The Compact disc is 30 years old today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I've cleaned every CD (new or second hand) I've ever bought since 1984. I've never had to clean a new album since I started buying them in 1974; second hand albums are always cleaned before their first play. To call vinyl ''high maintenance'' is - quite frankly - puzzling. My brother taught me how to handle vinyl when I was around five years old and I'm still playing albums my brother bought in the early seventies. ONE album returned faulty to the shop since 1969; ONE faulty CD returned to the shop since 1984. Vinyl ''high maintenance'' - definitely not. I love vinyl and I love CDs (usually). I never sold any vinyl when I bought my first CD player in 1984. I don't see it as a competition, never have. Just because you love The Beatles it doesn't mean you can't appreciate The Rolling Stones and vice versa.

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I bought my first CD before I had a CD player. Strange, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

It goes without saying that I've been happy with the format.

3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I was already 4+ years late to the party. I don't recall seeing a movie between 1983 and 1988 with a CD player in any scene. Has anyone else?

4. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I thought I saw one in Weird Science.

5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

That is the first one I ever heard, too.

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Haven't seen that movie in decades.

7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I remember early advertising of CDs stating that 'this is the last time you will ever have to buy this album'. No more skips, scratches, dodgy tapes etc. They never said anything about all the CD remasters, reissues, deluxe editions that would flood the marketplace! I've re-bought some CDs more than I ever did when I used vinyl and cassettes!

sound chaser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.