The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

NO! That has not changed!:laugh:

chacha and Vidiot like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Only 12 episodes this year and it'll be a series finale at the end. Maybe now they'll FINALLY explain who the F James Spader's character really is. They revealed for the first time that he had a lot of plastic surgery to look the way he does, so you wonder how involved this secret is. We know he's not "really" Red Reddington, but then, who is he?

3. shokhead

Reddington wife? Man, who the hell knows. Bet the writers don't know yet.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Spader is so interesting on screen.

6. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Safe to say Megan Boone having a baby was NOT part of the Day 1 Plan! But it looks like the show is back on track now. Less baby, more Boone!

blind_melon1 and Vidiot like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, funny how the show has conveniently forgotten about the baby... That happens in television quite a bit when the new writers & producers say, "aaaaa, the kid is a drag," and they write them out of the story. Or they suddenly age the kid 4-5 years and they're going to kindergarten (as with Murphy Brown).

groundharp likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just to bring this thread up to date, even though they had written this season with the idea that they would have the 12th-episode show-ending finale this month... the ratings picked up enough that NBC has unexpectedly renewed The Blacklist for a seventh season!

‘The Blacklist’ Renewed for Season 7 by NBC

I don't think anybody expected this, least of all the actors and producers.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. shokhead

Wow. Now get him the hell out of jail, boring.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if you watch the resident you will see this quite a bit.

while it is a very enjoyable show, the resident takes liberty with 'forgetting the past' more than anyone.

the big honcho doctor/surgeon who couldn't keep form shaking is all at one a great surgeon again.

the father was gone and then re-appeared again.

the budding romance between the traveling doctor and the blond has cooled rather quickly.

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The big question, of course, is how does Spader get such a close shave?

forthlin and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Great hair & makeup artists. (Maybe not so much on the hair for Spader.)

13. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

By then they'll finally reveal that Katarina Rostova is Reddington.

jpelg and Vidiot like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

So they finally did the big 2-hour special, including a massive 1-hour reveal on Katarina Restova's back-story, who the real father of Elizabeth was, who "Raymond Reddington" really is, and so on.

For the benefit of people who didn't see it, I'll avoid spoilers, but it's interesting to me that Reddington killed a half-dozen people to prevent Elizabeth from finding out the information. It's sort of surprising that a whole bunch of people (including her semi-husband Tom, plus the infamous Mr. Kaplan and several others) perished along this journey, and now that we ultimately know the truth, it's not that big a deal. Entertainment Weekly has a good rundown on what it all means:

https://ew.com/recap/the-blacklist-season-6-episode-18/

It's fair to say that the story is messier than you might think at first glance and there are still many unanswered questions. They bring up the fact that a couple of years ago, when Elizabeth's mother, Katarina Rostova was introduced, she washed up on a beach at a lavish house, and Red Reddington (still looking like James Spader) found her, helped her, and they both defended the house from an attack by Evil Russian Agents. So how does this play into the story? And how about all the burn scars all over his back?

The showrunners are saying that they always knew the outcome and that even in the very first episode, Reddington warned "everything I say is a lie," and that included his identity. Still, there's a lot of fudging going on, like why he changed his appearance, why his real-life character embraced a life of crime, and why everything wen the way it did. Since the show unexpectedly got renewed for another season -- and also had surprisingly strong ratings this past Friday night -- it looks like they might be able to get another year's worth of stories out of it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    MikaelaArsenault and AndyNicks like this.
  15. shokhead

Red seemed noncommittal so the story goes on.................

16. I got bored of this series at mid season 4, I hate when a TV series gets to the point of repeating itself week after week after week and creating false cliffhangers.

17. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Having just finally watched the last 6 episodes of the season, I realize that that was a lot of information to digest. Fortunately I still have all the episodes on DDR and will ultimately review them once
    more before the start of the new season. One item that I seemed to miss... Who was the skull that was being carried around in a suitcase, buried, unearthed, etc. back when Mr. Kaplan was still around?
    Was that ever explained?

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, the skeleton was the REAL "Red Reddington," who was an American intelligence agent wrongly accused of being a spy. A man named Ilya Koslov was a Russian agent trying to get his girlfriend (another Russian agent) out of Moscow, and since she was having an affair with the real Reddington, Koslov had plastic surgery to look like Reddington. So the character in the show is theoretically a former Russian agent who became a world-class criminal mastermind. It's a bit of a mess. It's hard to figure out why "our" Reddington (James Spader) would kill so many people to stop his non-daughter from finding out who he really is, and why he won't talk about it.

19. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Being a huge Clapton and Cream fan, the ending with the two kisses and Red getting jabbed just as the opening of Cream's I Feel Free was jaw dropping. Another twist to consider until next season. On a sad note, I have loved the one two punch earlier in the year with Blacklist and Blindspot, but Blindspot has been given just a half season next year to come to it's conclusion as a series. Blacklist rolls on, can't wait to see where Red is headed and how the team approaches it all.

20. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I thought the writing improved a lot this season, the acting has been solid since the second, but I still feel that Spader carries the show. Like all his other roles he owns this one.

As a big Boston Legal fan I got a kick out of seeing him in the courtroom again earlier in the season.

Looking forward to more, hopefully the kid doesn’t have too many episodes. Kids (or when they bring them in) always ruin shows for me.

tdavis0903 likes this.
  21. Dok

Dok Senior Member

22. Season 7? Really? I gas a big fan of the Blacklist and bought the first 3 seasons on BD but after season 4 I stopped caring about it and I don't intend to catch up with it as the last season I watched bored me.

23. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

More insider leaks: I heard that Red opens a law firm in Boston in Season 8.

24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

If Shatner plays his partner I'm in.

25. One more reason for me to stay away.