The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I apologize, I totally missed that announcement in the trades. This current season sure feels like a finale is on the way, don't you think?

Red Reddington has been "dying" of an incurable disease for the last 2-3 years, so you wonder how much longer they can continue this thing.

I gotta agree she is the weakest link. The recent shows have featured a lot of Spader, and that's actually held my interest, as silly as the stories sometimes get. BTW, I kind of wince at the COVID-based production rules, where everybody stands far apart and has conversations. But maybe it's just me, because I notice this crap.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

It’s always better without her
    I never understood her magic over the people she works with as she lies to them and treats them like crap yet they just keep bending over backwards for her
    If they would kill her off I could go back to the show because as others have said, much better with Red

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  3. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

My problem with THE BLACKLIST since it started the Katarina stuff last season is that it is not as good as it was before they did that.

In other words, it is competing with itself and failing to live up to the previous high standard.

That said, I'm not ready to bail out on it yet, but I do want the issues with Liz resolved soon. I've found when they are writing a series of connected episodes that it is not as interesting as the stand-alone ones (I'm thinking of the one where the guy claimed to be Liz's dad in particular).

JcS

4. I'd be fine with Liz getting killed and the Blacklist turning into The Red Show. It would be easy to do now that she's a bad guy.

I can understand a not-so-great actor getting cast but I don't understand why the producers don't make them improve their skills when it's apparent that they are lacking. It reminds me of Gotham where the young actor cast as Bruce Wayne could not act very well. Every summer I hoped they'd send him to acting school. Every fall it was quite apparent that they had not.

Vidiot, budwhite and shokhead like this.
  5. Joey Self

I don't keep up with celebrity stuff, but is Megan Boone pregnant or doing another project or something that made them have to minimize her?

JcS

6. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

According to what I’ve read it’s part of the storyline.

7. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Can't stand Liz-focused storylines, whether there in-person or virtually.

Aram & Ressler are two sides of the same coin. The former is a puppy-dog with a big, unrequited crush on Liz, while the latter in an incompetent agent that actually had sex with her. Both have huge blind-spots wrt Liz.

Agent Park is woefully underutilized. She came in with wonderful dark side, which was only recently, and unsatisfactorily, touched-upon barely in one episode this season.

I miss Samar. Although I never bought into her & Aram's relationship long-term.

Harold is drinking a lot.

Love, love, love Dembe in general.

Spader is a gift, and I would watch/listen read the phone book.

8. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

This!

marmalade166 and jpelg like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Also love Dembe. Was so hard to watch him get tortured last week.

jpelg likes this.
  10. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I suspect Megan Boone is having another baby. Elizabeth Keen can't really have another kid; that would be even worse than when she had the first one.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Joey Self

Wouldn't it be an angle to the tale if it's Ressler's baby?

JcS

kevywevy likes this.
  12. shokhead

Dembe baby would be a twist

seacliffe301, Vidiot and jpelg like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

without elizabeth the show has been wonderful, no question about it.

spader is one of greatest actors, i only wish his movie career had been more prolific.

also a dembe fan.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

how huge would a netflix movie about boston legal be right now...spader and shatner together again, 30 years later.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

She ran off and did another show for Amazon, The Underground Railroad, which will be available for streaming in May. My guess is they let her off for 4 months to let her do the other show and just covered for her by saying "she's on the run." I actually think the show has gotten better without her.

16. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Anyone else notice Cooper telling Dembe that he'd make a great detective... maybe seeds for a spinoff when this is over?
    I'd be in for that... hell, I'd even be in if they floated Detective Dembe over to the SVU Squad on Thursday nights.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  17. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

You know, villains and rivals can treat Reddington terribly, given his past deeds he probably has it coming from them, but when they dragged Dembe into it last episode, well, that was one of the most satisfying escapes and turns of the table, using her own tactic on that horrible woman, I've seen in movies or tv ever. I sound as bitter as Keen now!

George P likes this.
  18. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I'm in the minority in that I love the current story line. That being said, A certain amount of disbelief has to be suspended considering that Katrina put Agnes at risk. Arum in the circus? I love it.

teodoro likes this.
  19. shokhead

She’s a wonderful mother that puts child first
    Lol

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  20. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Doppelgangers and characters with amnesia are just about the dumbest soap opera devices there are. Sad to see Blacklist embrace such dumb concepts.

shokhead likes this.
  21. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

it would be the supporting cast that would be hard to grasp. ****, Mark Valley IS Donald Ressler

rjp likes this.
  22. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Wasn't it super dumb from the beginning? I am late to the show and just finished Season 1. Every single episode was stupid so far.

Scott222C and unclefred like this.
  23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Yes, I didn't like it at first, but I watched it with my wife to make her happy. We usually had the episodes spaced out a few days. After a while I came to enjoy it but it progressively got worse and dumber, you'll see what I mean so I won't spoil it for you. Eventually, even my wife gave up on it.

24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

To fit into the current craziness, it should be Reddington’s baby. And done in some strange lab and tech. Liz doesn’t even know it’s his.

Joey Self likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But he only did it out of compassion, of course.

:idea: Oh wait, here's the crossover...season- or series-finale involves a madcap race to get Liz to the hospital, and they end up at...New Amsterdam...only it's the ER, so she only sees Hot ER Doctor Chick...until the very last scene, where Ryan Eggold wanders in to ask, "How can I help...?" And suddenly we see Red is still her father, but Ressler is the anesthesiologist, and the last 9 seasons have been Liz' coma-induced fantasy.

It's St. Elsewhere all over again! :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Coppertop Tester, jpelg and unclefred like this.