The BILL EVANS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Dec 15, 2017.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@scotti First of all, thank you for asking for my opinion. I'm quite flattered. :pleased: As I mentioned earlier, my personal feeling is that sound-wise each instrument is perfectly and equally represented in the recordings. (That does not often happen, as you well know!) But, in thinking about the performances, you may very well be correct in that Eddie does shine as much as Bill at times here. Great observation from your famous "sweet spot" !

CBackley likes this.
  2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

One can NEVER go wrong with that album.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I'm even more flattered that you took the time to respond to my post. Thank you good sir!

You are so right about each instrument being perfectly and equally represented. Especially since this is live and not the same show throughout.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    paulmock likes this.
  4. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

Anyone have this particular Autumn Leaves title? I like this one a lot, great performance and good sound quality...but it’s an odd pressing.

I mean...I know that some of the Pescara Festival releases are unauthorized, but my copy even displays song titles titles that are different than what is actually on the record.

1. Emily (correct)
    2. There’ll Never Be Another You (actually “A Sleeping Bee”)
    3. Stairway to the Stars (actually “Alfie”)
    4. Someday My Prince Will Come (actually “Who Can I Turn To”)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I read somewhere that Bill was particularly upset about a Japanese bootleg of that concert; I'd guess that was the one. The incorrect track listing probably had a lot to do with his feeling. It is a good recording, and I like the show very much; it's up in the air whether The Complete 1969 Pescara Festival (Lone Hill CD) or the new Behind the Dikes is my reigning favorite from 1969.

louis_anthony likes this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Behind the Dikes 2 CD is available on amazon for $23.

Why pay 5 to 7 times that for the same mix on vinyl.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bill was one of the most frequent jazz subjects for artists. There are many hundreds of paintings of Bill

[​IMG]

9. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I would like to dedicate this next tune to all the members of "the Bill Evans thread"

10. Martin Henry T

Martin Henry T Well-Known Member

I notice that most of record 3 from the vinyl set of Behind the Dykes issue has been previously issued on vinyl and CD as Quiet Now . Interested if anyone is able to compare the two versions ?

frightwigwam and teag like this.
  11. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

Okay all this Behind the Dikes hype has me wanting to just bit the bullet and buy one from the scalpers. Can someone confirm whether or not the album was sold completely sealed? Even the ones that are stated as being unopened seem to just be open at the top. Am I seeing this right?

[​IMG]

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

I don't have the answer to that, but was wondering what you think of the sound quality of the Dikes vinyl?

13. frightwigwam

It's a little something I've been toying around with, I think you'll recognize it, called "Night Fever."

Joti Cover, Yesternow and Aegir like this.
  14. teag

teag Forum Resident

He probably could have done the best version....

Back to the subjects at hand.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I recall right bassist Michael Moore was in the trio in 1978 with Bill and Philly Joe Jones and said the white suits and medallions were their idea. He was not thrilled.

16. frightwigwam

IDK, but when Bill was on The Tonight Show with Tony Bennett in 1975, he wore an awful picnic-tablecloth sport coat (similar to the one he wore to Montreux that year, but different colors), butterfly collar, dark vest, and a giant silver medallion that would make '80s rappers jealous.

17. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

It is not sealed. The top is open so the albums could be inspected or even play tested before purchasing. At least this is the way it was at my local record shop who had two copies on RSD.

paulmock and Aegir like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes. Looking at Moore's story again (in Peter Pettinger's book) he mentioned a different 70's fashion story.

19. G E

G E Senior Member

I just ordered this from a record shop on Discogs. They mentioned they received them from the distributor with records outside outside the jackets and did I want them to sent them to me that way? "Yes, Please!", my response.

paulmock likes this.
  20. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I just bought this restored edition on Craft Recordings that is supposed to be sublime. 2-LP set pressed on 180gr at RTI. It includes a a restoration step used for a result of, "...a very tight sounding and in-tune recording that effectively brings the listener that much closer to what the original performance sounded like".
    [​IMG]

frightwigwam likes this.
  21. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

And another thing, on Amazon yesterday there was only "1 left in stock" so I bought it. I went back today and guess what? There was only "1 left in stock" and mine has already shipped!

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Nice. Looks like some pretty high prices for this one on Discogs (vinyl Dikes).

I just ordered the CD.

Too bad Resonance has to always limit the vinyl copies to RSD releases. They could have sold plenty. Based on Ebay and Discogs a lot of the sales went to flippers.

23. Martin Henry T

Martin Henry T Well-Known Member

I am afraid I have the 1981 Affinity edition of Quiet Now on vinyl ..... I was hoping for a comparison from someone who has both to see if the quality was as good or better ( the Quiet Now is actually quite good ) .....

teag likes this.
  24. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

"Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk....
    You sure about this ?!...ok...
    I'm a woman's man, no time to talk"

Aegir and frightwigwam like this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Indeed. This whole RSD exclusivity with Resonance is getting pretty old now. They know by now that these LP's sell pretty well. They should just be like other labels and put 'em out there for everyone without having to go thru a scalper. Methinks something is gonna have to be pretty damn good to make me want to buy their products again.