The Black Crowes are in Sunset Sound recording a new album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Jan 21, 2022.

1. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

Well, that was quick. They’ve already exited the studio. Temper your expectations accordingly.

2. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I really like Warpaint and Frost, but I thought the “Americana” type songs on those albums were much stronger than the rock songs, which for the most part seemed fairly weak to me. So while I think it would be interesting to hear them try a “back to their roots” straightforward rock album, to me their recent output suggests that’s no longer where their strengths lie (although an argument could probably be made that even going back to Amorica they’ve been better at writing ballads than rockers). And the idea brings back memories of By Your Side, which of course many fans think is their worst album.

3. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Sorry, I was generalising a fair bit there...but it was a bit 'far out' with Mr MacDougal at times...not really my thing.
    But there was some lovely stuff on those CRB records, as you say . I enjoyed the Barefoot in the Head record a lot.

Doomster and cable hogue like this.
  4. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

What do you mean?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. cable hogue

The session appears to have wrapped. Their engineer shared a Instagram video this afternoon of the crew moving their gear out of the studio.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Matisse

Matisse I said me gotta go now

I wonder what a bunch of original material would sound like. I’m all for it. There’s no pressure on the brothers at this point to put out a killer new album as The Black Crowes, prove they still have "it", recapture their mojo at last or whatever and conquer the world again. That’s never going to happen so in a way it’s not really a big deal. Another Warpaint type of record would do for me and maybe the new songs are great.

Zoot Marimba and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. That's definitely a unique perspective...on this forum, at least!

8. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

Barefoot In The Head is a fantastic album, top to bottom. The album title is ridiculous, but the songs are great. CR can still get it done when he wants to.

9. Old Fart At Play

They recorded TSHMC in a couple of days and they were still rookies back then, now that they’re experienced pros there’s no reason why they couldn’t knock out an album in a couple of hours!

But seriously, I’m going with the completely baseless prediction that they were cutting a couple of cover songs as bonus tracks for a live album from their last tour.

10. 4th album (which is no rookie effort) after 3 fantastic albums and they were still rookies? No.

pexie likes this.
  11. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Did they state when it started?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Old Fart At Play

Second.

I feel like there’s a commonly accepted abbreviation for Southern Harmony that’s used around here, but I couldn’t remember what it is.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. cable hogue

Looks like they were at Sunset Sound for a handful of days this week. 6 tracks (covers?) in the can.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Ahhh, ya got me. Apologies. Of course, I was thinking of TSAOC. Anyhoo...:hide:

15. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

No reason why they can't go back and record again in a few days - studio may have been booked for the weekend and they could just be squeezing in time when it's available.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Good news that said I will be cautious and stream it before buying.

18. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Haha - I actually love the album title … it’s a great metaphor for a blissed out state of mind.

If You Lived Here, You’d Be Home By Now was another clever title (but weaker songs)

pexie, Matthew Tate and Bob Lamonta like this.
  19. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

Cool news! Hoping that Jimmy Page will show up so that we will finally get that studio collaboration album we were promised after Live at the Greek.....

supernaut and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Old Fart At Play

Now that would be something!

Vinyl_Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

These could be songs to be tacked onto a new Best Of, Stones-style.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

I couldn’t make out much of the list. Were these tunes that showed up on the tour and they’re possibly doing some touch ups on live takes?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

The only two titles I could make out for sure were Easy To Slip and Papa Was A Rolling Stone. The top one may have been Rocks Off but I couldn’t be certain.

All those songs were originally released in 1972, which was 50 years ago this year. Probably a coincidence.

Matthew Tate and nbadge like this.
  24. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Looks like I could have been premature titling this thread ‘recording a new album’ but time will tell.

25. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Perhaps now we can refer to the post now as 'The Black Crowes Fart Around In The Studio Playing Other Peoples Stuff'

ARK, Hep Alien, supernaut and 2 others like this.