The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Thanks for this -- didn't know it existed, but it's pretty awesome!

2. TheOtherDude

TheOtherDude Forum Resident

My guess is they’re waiting until they can support the release with at least a US and Euro tour. Unfortunately with all the restrictions still out there it may be awhile.

Record Rotator likes this.
  3. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Here is another gig from 1999 with Steve. This was the day before Steve got arrested. This is amazing. I went to this tour in Chicago and hoped they would play "Hiroshima Mon Amour" from the new album. I was so happy when they opened with it! They sound incredible on this. "Ripple" and "Myrrh" are fantastic! I love this set list. Notice there are none of the big hits like "Under The Milky Way", "Unguarded Moment", and "Metropolis". This is when Steve refused to play them. I like rebel Steve. They also started playing "After Everything" a couple years before it was released.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    JeffMo likes this.
  4. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

That show in Chicago was excellent.
    I'm not sure I'd say Steve was refusing to play the hits. "Milky Way" has been in the set for every single tour except for 1999, so it just didn't make the set list that one time.

JeffMo and palisantrancho like this.
  5. palisantrancho

He hated playing some of them and would say so, especially "Milky Way" and "Unguarded Moment". I have seen a few tours where he didn't play it or he did very reluctantly. I don't think they get much better live than in this period. Tim was relatively new and was on fire. I followed them from Chicago to Cincinnati in the late 90s. They were that good I needed to see them again. They had so much newer material that was excellent.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    JeffMo and AlienRendel like this.
  6. AlienRendel

I was so stoked after the Chicago show in '98 that I drove to Detroit to see it again the next night, even though I had the flu. It was super-exciting in that period to see them playing again after so many years of not touring the U.S.

factory44, JeffMo, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  7. palisantrancho

Nice! That was the same tour I followed them. I skipped Detroit, but went to Cincinnati the night after. Opened with "Aura".

Oct. 1- Chicago
    Oct. 2- Detroit
    Oct. 3- Cincinnati

longdist01 and AlienRendel like this.
  8. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Yeah, I saw all of those shows in all of those cities in 1998 and 1999. Chicago was House of Blues. Great shows, great venue, great lodging. Really enjoyed those days. Went back there (and the other named cities) in 2002 for AENT.

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The three of you could have met 22 years ago!

Aura, AlienRendel and palisantrancho like this.
  10. palisantrancho

The 2002 show was another of my favorites. I went to that show in Portland Oregon. I was hoping they would play “Radiance” which was my favorite song on the new album and once again they opened with it!

Aura and JeffMo like this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Reminds me of when I went to see Elvis Costello in 2017. On the drive there, "The Loved Ones" came up and I thought how much I love that song but there was no way he'd play it. Got to the show and he opened with it!

12. palisantrancho

13. palisantrancho

Anybody heard the new Steve yet? I just received my CD in the mail. Only took 10 days from Australia to the US. I have listened to most of it on Bandcamp, but tonight I will dive into the entire album. I feel it's too early to give any kind of review yet, but will check back in soon.

StefanWq and JeffMo like this.
  14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Did anyone pick up Marty's RSD release, Noctorum-Sparks Lane? My local didn't have it on RSD but he sourced it when I mentioned that I'd just find it online. Picked it up today, a very pleasing Marty album that is worthy of a vinyl release. I'm hoping there is a reissue of their third album (Honey Mink Forever) in the plans. Somehow that one evaded me upon release and I'm not so happy not having with a missing Marty album in my collection.

[​IMG]

Noctorum ‎– Sparks Lane
    Label:
    Schoolkids Records (2) ‎– SMR-065, Heyday Records (2) ‎– SMR-065
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Moody Grey
    US
    Released:
    12 Jun 2021
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Alternative Rock, Indie Rock

bmh5879 and D.B. like this.
  15. AlienRendel

Yeah. This new vinyl sounds nice and it’s good to revisit this album.

SJP likes this.
  16. Russian_Autumn_Heart

Russian_Autumn_Heart Forum Resident

Several months ago, I found an original Australian Parlophone pressing of The Church's Seance on vinyl at a used store for $10. The record was in pretty rough shape, with a locked groove skip at the end of my favorite track, “Electric.” Aside from the minor inconvenience of having to lift the needle at that point, however, the sound still came through in style.

