The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Robbieboy

Robbieboy Forum Resident

Pretty sure I've seen a recent interview where his position on this has softened and he did name check his former band.

2. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Marty is a voracious listener of music, I’d be shocked if he hadn’t heard the Church albums since he left, but I wouldn’t expect him to ever comment on them publicly.

3. wallpaperman

Not read any recent interviews, but to this day in his daily blog, they are still the ‘ex band’. I enjoy reading about his life, but do find that a bit childish.

4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I would agree. There is no way he wouldn't be curious to hear what they are up to. He is also still friends with Tim.
    He recently said he ran into Steve at a concert and they both said hello to each other. I agree that it is very childish. They played in a band together for decades, and they are the reason that anyone even knows who Marty is. That's not to say that he couldn't have become well known on his own, but it's unlikely. I love Marty, but The Church will always be the best band he was ever a part of.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Played K/K Jupiter 13 followed by Isidore last evening.

6. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Martin Kennedy just sent a notification that All India Radio's The Slow Light (LP/CD combo release 2016) is available in a very small remaining quantity in the US. What cool cover art by the artist who created Miles In The Sky. I'm a huge fan of jazz and Miles Davis. I just grabbed one since I missed out originally. I was also happy to pay more than the $24 asking price.

All India Radio - The Slow Light 180gram Blue Vinyl (lncludes CD & download) from Behind The Sky Distribution

Discogs Entry:
    All India Radio - The Slow Light

SJP likes this.
  7. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I was meaning to come back and thank you for this post. I downloaded it right away but never got around to listening until yesterday. It's a fantastic radio gig, replete with the band's wit, some wonderful improvisation and a set list and/or acoustic reinterpretation that caught me off guard in a really good way. That version of 'Tristesse' acoustic is so good.

I think I delayed listening since I have a few radio shows of that era, including Sum of the Parts, so I was expecting more or less an inferior version of those, but this is probably now my favorite.

arob71 and StefanWq like this.
  8. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

You’re welcome! I’ve listened to several of the other performances, too, and they’re all very laid back and thoroughly enjoyable. So glad they’ve been made available.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Got my tickets for the North American tour. I haven't been this excited for a show in years! March can't come fast enough. I will have the entirety of The Hypnogogue tattooed on my brain by then.

10. DankFridge

Also, Ionian Blues is such a beauty. Can't stop playing it.

factory44 and StefanWq like this.
  11. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I think this is the cover:
    [​IMG]

craigobau and StefanWq like this.
  12. DankFridge

That's the single cover for the title track. According to Brooklyn Vegan, this is the album cover:

[​IMG]

Tracklist:

1. Ascendence
    2. C'est La Vie
    3. I Think I Knew
    4. Flickering Lights
    5. The Hypnogogue
    6. Albert Ross
    7. Thorn
    8. Aerodrome
    9. The Coming Days
    10. No Other You
    11. Succulent
    12. Antarctica
    13. Second Bridge

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Cool. It's a nice album cover.

StefanWq and DankFridge like this.
  14. DankFridge

Feels like a throwback to the Remote Luxury/Sing-Songs aesthetic. I love it. It's already my wallpaper, lol.

palisantrancho and StefanWq like this.
  15. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

If you don't have this album, buy it now. :)

StefanWq, 100423, JeffMo and 3 others like this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

All Church and Pink Floyd fans need this masterpiece! :cool:

18. DankFridge

C'est La Vie just dropped!!

Big Heyday/Gold Afternoon Fix vibes on this one!! Love it, especially the final minute.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  19. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I was thinking total Remote Luxury vibes but yeah, great single!

20. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Any Qobuz users finding it super frustrating how they’re missing so much Church/Kilbey material? I don’t get it since all the other platforms have it all.

21. palisantrancho

I was going to wait to listen, but couldn't resist. Something has happened to Steve's vocals. I'm not crazy about his vocals on this or the last single. It's a minor complaint, but it does bother me. His voice was excellent on the last Church album. I'm not getting much of an 80s vibe. I think it really sounds like something that could have been on Man Woman Life Death Infinity. So far, I'm not hearing how it will top the last album. I'll need to spend more time with this new song and hopefully I'll fall in love with it. Does he sing "Fizzle in the Drizzle"? For a moment I thought I might be listening to a Snoop Dog album. :)

StefanWq likes this.
  22. DankFridge

He does sound different... I forgot he is 68 now. Maybe it's an artistic choice? I agree about his vocals on Man Woman... especially Dark Waltz. Outstanding.

StefanWq and palisantrancho like this.
  23. palisantrancho

Yes. His vocals seemed to change shortly after the last Church album. I also notice it on many of his latest solo and side projects. After “The Hypnogogue” was released I said that it sounds like he has a new set of teeth or is chewing gum or sucking on a lozenge while singing. It’s a bit distracting, but the songs and the music still sound great. I hope I love the new album. If not, there are at least 50 other Church or Steve Kilbey albums I can listen to.

StefanWq likes this.
  24. DankFridge

C'est La Vie goes from "very good" to "great" in the last minute and a half for me. Classic haunting Church build and release. The new guitar team are as solid and Peter and Marty ever were. I'm enjoying the Hypnogogue title track even more in headphones. It's darker than anything on Man Woman Life Death Infinity. It will be very interesting to see (hear) our modern world through Steve's eyes.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    JeffMo and StefanWq like this.
  25. wallpaperman

Yes, it’s now available to ‘pre download’ on Apple Music in the UK and that is the album cover displayed. Friday 24 February is the release date.

Hope we are able to easily buy the physical edition in the UK, the impression previously from Steve was that it was getting properly distributed in the UK and Europe.

StefanWq, craigobau and JeffMo like this.