original CD.

bobcat and Joy-of-radio like this.
  10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Here's my question to you multiformat veterans of this reissue. I have a shiny new Oppo 205 and a Linn LP12 table with a Hana cart and EAR phono stage. If my objective is the best possible sound, what do I get: the deluxe set, playing the Blu-ray, or the four disc vinyl? Can't justify getting both. Thanks in advance!

RubenH, Paully and John Inglis like this.
  11. 9la

9la Forum Resident

The stereo separation of some tracks has been significantly narrowed (I noticed "Dear Prudence" and "Piggies"; I haven't checked a lot of the others). Then again some tracks may have been widened. But since separation is my big concern, I"ll have to stick with the 2009 remaster. Pity, because otherwise I was satisfied with the new mix.

12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Surprised that I was wanting more electric guitars on Yer Blues. Seemed a little held back.

13. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Well Bill
    I got both digital and vinyl deluxe sets - I’m listening to the 1st remix LP disc right now - it sounds fantastic on my system. Not quite as high end as yours - listening on 1200 mk2, AT 120E, pioneer sx1010, tone off, Klipsch Forte - for your reference. I think you’ll like the vinyl. Mines dead quiet background so far no sibilants no IGD at all - so far anyway I think it’s a winner!

Bill and John Inglis like this.
  14. John Inglis

John Inglis Well-Known Member

Or should I go with the Hi Rez download?

Bill likes this.
  15. 389 Tripower

I think the drums are a little more up front though

MRamble likes this.
  16. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Will check again. Maybe I'll like it more on the second listen.

Cry Baby Cry sounded fantastic tho.

389 Tripower likes this.
  17. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I feel the same way, my free three month iTunes is doing it's job perfect. The Esher demos tapes are fine but I don't see myself going back to them. I have a Mobil Fidelity pressing from the early 80's.

18. 389 Tripower

I think you’re right about the vocals though

MRamble likes this.
  19. tenthstreet

tenthstreet Well-Known Member

I’d definitely get it and prefer the HDtrack versions over buying CDs at this point (I import them and then never touch them again), but it’s missing one key ingredient: the direct transfer of the original mono that’s only on the Blu-ray in the CD version.

The Sgt. Pepper version on HDtracks has its respective direct transfer, but no dice for this one.

So I’m a bit conflicted on whether I get that or keep the Super Deluxe set I’m currently staring at...otherwise, the HDtracks version would be a no-brainer to me. If someone says the HDtracks version is far superior, I might go for it, so would love to hear someone’s opinion!

maxnix likes this.
  20. 389 Tripower

Truffle is a MAJOR improvement!

21. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Backing vocals too high on some of the remixes, bass and drums seemed lowered too. The outtakes are where it's at!

Joy-of-radio, wayneklein and MRamble like this.
  22. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I ripped the 24/96 of the new mix and the mono from the BD, sounds fantastic on my Pono in balanced mode. Stupid question, I'm listening to the Esher Demos, and Back In The U.S.S.R. makes a little noise and drops sound for about 15 seconds, then comes back for about the last 10 seconds. This happens close to the 2:30 mark.

Is this a problem with the demo, or do I have a faulty disc? It did it on my Pono, so I checked the CD and it does it on it as well. All the other songs so far sound great, just that little part.

23. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Listening to the new stereo mix on Blu-ray right now. I have to say (through side 1) that I do not like it. The sound quality seems great -- like butter. I am a little surprised by the overt changes in the mix. Some things are not subtle ("While My Guitar" is one such example). Just a quick first impression.

24. Audiophilehi

Audiophilehi Forum Resident

I have the Hirez and for the most part the vocals and drums are pushed forward. The bass is a bit muddy and the soundstage is narrowed.

This is one of my favorite albums and have countless copies on vinyl including original stereo and mono. I guess I’ll stick listening to the original LPs and I prefer the original CD as well. Overall I don’t like it but do love the additional bonus material. YMMV.

applebonkerz likes this.
  25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I’m confused by how one person can say a mix isn’t different enough yet another person says the same song has been changed too much.

I’m a quizzical Colocally this evening, I am.