The Complete Elvis Presley Masters - Sony

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wish they'd have included a disc of mono single mixes for the post-1960 material as released in Elvis' lifetime too.

2. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Aside from the price, my other problems are

(1) it's not complete -- in a project this size, there's always going to be something missing.
    (2) it's not hi-rez (they probably could have fit the entire collection on 15 DVDs with 96/24 audio)
    (3) who has the time to listen through all 30 discs in order to make sure there aren't any defects?

3. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I'd probably consider this if it were around $250.

4. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

From the photos, that is one amazing looking set. Very hard to resist. Heck, I just want to hear how the 'Aloha' & 'MSG' concerts sound compared to the questionable CD releases of the past. (Aloha DVD crushes the CDs)

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Even that is steep for a one shot deal.

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Good to know.

7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laugh:

8. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I e-mailed the company and said, "Where is 'Let's Forget About the Stars'"?
    The response:

Outstanding! That explains everything!

Dyland likes this.
  9. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

This comes in the next step of Elvis-Complete. On Blu-Ray-Audio, in High-Def-Audio. Money makes the world go around.

10. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but do we know who's doing the mastering for this set? Will it be the same mastering as the Time-Life set? Was that set done by Vic Anesini?

11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

All the masters were remastered in 2007 by Vic Anesini.

12. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!

13. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

I wished they would at least put the cds in plastic sleeves before they insert them into those cardboard holders.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wait around. That'll be what the regular edition sells for on eBay in a year. I really hate "artificial collectors editions" like this.

15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Very good news! Yes, prices will come down after a bit of time. Can we we wish for vinyl releases?

16. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

I guess all the live albums have been left in their original sequence to avoid any editing, which absolutely makes sense. And for "Elvis Country" I'm guessing they are using the 1995 masters without the transitions? Plus Disc 29 is a complete disc with only live rarities. A lot of thinking went into this, what a great concept to present the material. It really looks stunning but I think I can happily live with the next edition which will have less of a sticker shock.

17. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Yikes! So Sony has confirmed that one master is missing from the set? This doesn't make any sense?

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Yes, and no reason is given. How strange.

You can go to the website, scroll to the bottom, click "contact us" and write them yourself. Maybe one of us can get more detail.

19. Ultimix

Ultimix Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

20. I, for one, would accept them from him, if he had on nice shoes, and had combed his hair. Good grooming knows no bounds.

21. I have so much of Elvis's songs already , I can here the barking of many of the "Dogs" from some of those lousy soundtracks in the set.:sigh:

22. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

If this were a true complete collection, the "Having Fun with Elvis" recordings would have been included. This was a true gem in Elvis' catalog. RCA even sold it for a while in their normal retail distribution channels after Elvis' death.

23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

RCA released it in 1974 because Elvis didn't do any studio work and was unable to live up to his contract.

24. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I have a copy of Having Fun with Elvis I purchased at an Elvis concert in 1974 (Boxcar Records). I read somewhere that Elvis did not want these outtakes released.
    Anyone else remember reading that as well?

25. TheGregWitul

TheGregWitul Member

It's a stretch to call the rambling contained on 'Having Fun With Elvis on Stage' outtakes, more like badly edited and disjointed snippets of Elvis talking, joking around and humming. It's the worst album in my collection, bar none.

As for the complete recordings set, it's a very nice package, but I'll sit tight and see what happens after the first one thousand are sold. I received the Franklin Mint set as a gift a few months ago and have already made FLAC copies of the entire box and put together all of the original albums, etc. The remastering might be the best I've ever heard released for a major artist. It really lives up to the hype, I just don't know if it holds up to my budget. I can't really complain, though, since I have all the remastered music (excluding the rarities in this new box).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.