The Brady Bunch Blog

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Feb 14, 2017.

1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I am put to mind, from the same general late Sixties period of origin, Steven Sondheim's musical " Company " - Has anybody, I ask yes, made THIS association before:laughup:...........? - Where the central character is also named " Bobby ", and one song start is with the other characters - Is it " Being Alive "?:sigh: - starts with other characters going " Bobby, baby! Bobby Bubie! ":D!!!

2. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Check out the date for that Vince Vaughn story - it’s over seven years old. I remember reading about it years ago. It’s safe to assume that that project is dead.

As for Eve Plumb: time mellows people. And money talks, too.

I don’t get depressed when I see the older “kids”. And I’m old enough to have seen the show in first-run. I think it’s nice that the actors seems to have a genuinely close relationship. And they have such fond memories of the adult actors. In one scene in the new series, Maureen was tearing up as she remembered Florence, and Eve mock-chastised her: “Don’t start! Don’t you start!”

None of the Bradys made their eyes “slanted” that I recall, but in the “Fender-Benders” episode, both Mike and Carol do bad Chinese accents after Mike is compared to Charlie Chan.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. MikaelaArsenault

5. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

And are they on the set of The Dating Game? :)

6. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

7. MikaelaArsenault

They're not.

MikeInFla likes this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

They're dramas in the same way that "The Andy Griffith Show" airing on Sundance is a movie.

Don't get me wrong, I like "The Andy Griffith Show", but there is over 100 years of cinema to choose from, so why some of those networks that were originally made to air movies are showing old sitcoms makes no sense. (I know, they're worried about their bottom line, so showing old sitcoms may make them more revenue than airing a movie from, let's say, the 1930s.) But, enough of that rant.

To turn this back to the topic of the thread, I found Season One of "The Brady Bunch" for $5.00. They only had that season, a few copies of it, but nothing past season one. I don't know if other Big Lots stores across the US have the other seasons, or any seasons at all, because I'm not sure how much their DVD selection varies from store to store.

MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

The Andy Griffith Show on Sundance is actually part of a morning block.

MikeInFla and Grand_Ennui like this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

For those who have MeTV, A Very Brady Christmas will be airing at 6:00 PM tonight.

11. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I can’t stand that movie, and I liked the original series, which I grew up with. The movie is schmaltzy in a way that the series rarely was. Sherwood Schwartz himself wrote it, and he actually wrote just a couple of episodes of the original series (the pilot, and the backdoor pilot “Kelly’s Kids”). And Florence Henderson’s hamminess, which started to show up during the last season of the original series, is on full display during the movie.

It’s a shame they couldn’t do a Christmas movie without the excessive melodrama for each character. Just make it about the kids trying to make their way home for Christmas, with lots of clips from the original series.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I assume from this that you wouldn't have liked the dramedy series The Brady's that came out the following year.

13. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Nope - it was terrible. The original is not exactly high art, but it’s well cast and well acted. But the Christmas movie and the series the following year are cringeworthy.

14. AirJordanFan93

I watched the Christmas movie on YouTube last weekend for the first time in a few years. It's pretty corny and tries way too hard to be wholesome especially with that naff ending with the building collapse and banging on the head reference to the Christmas episode from the 1st season while Mike is still trapped in the rubble is so awful.

15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

What a corny movie (watching it now on MeTV).

Lots of feathery, curly perms!

Cindy looks different!

16. AirJordanFan93

Different actress. Not an uncommon thing for Brady reunion shows. All 3 Brady daughters have been played by a different actress at some point.

17. Paul Gase

This version of Cindy was a-ok.

18. Paul Gase

Why are paramedics and the fire dept not at the collapsed building? Two cops and a TV reporter?

Also, popular LA KLOS morning jocks Mark and Brian appear as extras in the gathered crowd at the building site. You can see them behind Carol and Alice as Mike’s boss informs Carol that Mike is trapped inside.

19. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Missed it this time around. Might catch it later online. I remember liking it when it first aired.

20. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

The worst is when Mike walks out after Carol’s little number (which somehow works a miracle). The camera pans up to the street sign and the reporter says, “It’s another miracle on 34th street!” Groan.

chilinvilin and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

If you have CMT, it will be on December 11th at 2:00 AM.

MikeInFla and Veggie Boy like this.
  22. AirJordanFan93

Oh yeah, Utter cringe

Kyle B and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. MikaelaArsenault

IFC will be showing both The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel on Friday, Jan 1.

Hep Alien and MikeInFla like this.
  24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Wonder if they will show the censored or uncensored version?

25. MikaelaArsenault

It's going to be the uncensored version.