The Best of Ridley Scott's filmography

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raye_penber

raye_penber .

I'm with the Captain.
    Shiny :righton:

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

24 Films in the poll. A lot i don’t care for.Out of the two dozen movies I would say there is about 6 classics.

PH416156 likes this.
  3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Really a case of quantity over quality these past 20 years.

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It's a bit on the dry side but I like ' The Duelists '. Keith Carradine and Harvey Keittel are good as the long-time enemies of the title.

Robert M. likes this.
  5. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Here's my DVD autographed by Col. Dan McKnight, on whom the film is based.

[​IMG]

I haven't seen all the films, but I voted for:
    Alien
    Blade Runner
    Thelma and Louise
    G.I. Jane
    Gladiator
    Matchstick Men
    Kingdom of Heaven

nosticker likes this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I had forgotten about American Gangster. Great job recreating the time period.

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Alien I and Blade Runner are his best work. He never reached this artistic level again.

Gladiator or Kingdom of Heaven is popcorn movie! I don’t like it.

8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'll go with the first four and with Gladiator. Those are the best for me.
    I did like Black rain and Black hawk Down.

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Alien, Blade Runner and Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut, as someone rightly said) are my fave Scott films

but I really like most of his work, even the recent films eg Prometheus

alexpop likes this.
  10. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

The Duellists--great first film, visual feast that set the tone
    Alien--the most grandiose modern sci fi horror film of that time
    Blade Runner--one of the great dystopian film noirs of our time, maybe only topped by 2049
    Gladiator--were you not entertained
    American Gangster--
    engrossing story, great direction and performances
    Body of Lies--a good solid film that stands out w/ good performances
    Prometheus--flawed but stunning sci fi within the Alien framework
    The Martian--good direction on a good story
    The Counselor--so dark, so nightmarish, so flawed, but the damnation of the lead is unforgettable
    White Squall--solid film and got to watch Ridley Scott in action with his long-standing crew

**Blood Meridian needs to be filmed, Ridley Scott needs to direct, and would be the
    perfect visual director for such a project. He needs a western in his canon, and
    could handle the 'unfilmable book' chatter I often hear about. It has been on his mantle
    for awhile, with red tape problems... wish they would get it rolling.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  11. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

OK, I’m biased.
    Starting with “Gladiator” I worked on 10 Ridley Scott films as sound designer/sound FX editor, where is “Black Hawk Down”?

Not just one of Ridley’s best but one of the best, most accurate war films ever made.
    When finished we played it for a group of the Army Rangers that it was based on and received their enthusiastic approval and thanks.
    Embarrassed we thanked them.

It’s been a few years but the last time I talked to Ridley his favorite among his films was “A Good Year”.
    Weird? Maybe but he had I think personal reasons for loving it. I have a feeling his favorite changes.

I’ve always had a weak spot for the underrated “Hannibal”. Ridley viewed it as a black comedy.

My favorites-
    Black Hawk Down
    Blade Runner the Final Cut
    Alien
    Gladiator
    Matchstick Men
    Kingdom of Heaven
    (the director’s cut which Ridley views as the only legitimate version)
    American Gangster

I will tell you this, that guy ain’t done.
    He was always doing pre-production on his next film while mixing the current film AND working on two or three other projects at the same time.
    He’s a little over 15 years older than me and still going strong ... I’ve retired.

I also managed to work on one of his brother’s films. The nicest guy in the business.

wwaldmanfan, PTgraphics and budwhite like this.
  12. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Went

Alien
    Blade Runner
    Matchstick Men
    American Gangster (Surprised this got so few votes Denzel alone makes this worth watching)

carrick doone likes this.
  13. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

The Martian: One of Ridley Scott's best films, I think. He brings an unexpected light touch to the film and the ensemble cast highlights how underrated Scott is with actors.
    A Good Year: Not a great film, but one I'm sentimental about. I saw this at a time in my life when I was at a professional/personal crossroads and would have loved nothing more than for an eccentric uncle to leave me a vineyard and villa in the South of France. And it's simply beautiful to look at.
    Alien: "It's a good movie" - Ridley Scott
    American Gangster: Yes, Denzel is nothing short of bad ass - but whoa, Ridley Scott makes this movie look like exactly what I believe NYC looked like in the '70's.

14. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

I’ve got to disagree. He was wildly uneven for quite a time but Matchstick Men, Kingdom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down (which I somehow forgot to put in the poll), The Martianall compare. The Duelists is an underrated film as well.

15. wayneklein

Agreed. His biggest flaw is when he doesn’t have a strong writer or script or has too much input into,the script.

16. wayneklein

No. It’s also one of his worst films. Tim Curry and the visuals aside, it’s pretty bad.

17. wayneklein

Cause I waited until it was too,late and realiEd K had missed it. K think I might have read through it quickly and read the Black in Black Rain and assumed that was it. The director’s cut is a better versi0n.

18. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I checked off only the ones I've seen.

I just watched Prometheus last night and as it turned out, brought what is likely an unusual approach to viewing it. I didn't know anything about it--at all--except who directed it; found it for a buck a thrift store and finally got around to seeing it. So, if you're similarly unaware and plan to watch this, spoilers below:

At some point early on, I thought, "This seems like Alien." When they discover the field of oozing vials behind the door, I thought, "What is this, a remake of Alien?"
    I realized it's part of the series when engineers' ship was revealed, especially the cockpit.

I have the sequel to this somewhere in my stack; glad I happened to watch this one first. I thought it was pretty good.

19. wayneklein

Surprised so few have seen or appreciate The Duelists. Despite Keitel and Carradine with cents at odds with the rest of the British cast, it’s a marvelous movie.

conjotter, vivresavie and Robert M. like this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I like how "Matchstick Men" is the 'odd-movie' out of all these.

21. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Alien (and Aliens, which is not in the poll)
    Blade Runner
    Gladiator

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well..he didn't do that one...

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

ALIENS was James Cameron . . .

24. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

My mistake.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The Martian was a great book and I was leery about about a movie being made based on it. Then I read Scott was making it and I relaxed a bit. To cover the story completely it could have been made in two or three separate features like the Hunger Games trilogy but Scott ended up doing a nice job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.