The best Box sets ever!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hect, May 7, 2021.

1. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Anyone mention the All Things Must Pass wooden chest?
    Anyone here get that or see one in the flesh?

2. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

Merle Haggard - Down Every Road.

3. voice with restraint

voice with restraint Forum Resident

Screaming and Hollering the Blues by Charley Patton, a labor of love by John Fahey.

4. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Too bad the mastering isn’t. I found it compressed especially as it goes along. Disc one is better than disc two, etc. Interesting is that the recent single disc Best of The Talking Heads was criticized here for its mastering and it shared it with this box set.

Disc three:

Album details - Dynamic Range DB

c-eling likes this.
  5. voice with restraint

voice with restraint Forum Resident

6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

G Stands For Go-Betweens Vol. 2

[​IMG]

timnor, Mylene and GregorSamsa like this.
  7. bolexman

bolexman Forum Resident

My vote for Bob Dylan's Biograph. It certainly showed the industry how such a project could be done, combining lots of unreleased tracks with career highlights & interesting liner notes. I think it was a landmark release, making record companies take their vaults and legacy recordings much more seriously.

8. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

Another vote for this. Just an amazing box set.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I don't know if I'd say best EVER but I recently had to re-buy the deluxe edition of ZZ Top's Chrome, Smoke, & BBQ box, even though I own the "musically superior" Complete Studio Albums (the Warner years, at least). CSBBQ in its deluxe form is just a really cool box set - shaped like a shed, the corrugated roof of which is the lid. Inside are the 4 CDs (which are kind of beside the point here), a really thick book, and some goofy cut-out cardboard figures. I got rid of this set when the Complete Studio Albums came out because it was, well, complete and the mastering was better. But I've missed the BBQ set ever since and stumbled on a ridiculously cheap copy ($25!) still sealed, complete with hype sticker and Best Buy price tag of $74.99. I could not pass it up, and I'm thrilled to have it again. But, honestly, if anyone wants a good overview of the Warner years this is a pretty comprehensive set (and yes, these are the original mixes, not the Six Pack remixes.) Besides First Album, most albums have at least half a dozen tracks, and it also has some b-sides and a few tracks from Billy Gibbons' first band, The Moving Sidewalks. Fun set with an okay mastering, so if you're not picky, this might be the ideal condensed collection of ZZ Top.

10. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Lesley Gore's box set It's My Party is one of the best I have seen, especially for an artist of her genre. It is absolutely complete and comprehensive-literally everything she recorded on Mercury whether officially released or not is included (such as what would have been the Magic Colors album). The liner notes are as extensive as any I have seen-recordings dates, musicians, studios.

notesofachord, Mylene and jimbo3688 like this.
  11. team2

team2 Forum Resident

The Beatles -- In Mono
    The Police -- Message In A Box
    The Jam -- Direction, Reaction, Creation
    Buddy Holly -- Not Fade Away (The Complete Recordings)
    Robert Plant -- Nine Lives
    Blondie -- Against The Odds

notesofachord likes this.
  12. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's some omissions (a whole album session with Bob Crewe amongst them ) but the tapes seem to be lost.

14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Ouch...

15. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

The Byrds 4cd box, made me into a huge fan of theirs, especially the 2nd and 3rd cd which are amazing :D
    One of those collections that's just one forgotten gem after another, apparently the best songs from their 60s albums

16. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

If you are referring to this box set:

[​IMG]

I couldn’t agree more. Made me a fan, too.

17. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Yeah, it's the one where each cd had a different name like "taking flight", "cruising speed", etc.
    that 2nd disc covering the "Younger than Yesterday" era is especially great. One of my most frequently played collections for sure

18. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned.
    The Chess box sets for blues. I have the Muddy Waters box which consists of 6 LP's and a terrific large booklet detailing his musical life story. Chess also released Willie Dixon and a Chuck Berry box sets. These were also released on CD in their own box sets.

[​IMG]

imsjry, richierichie, Taxman and 5 others like this.
  19. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I would agree on the 8LP All Things Must Pass...

20. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I've changed my mind a bit since then. I think 'best' is meaningless, but if I had to pick one I guess I'd say Beatles In Mono again (Certainly not ATMP50 though).

ricks likes this.
  21. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Now THAT I can totally agree with.

ricks and A Local Bloke like this.
  22. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Did not get one, but have seen a friend of mine's set. I opted for the 8LP and 3 CD sets individually. Didn't want to spring for all of the uber box. The gnomes are cool. I have no use for the blue-ray surround mix nonsense...

23. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

That was one pricey box!!

24. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

You have a use for the gnomes?????????

Komakino___ and ARK like this.
  25. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I'm not a huge boxed set collector but I do enjoy The Motown Box. Purists hate it because of all the stereo mixes but I think it's a lot of fun. My only worry is if Disc 4 is better in the store version or the PBS fundraiser version. I own the latter.