" The Book of the Damned " by Charles Fort - Have you read it?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

And if so what did you think of it? This is a real book that I originally bought back in 1968 or so. I haven't looked at it in a long time so I pulled it off the shelf and began to re-read it. This is NOT the same "Book of the Damned" that you might have seen on the TV show "Supernatural". This is about exclusionary science. Anyhow, I would love to hear anyone else's opinion of the book.

2. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I bought my copy (Ace paperback) about the same time you did. My first disappointment was that it was old (1919 it turns out) so no latest news on flying saucers. Second, Fort's writing style-- snide, pompous and often irrelevant-- was extremely distracting and off-putting. I struggled to get past the first couple chapters and gave up. The book is still on my shelf (now in a Dover single-volume edition that includes his other books) but I feel no special urgency in revisiting it. I've concluded the only way to get through the book is to forget about reading it cover to cover, and to just pick a chapter as the mood strikes.

3. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought it because I was a UFO fanatic at the time. He pre-dated Chariots of the Gods by about 50 years. I agree about his writing style, and I read a chapter or 2 through and then might re-read it again to get the point of it. Some of his writing is very sarcastic and quite funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.