The Commitments--Special Edition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gardo, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist Thread Starter

Okay, friends, this is the one I've been waiting for (info from Amazon):

Aspect Ratio(s):
    Widescreen anamorphic - 1.85:1

Discographic Information:
    DVD Encoding: Region 1
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
    Available subtitles: English, Spanish

Edition Details:
    • Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries.) Read more about DVD formats.
    • Color, Widescreen
    • Commentary by director Alan Parker
    • Theatrical trailer(s), TV spot(s)
    • "The Making of The Commitments"
    • "The Commitments: Looking Back"
    • "Dublin Soul": the working class and changing face of Dublin
    • Making-of featurette
    • "Treat Her Right" music video with introduction by Alan Parker and Robert Arkins
    • Original songs by cast members: "Before the Next Tear Drop Falls" by Andrew Strong and "Taking On the World" by Robert Arkins
    • Still gallery
    • Widescreen anamorphic format
    • Number of discs: 2
    • ASIN: B00018D3XW

March 16th is the street date (so far).

2. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Oh Yeah!!!:):):)

3. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

At last!!!! This is one that I've been waiting for 20th Century Fox get right. The first release of this movie was in pan & scan only, with no extras. Can't wait for this new release. Thanks for the heads up Gardo!! :D

4. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

That'll be one to buy!

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat movie!!!

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It's out today - and it looks and sounds great. It's so nice to finally see this in its proper aspect ratio, and the 5.1 sound is just icing on the cake.

As a Corrs fan, I've been drawn to this movie - it's the one that the four siblings all auditioned for, but only one got a speaking part: Andrea Corr plays Jimmy Rabbitte's younger sister. The other three Corrs are also in the movie in bit parts. It's ironic that the musically talented family didn't get chosen for their musicality, but rather as just actors.

7. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Bought mine today. Can't WAIT to watch it!

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Got this today - verrrrry pretty transfer, the color looks great - grab it!

9. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Harry,

My wife and I are also big fans of the Corrs -- it's a shame they haven't caught on in the US. Great pop music. My wife discovered them when she was working in Switzerland for a few months in 1998 (they immediately became her favorite group), and we've been fans since. I like to encourage her as a music collector whenever I can. :D

Do you think she'd enjoy the movie for the Corrs' appearances?

Jay

10. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I really like the crystal clear letter-boxed shot of Imelda Quirke's a*se coming over the wall.:)

Gardo: Did you catch the shot of Kelly's in the extra documentary about Dublin?

11. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist Thread Starter

Ah, the pleasures of 480p. :righton: That was and is a great movie moment. :righton: :righton:

I haven't made it to the documentary yet. Heck, I haven't finished the movie yet. But knowing Kelly's is there is a powerful motivator for losing some sleep....

The picture is really great, I agree. I have been a bit disappointed by the sound, though. I think the 16-bit PCM track on the old laserdisc has a much fuller, warmer, and more lifelike sound. I haven't A/B'd 'em yet, though, so maybe my memory's playing tricks on me.

12. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

My only disappointment is that Angeline Ball (Imelda Quirke) isn't in the "Looking Back" Documentary.

13. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Mine too. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.