After trying over these months to repair the locked groove skip to no avail, I finally somehow repaired it with a toothpick this evening. There is now a pop instead of a skip, but at least the song plays through.

I'm on cloud nine now.

D.B., AlienRendel, factory44 and 2 others like this.
  17. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

Mr Kilbey once again releases new music with little or no publicity (outside Australia, at least).
    I'm one of those Luddites who still buy physical media - even with the outrageous cost of international shipping.
    As soon as I saw palisantrancho's post, I searched on line, only to find that the CD version of The Hall of Counterfeits was sold out on Bandcamp.
    However while browsing jpc.de I saw the CD listed on backorder, I ordered it, not really expecting a result.
    Lo and behold, jpc came through: I just got an Email confirming shipment along with a copy of GAF on marbled vinyl.

A big Thank You to palisantrancho for making me aware of this music.
    Also, to anyone who has Steve's ear. Please ask him to consider getting some management... I know that he's been ripped off multiple times, but I really think tha some coordination of his prolific output could help him get his music out there to his fans around the world - and maybe some new ones too.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    palisantrancho likes this.
  18. InStepWithTheStars

Steve mainly just sells CDs directly now via PayPal. This one is A$50 including shipping, which comes out to like $37 USD. Pretty ridiculous for a new CD, until you remember that every Steve Kilbey CD appears on Discogs for $80 within months of its release.

palisantrancho likes this.
  19. palisantrancho

I bought mine from Gareth Koch's bandcamp site. He plays on the album. He had the CD for sale for 20AUD plus 20 shipping to the US. Much cheaper than buying from Steve. The package arrived quickly and the shipping cost Gareth more than the 20, so they are even eating a bit of the shipping cost. It cost me a total of $29 US. Not bad for a double album shipped from Australia. I do agree that they need some distribution over here. Marty manages to get it done. Steve has even said that this album will eventually be released on vinyl. What will that cost from Australia!?

SJP likes this.
  20. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

I think you're helping me make my point about management and PR.
    If the CDs are ending up on Discogs at $80, then surely that proves that there's an untapped market for Steve's music.
    I'd rather support Steve than a CD flipper.
    I don't play in the cess pits that are Facebook , Instagram etc. but I'd like to know when great artists like Steve Kilbey are releasing new music, The Time Being site appears to be dying a slow death. If Steve isn't able to update it or whatever he should ask for help from someone who can.

21. palisantrancho

I hear ya and understand not wanting to be on social media, but you can just use it to follow bands and any other interests. Marty posts a blog there everyday. It just becomes much easier for an artist to use Facebook and Instagram rather than maintaining their own site. It's the only reason I am on Facebook. I wish there was another way, but that is where 99 percent of bands, films, and artists get the word out on anything coming up. Steve heavily posts on Instagram and Facebook these days. I loved the Time Being site, but haven't been on there in years.

22. InStepWithTheStars

Steve spends every moment he's not making art on Instagram. That's (unfortunately) the place to go for updates. It's an awful platform custom-tailored to people with an attention span in negative numbers, but hey, at least Steve's on it.

Why is this in the Church thread? Didn't this conversation start in the SK solo thread?

23. InStepWithTheStars

Also, as much as having a distributor makes sense, the simple answer is that Steve doesn't really care. He has a rocky history with letting other people handle his releases and he knows that the devoted will continue to buy directly from him - this is the path of least resistance for him.

24. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Just bought Hall of Counterfeits for $16.19 and another copy of Eleven Woman for $15.70 on Importcds.com. They have them listed on eBay too, but you'll pay $5 more per title.

As of this post, there are more than 10 copies of HOC in stock.

25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Perhaps the vinyl will be done like the Kilbey/Kennedy Jupiter 13 vinyl via pledge through Qrates. That one is STILL in production (I'm guessing). That is the bad news. The good news is that it was about $36 shipped which is really good for such a limited run.

Aura and palisantrancho like this.