The Cliff Richard Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Thanks for link, I enjoyed watching it.
    Yes it was Gabby Logan.
    Seems strange to hear Brian Bennett talking, he normally stays well clear of interviews, a bit like David Bryce.
    I think the Elton John was on that night, as they also mentioned Tim Rice was on earlier I think, by video link.
    Singing not the best we have seen, nice to see the backing singers on "Rise Up" though. Not shire why Gabby wanted the running order of songs changed.
    My partner thought that Jimmy Tarbuck was dead!
    I think generally Cliff is very well respected in the showbiz world, probably more so now after the "4" years.

2. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

I agree with the last statement. (Well, the rest, too.) I do think that Cliff came out of this experience strengthened, and I think that many who routinely brushed him off as irrelevant and "plastic" realised that Cliff is actually a person, with real emotions, and that he is not impervious to life´s attacks. They had to realise that he was a complete person, which also means that what he has achieved meant that he put a lot of work in - and that it means a lot to him. He has every right to be proud of where he has been and what he has done.

This hour was one of my favourite moments from 2020 - so warm and human.

3. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

No that's just his jokes.........

:winkgrin:

4. Pico1967

Pico1967 Forum Resident

New Cliff autobiograpy on sale 29 October 2020 titled "Cliff Richard - The Dreamer".
    I wonder if there will be a gostwriter? Will it be Penny Junor again, who whas the co-author on "My Life, My Way" in 2009?
    Will it just be an update of "My Life, My Way" or will it be a complete new written book?
    We'll have to wait and see...

The OFFICIAL Cliff Richard Website: Cliff Richard - The Dreamer - Autobiography

Here Cliff talks about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=XhHEG6ATHq8&feature=emb_title

5. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Interestingly, the blurb for the autobiography mentions a new music project. A new album I guess?

mark ab, Tim Cooper and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Jarleboy

Both very interesting. I may need my wallet or credit card soon.

mark ab, Tim Cooper and CheshireCat like this.
  7. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I saw Cliff twice live here in Vancouver in the early 80s. Really got into his music in the mid 70s buying pretty much everything from that point on. Also went back to his early stuff then also. I have an 80 song playlist on my iPhone consisting of the mid 70s and on songs. Love Cliff and his outstanding catalogue of music. He really is a big part of my life playlist.

8. Jarleboy

Is it true that Cliff & The Shadows were much bigger in Canada than in the US? Do you know whether it´s possible to find chart placings in Canada online anywhere? I have read reports that some unusual single releases found their way onto Canadian shelves, but I have never been able to find whether this is true.

I am glad we have at least one fan over there! :righton:

9. Rick H.

He did have much more chart success here in Canada Than the US in the 60s. I use this as one of my resources for chart searching. This is Canada’s national chart. Like Billboard....Search: RPM - Library and Archives Canada. And I use this one also. The charts here in Vancouver.VANCOUVER TOP 40 RADIO PAGE 2

10. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::. I was asked by a very old friend of mine, who likes George Michael "who was this man in this picture?" he sent the pic on whatssap so I uploaded this one to share, gotta be 1985-1985 and they look great[​IMG]

mark ab, CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Jarleboy

Thank you, Rick! :agree: I finally found someone who could help me with this important question. And I kid you not - I really am that much of a Cliff nerd!

12. Jarleboy

He, he... And I like all three of them!

mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  13. Rick H.

Glad I could help. I’m kind of a chart junkie.

14. Jarleboy

Same here. I can pore over those charts for hours. Not that I think they are important per se, but it´s interesting to see what songs competed against each other at any given time. I know, I am sad... :sigh:

mark ab and Tim Cooper like this.
  15. Rick H.

I added another website if you didn’t see it. The Vancouver radio charts.

16. Rick H.

Well with me I make chart playlists. I probably have close to 1000.

17. aravel

::: They look amazing, at their prime!
    Probably a Prince TRust Show in UK?

Since we have -in Mexico- the strong influence of USA music hits, chances are that -at least- the first Song I really can identify of Cliff gotta be 'Suddendly' with Olivia Newton-John. Since one of my older sisters spent a long time living in US she came back with many many Lps, among them 'Xanadu' OST, I can even sing along to the Richard's part!

18. Jarleboy

I already discovered that the dreadful "DONNA" single charted in 1984. I never knew that it did. At No. 13. Not bad.

OK, so it´s the Contemporary Adult chart... Still counts. And the single peaked at No. 7!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  19. Jarleboy

I love the "XANADU" soundtrack! (Though "SUDDENLY" is strangely enough my least favourite on there! Good song, well performed by two artists I love... But there´s something missing. Can´t put my finger on it.)

Have you heard his 1979 "ROCK´N´ROLL JUVENILE" album, retitled "WE DON´T TALK ANYMORE", and resequenced in the US? ,

He also had some other hits with "DEVIL WOMAN", "DREAMIN´", "GIVE A LITTLE BIT MORE" and "A LITTLE IN LOVE" around this time. He disappeared from the US charts in 1983.

20. Jarleboy

Thank you! :love:

mark ab and Rick H. like this.
  21. Rick H.

I have a German release of the Silver CD from 1983. Along with the 9 tracks from the original album are 7 tracks of covers. Well 5 covers and 2 are recordings. I assume that this was the way it was released everywhere or am I mistaken.

22. aravel

::: Oh yeah! I recognized Devil Woman, but never knew for sure who was singing! there's at least 3 radio stations with classics I like, and I'm sure I've listenend to this before :laugh:

23. Jarleboy

This is the way the first Cliff Richard CD was released. (I bought it six moths before I finally bought a CD player.)

What they did was that they combined two LPs released as a box set in 1983, when he celebrated his 25th anniversary. "SILVER" was the pop album, and it received a wide release, and "ROCK´N´ROLL SILVER" was only initially found on the box set below. The latter LP consisted of ten rock´n´roll covers; two of them his own hits "MOVE IT!" and "IT´LL BE ME".

The CD included nine out of ten tracks on "SILVER", dropping "FRONT PAGE", a cod reggae song, and seven from the other LP.

The box set looked like this:

[​IMG]

The LP on wide release looked like this:

[​IMG]

The CD version shared the front cover with the box set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have the LP, the box set and the CD. The remaining tracks on "ROCK´N´ROLL SILVER" were released on "THE ROCK CONNECTION" in 1984.

24. Jarleboy

That´s one of his best, and his biggest hit in the UK - No. 6. It´s not my favourite of his songs, but it is a classic, and deserves its status 100%.

25. Rick H.

Thanks. That clears that up. I never did see the box set here. I bought the remaster also with a Front Page included.