The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I meant that I should go to the Bluegrass festival instead of the Blues&Brews.
    Terrific lineup indeed!

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Jerry, I love Red Allen's playing a lot, and he recorded with a bunch of nice lineups. The old Rebel and County recordings of his are favorites of mine. And still enjoyed. You have great taste in music. You've turned me on to some nice music. Thanks!!!!!

Jerry likes this.
  3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Thanks for those nice words! Always happy to recommend something. In post #4 of this thread, I recommended an album that had heavy Red Allen influence. If you don't have it, you need it! Here's what I said, and what the LP/CD looks like:

Recently I was listening to the 1975 album "Pistol Packin' Mama" by Frank Wakefield and the Good Old Boys, and was blown away by the brilliant interplay between banjo master Don Reno and legendary fiddler Chubby Wise. It's a shame that the earlier recordings (1962) of those two with Frank Wakefield and Red Allen are scattered and tough to find.

[​IMG]

Spadeygrove, ianuaditis and McLover like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, this one I need to hunt down. This one is worth listening to. A shame about the 1962 Red Allen recordings being so rare and scarce and scattered.

Jerry likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I've been listening to a lot of Eddie Adcock's recordings of late, that $.25 NOS promo 45 of "Limehouse Blues" on CMH sure has seen a lot of spins at Casa de McLover.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You should order the Smithsonian Folkways Red Allen and Frank Wakefield title as well, since you are in radio, you should e-mail them to get you a 60% discount for radio.

Jerry and McLover like this.
  7. Jerry

I agree with Brad! While the vinyl version is nice to have, the CD version has a ton of bonus cuts, including six outtakes from the album sessions. Banjo great Bill Keith appears on many tracks, from he original album and outtakes. I have both CD and LP. My vinyl copy was autographed by Frank, who between sets of a show in Soquel, CA about 35-40 years ago, chatted me up about learning to play the mandolin, and he kindly gave me a pick! Love how he backs talkwards....

upload_2018-1-21_12-23-18.png

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    McLover likes this.
  8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is a neat story. Here's the link to my previous post for those who wish to order the album.

The BLUEGRASS thread

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

JRM, McLover and Dok like this.
  10. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Great cover of White Room with John Cowan.

budwhite and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Billy Strings!

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

He is amazing. Kid picks guitar like his hair is on fire.

JRM likes this.
  13. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Loving his recent album Turmoil and Tinfoil

Dennis0675 likes this.
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Is Tedeschi Trucks Band going to playing acoustic?

JRM likes this.
  15. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Billy bump!

lazydawg58 and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Jerry

IMG_0288.jpg

Last Sunday at a record show I finally found one of my elusive bluegrass Holy Grail LPs. So rare that I have only seen pictures of it, and only cuts from it have been released on a CD collection of bluegrass music from the New England region. Fortunately, the vinyl is in near mint shape, considering it was pressed in 1963! I'm a huge Jim Rooney and Bill Keith fan, and the legendary (in these parts) Joe Val is the mandolinist and handles some vocals. I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying used vinyl, so the $15 price tag shows you how much this album means to me. Worth it alone for Bill Keith's version of "Devil's Dream".

McLover, Ken E., Dok and 5 others like this.
  17. Jimmy Cagoots

Jimmy Cagoots Senior Member

So true, but I guess it takes one to know one!

Jerry likes this.
  18. Jerry

19. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Congrats on the find!

Jerry likes this.
  20. Jerry

Thanks! Until now, I relied on this CD for 9 of the cuts from the Prestige LP:
    [​IMG]

21. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Billy bump!

Donal likes this.
  22. trd

trd Forum Resident

Saw him open for greensky at a Denver run in 2015 (or 14?) and we were blown away. No one had any idea what was coming when he took the stage. It’s been great watching his career really take off.

23. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Doc and Merle Watson’s Guitar album on Flying Fish spinning as I peck, great sound with the expected musical excellence.
    Another plug for the recent set from the Bear Stanley people, vinyl version is killer, imagine CD box kills as well.

24. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

You just can’t beat Doc and Merle.

lazydawg58, McLover and Ken E. like this.
  25. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

I read a few years ago that some well known person commented that bluegrass musicians were the greatest musicians in the world, that is all they do. When they work, they play music and when they are not working they are playing music. They play music because they love it. Don't recall who said it, and I was paraphrasing.