The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Bijan

Bijan Forum Resident

Damn straight. Me, too.

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Man Jim, figured you were one of the first in line for Shane's test.

3. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I feel the same way about this track. Even Steve Kilbey expressed doubt as to its inclusion.

Bob J likes this.
  4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Huh, that one was one of my first favorites. That chorus could be a half hour and I wouldn't get tired of it. Steve's preacher voice in the intro is great, and the middle part is incredibly tense.

The only song on here that hasn't clicked with me is "The Memory Cloud" - which is weird, because it has my favorite chord sequence (I think). Something about it is just kinda indistinct, which does not match the album at all. I don't mind the song, but I don't seek it out and occasionally I skip it. That's the only one.

5. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I didn't have the cash at the time. When I did... they were sold. sad face!

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

I was so tempted, but figured there were other bigger fans than I that deserved a shot.
    So I passed and got two titles for about the price he was asking for Starfish.
    Hopefully, this will be realized for public manufacture :)

AlienRendel likes this.
  7. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

Oh man... I wonder if there are any early reviews of this...

c-eling likes this.
  8. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Saw Kilby and Piper play an acoustic show at Whelans in Dublin in 1995. Best acoustic show I've ever seen. Piper played a 12 string and the solos he was pulling off were frightening!

SJP likes this.
  9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

^^^ I saw the same tour here in CA.

MWP's brilliance on the 12 string is one of the reasons why his solo shows are magical. Although I love SK solo, I have always given a bit of a nod to Marty as a solo artist because of the excellent uniqueness of his voice (which used to grace a song or two on most Church albums) and that his output for the most part doesn't sound anything like The Church. Seeing him tour the Art Attack album didn't hurt his cause either!

AlienRendel likes this.
  10. c-eling

Publicly, probably none. I'm sure out of respect, either way. :)

cubbykat likes this.
  11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Early reviews, as opposed to???

The IR Starfish release is permanently shelved based on what we know now.

cubbykat, AlienRendel and c-eling like this.
  12. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

Fair point, but did Shane definitively confirm a.) IR is indeed winding down and b.) whatever international re-press caused the non-appearance of this would still be an going issue? I thought the last official IR word on this was that he alluded to some possibility of this appearing via a Kickstarter - however slim that might now be under IR's current circumstances; one can always hold out hope!

13. InStepWithTheStars

Aura, Bob J, SJP and 1 other person like this.
  14. InStepWithTheStars

Ha! Just signed up for Instagram for the sole purpose of following this supposed reissue news, and Kilbey followed me back within ten minutes. Haven't made a single post or left a comment. I guess that makes me special?

wayneklein and Aura like this.
  15. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

or that's just how Instagram works.

16. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Get it?... "Church" lady... 'special,'... Bueller?... Bueller?

17. InStepWithTheStars

Is it? I don't even know what Instagram is. As far as I can figure out, it's basically Twitter, but you're required to put a picture or video with each post. Or like Facebook, but with slightly more subtle farming of personal information. I know that my mother is obsessed with it, and that's about it. She says that Steve Kilbey posts too much. Not sure if that means too often or too personal/revealing. It could well be a mistake on his end that he ended up following me. Made me smile though.

18. InStepWithTheStars

Got the second Isidore CD, but my disc drive has arbitrarily added this disc to the "do not play" list. It seems like every month I get one CD that the computer refuses to read, and it had to be this one when I'm excited to hear it. :disgust:

(Also found out I've been pronouncing Isidore wrong for a long time. When ice a door not a door?)

19. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

If it is a copy controlled disc, hold down the "Shift" key when you insert the disc to stop the autostart function.
    This might solve your problem.

20. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

And, assuming that the CD in question is "Life Somewhere Else", prepare to be blown away.
    IMHO it is one of the best things Kilbey has ever been involved with.

Aura and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  21. InStepWithTheStars

It's not a copy controlled disc, it's just a two-year-old disc drive that probably reached the end of its life a year and a half ago. Auto-start isn't the issue, the issue is that even though I can hear the disc drive motor running, when I click on the D drive on the computer, it says "please insert a disc" and pops the tray open.

I did eventually get a rip of it, but by that point I was too tired to play the whole album. I will spin it today.

22. AlienRendel

Haha....I'm pissed that my 10 year-old drive has started giving me problems!

23. InStepWithTheStars

But have you loaded 3000 CDs to it in the past year and a half? Or are you one of those "normal" people? :nyah:

AlienRendel likes this.
  24. AlienRendel

I wouldn't claim to be normal, but I'm not sure the number is quite that high.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  25. InStepWithTheStars

My trip to Second Motion/Schoolkids which was planned for tomorrow has been pushed to Sunday. If anyone here wants anything, shoot me a PM. I'll probably be leaving for the stores around 10 AM EST (ugh, need to get up early!), make me a list or just send me a specific title you're after and I'll check for you. We will work out payment from there because I can't remember what the price tags on a lot of the discs were. There were also sections for Tommy Keene, Richard Lloyd, and other artists in that stable; again, I can't guarantee stock, but I'd be happy to help build your collections if you're interested.

Second Motion Records
    Schoolkids Records (2)

I believe that all of MWP's releases on Heyday Records were also accounted for (on CD) - perhaps an acquisition or label partnership?