The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. I watched the first three so far, not bad, not great either but I'll stay with it for a while.

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The whole point of this week's episode was to centre on the husband - is he or isn't he what he appears to be? [My guess - obviously not and that Reddington is telling the truth about him.] The bomb threat (and the husband's alleged association with the femme fatale mercenary terrorist carrying it out) was merely an excuse - almost 'McGuffin' like - to draw out that plot line. So what if the show explained away detonating the dirty bomb underwater. And yes, the resolution was quick and convenient and would not have worked out that way in real life - but this isn't real life. There are just as many or perhaps even more convenient, preposterous, unrealistic and illogical premises and plot devises on almost every other drama on television. And afterall, this is a fantasy-spy-action-thriller.

BTW, it was almost tied with 'Castle' for first place in the ratings for that time slot, but lead comfortably in the coveted 18-49 demo, and apparently is doing very, very well in the live + 3 day viewing numbers. Anyone hoping that this will be cancelled any time soon is probably going to be disappointed.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Most people here do not want it to be canceled; most people here want it to be better.

cwsiggy and progrocker71 like this.
  4. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

We watched the 2 most recent episodes back to back a couple nights ago. I can really get the criticisms, and can't argue with them either. Still, I like the show as Spader makes it better than most of the other crap they show.

It's season 1 - they can make it better and hope they do, but the potential is still there if they have the brains and patience to run with it.

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

He doesn't. I think they're just trying to push the envelope as far as possible. Like I said, this show is essentially Silence of the Lambs or Seven territory, but a lot less smart.

6. Hippie Saint

Hippie Saint Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks!:) Thought I missed out on the part where they explain why, when I went to take a leak.

7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Robert Sean Leonard, Dr. Wilson from "House", is the villain tomorrow night.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how many episodes so far?

9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I think six. All new since the premiere.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, thanks...

11. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I have three theories that can relate Lizzy and Raymond Reddington, on that order:

1- Raymond is Lizzy's fater, which is something that can be revealed further in the series and could explain many things. I got to this conclusion with two leads, first, when they were in Toronto to meet a contact, Lizzy said something like he may be too old to be Raymond's girlfriend, but Raymonds answered back that by the age, he could be his father. On episode 5 when they were on the chinese subterranean computer room and the chinese first suspected of Lizzy, Raymond said that no matter how the situation was, he would always risk his life to protect her. These are not exact words, but what I remember from the episodes.

2- Raymond could be involved with some dirty deeds in the past with Lizzy's father, things may have gone South and Lizzy's father's may end up dead. Raymond may feel responsible for that and want to compensate/whas his guilty helping Lizzy to boost her career.

3- Raymond may have killed Lizzy's father for unkown reason's, a job together that went bad for Lizzy's fault, Lizzy's fault may have worked together on some dirty job and then tried to betray him.

How knows, this is a tricky series, the cases may not look tricky, some more than others, but it reminds me of Fringe 1st season, there's a tricky background that could lead to a very different kind of plots ans the series goes on. And don't remember how many series don't give the best of them on their first season only to end up outstanding shows by season two on.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Maybe Raymond is Tom's father. They don't get along or have competing goals in the spy world so Raymond has attached himself to Lizzy for retribution.

Anything is possible here.

13. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

You may be right, that may be another possibility, but is an actor I dislike so much (plays always the same role role, as 90210 the "alternative" kind of guy on hos mid to late 30's though I'm sure he's over 40, with the same register, a guy that's attached to a woman that's has more character, stamina and who is looks stronger than him) that I even didn't think about him.

14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I recently discovered the TV Land website posts old eppies of Boston Legal-Spader at his snarkiest!
    As to the Blacklist-remember this is the same network that brought back Revolution, was seriously considering cancelling Parenthood (a truly unique show by current network tv standards), is treating it's best comedy (Parks and Rec) like crap, and thinks Ryan Seacrest is the Second Coming. Enjoy Blacklist while you can-NBC will find a way to mess it up. It's in an intense timeslot, and I end up having to watch it on demand (which also sucks because, hey, NO FAST FORWARDING!).

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Already renewed for a full season. Compared to everything else NBC has at the moment, The Blacklist is a huge hit. One of the rare shows being shot and edited in 4K, BTW.

Very well said. :righton: I can just hear the pitch: "It's like Silence of the Lambs, only we made the sociopath not a killer... just an arrogant world-class con artist who's well-connected!"

The worst thing about the show is that they have to wrap up each individual storyline in each episode. I much prefer the technique of 24, Lost, etc. where there's a much bigger overarching story and each episode is just one chapter in that epic tale. This just feels kinda cheap and hurried to me. But what else are we gonna watch? Everything else sucks more.

Dave likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

boston legal 's last 5 minutes on the balcony could have been a show in itself.....mesmerizing every single week.

17. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Interesting episode last night. I did not notice any major plot holes so that was a step in the right direction. Just more ineptitude from Lizzy: it's okay to save the security guard but not okay to let the kid live. The last minute was intriguing and unexpected.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

VERY.
    My wife was like 'WTF just happened here? Did he say what I thought I heard?"

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What did he say, exactly, that was so surprising? I got the impression that's the house he used to live in, and he destroyed it because it held bad memories. Maybe I missed something?

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Letting the guy escape after the courthouse incident was idiotic. Glad she got taken down a notch for that.

(BTW: Like those special windows in the courthouse that crash into a million pieces with a single bullet hole).

But to assume that injecting his son with a very hastily concocted antibody was going to work was pretty far-fetched, and killing him rather than letting him do the injection didn't seem a bad choice.

21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

About how I feel.

22. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Sleepy Hollow is a much more intelligent and believable show...and that's a genre show about a time traveling Ichabod Crane fighting off the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse in modern day Sleepy Hollow.

...and it's STILL much more involving and has much stronger characters than The Blacklist.

23. The Panda

Something to the effect of 'all the years cannot erase the pain of what went on in there'. Intriquing...why destroy it now? What bad memories?

24. The Panda

sorry, tried it and just couldn't get past the implausability to me; obviously YMMV

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Strange seeing Wilson from HOUSE play a bad guy..

I'm hoping they can turn this show into something better like Hannibal.