The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I can’t agree with this. They do a fine job but Marty and Peter were on another level.

2. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have worded that better. I just meant the new guys compliment each other well. Of course Marty and Peter are the true architects, always will be.

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I just realized that there are BONUS TRACKS on the download. Instant buy for outtakes and ambient mixes. Plus the main album is 24-bit/88.1kHz.

StefanWq, Aura and JeffMo like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

They have rather quietly released both Expanded Editions and Ambient Editions of their first 4 or 5 albums now.

StefanWq, Aura and ad180 like this.
  5. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

ian christopher and AlienRendel like this.
  6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

D.B., morgan1098 and ian christopher like this.
  7. DankFridge

Am I nuts or are some of the songs on Sometime Anywhere (2 disc edition) vastly different volumes?

ian christopher likes this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm revisiting this album in the home office today and really enjoying it. :righton:

Bonddm, DankFridge and StefanWq like this.
  9. DankFridge

Submarine is one of my absolute favorite Church tracks. So ambient and chill.

Bonddm, JeffMo and StefanWq like this.
  10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

My partner isn’t a big Church fan, but absolutely loves this one.

11. DankFridge

Great track. Many of you probably know this - but Steve said he wrote it imagining a friend gushing over the "hottest, hippest new band playing nearby"... this is what he imagined the hypothetical band would sound like. How many songwriters in their sixties would still challenge themselves like that? He is a genius!

Bonddm, StefanWq and palisantrancho like this.
  12. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

The Church- Radiance. What an amazing song. It was my favorite song on the album when it was released. When they toured this album I was so happy when they opened with this song.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I love that album and wish I could have caught that tour!

14. DankFridge

Transcendent. When he sings "the icons in the church crying tears of blood" = instant chills

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Tonight I’m revisiting Further/Deeper, which admittedly is one I don’t pull out very often.

Maybe it’s fresh to my ears still, but I’m digging it! :cool:

16. DankFridge

When you take off your head...

StefanWq and JeffMo like this.
  17. DankFridge

Just now realizing what an amazing song Day 5 is. It seemed like a low-key/straight ahead song at first until I noticed the all extra pillowy ambient gauze it's wrapped in. Steve's lyrics seem to be set in outer space as well, complimenting the music perfectly. Extra spacey! It must mean something to them as I've noticed they play it live a lot. Untoward/Day 5/Song To Go is a great triptych to close Uninvited. I can't get enough of that vocoder break in STG.

JeffMo and StefanWq like this.
  18. DankFridge

19. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I just learned yesterday that MWP is playing a house concert ~2 miles from my house. I reserved a couple tickets. What an unexpected surprise! I could walk there, but it's dry January for me so I won't need to walk there. ;)

I had already planned to see the free Cactus Cafe show downtown on Saturday.

20. DankFridge

Lucky you!

StefanWq likes this.
  21. DankFridge

Less than a month until The Hypnogogue!

22. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Less than a month and no sign of anything other than a download release....

Musiko likes this.
  23. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

From Facebook:

The Church NEWS RELEASE

Long - serving Australian psych-rockers THE CHURCH have signed with UK label Easy Action Records. The new partnership will see a UK and European release for the band’s brand new full-length The Hypnogogue. Recorded just prior to the Covid pandemic, the album is the band’s first new studio album in six years and the first to feature the newest line-up of founder, bassist and vocalist Steve Kilbey, drummer Tim Powles, guitarists Ian Haug and Ashley Naylor, and multi-instrumentalist Jeffrey Cain. The Hypnogogue is set for release on CD and vinyl in the UK/Europe in the Spring - confirmed date to be announced shortly.

The Easy Action deal will also see Kilbey’s expansive solo and collaborative back catalogue getting a much needed physical release, including a first time physical release for some previously download-only items. Dating back to the mid-80s, the extraordinarily prolific Kilbey has released dozens of solo albums alongside collaborations with various musicians such as Grant McLennan (The Go-Betweens), Donnette Thayer (Game Theory), Martin Kennedy (All India Radio) and Frank Kearns (Cactus World News). The first planned reissues will be Kilbey’s most recent solo albums, 2020’s Eleven Women and 2021’s The Hall Of Counterfeits, both set for release on CD and vinyl this summer, with the CD box sets Surge and Monsters & Mirages – in a new expanded edition – towards the end of the year.

“It is the Church’s absolute pleasure to be getting into bed with Easy Action records in the UK,” announces Kilbey . “It seems especially auspicious that the company is named after a T Rex song. Hopefully we can add the Solid Gold component (ha ha!)… It’s been awhile in the UK since we had someone so needless to say we are damned excited!!”

Formed in 1980, The Church found early chart success in their homeland, before establishing themselves as an international touring entity, earning a worldwide hit with the single ‘Under The Milky Way’ from their hit 1988 album Starfish. The band has since released a string of consistent and inspiring albums of which The Hypnogogue is the twenty-seventh. Often seen as the Godfathers of an Australian psych/prog scene generating such internationally successful names as Tame Impala and King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard, The Church have gone on to maintain a loyal and far-reaching following as their fanbase has expanded with their evolving sound.

24. DankFridge

25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Best acceptance speech ever!

craigobau, AlienRendel and DankFridge like this.