The Complete Elvis Presley Masters - Sony

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Same here. Looks really nice, but $750 is too rich for my blood. Hopefully the regular edition will be more reasonable.

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Didn't he record a ton of material circa Dec 1973 at Stax, meant to be issued throughout 1974?

3. monkboughtlunch

This new set is $200-$300 overpriced, IMO. They are milking the limited edition aspect to maximize profit on the first run. Hopefully, they'll reissue it at a lower price point after the first 1000. Who the hell needs a rice paper "certificate of authenticity" anyway?

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I bet they don't for quite a while...:sigh:

5. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

The 50s, 60s & 70s boxes are OOP now & Jorgensen has indicated that they will not be re-done. They really need to do a comprehensive collection of all of his singles...A & B sides...mono all....but also stereo where they exist. Add in a few international singles. I would buy that in a heartbeat. Yes, it's another comp ... but one that is needed provided it's done right!

Dexter

6. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

I think RCA should just stick with the albums and music that was released during Elvis' lifetime. Special order FTD is fine for the other stuff.

7. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Well said. I stand corrected and totally agree with you.

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Not so. The Colonel was the "inspiration" behind that album (it was initially released on his own "Boxcar Records" label and sold at Elvis concerts). It had nothing to do with Elvis' lack of studio recording in 1974, it was just another way to milk the fans.

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I've read from several people that "She's Not You" on the Franklin Mint set fades way early.

Can you confirm that, or was it fixed at some point in the run?

10. MysteryTrain

MysteryTrain New Member

"She's Not You" was corrected and the Franklin Mint sent new copies of the disc to all who had ordered the set.

MT

11. RoyalScam

Excellent news...and welcome aboard! :wave:

12. RoyalScam

Don't know if this has been reported here yet, but I just got this update in the latest ElvisNews.com e-mail blast:

Wade likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. The box will be a very nice set and it would be great to have it, but it is hard to justify that price. The book is the real enticing aspect of the set and hopefully it will be sold separately down the road. I put a lot of thought into how much I really would want this set, even before the price was announced. And frankly, I enjoy the original albums without them being surrounded by other session tracks from other albums. There is nothing better than the FTD classic album series. As long as the classic album series continues to be issued in such glorious sound and content as How Great Thou Art and Good Times were, what else more can a fan ask for? I have no issue passing on this release. I think it is cool package and a nice way to get most of his lifetime body of work in one place in great sound, but it isn't for me. Hope those who can obtain it enjoy it thoroughly.

14. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

I'd be all over these new masterings if they put them out as decade (or even half decade) themed box sets again!!! Put them out like the Hip-O Select did with the Chuck Berry sets - 'Johnny B. Goode: His Complete '50's Chess Recordings' and 'You Never Can Tell: His Complete Chess Recordings 1960-1966'.

15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

i dearly want this but they priced me out of this one.:cry:

i have the Franklin Mint set and the book "A Life In Music" which make a great duo. and i got these nice anti-static plastic sleeves for all my discs to protect them. and quite frankly, i'm a little worried about the way the discs are stored on the Sony set. i hope they don't scratch going in and out of that die cut paper housing the way the discs on the recent Roy Orbison did. but man, i wish i could swing that Sony set.

....now i'm just gonna drink some beer and watch that damn video on the complete Elvis site over and over and contemplate suicide!:D

:cheers:

16. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

price is prohibitive. I got Elvis 75 for 29 bucks at FYE last January and I'm really happy with this box set.

17. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

If the RCA $750 set comes down in price after the initial 1000, I may just order it and be done within my lifetime of purchasing any other Elvis music. There is nothing left I would ever need. But wait, if 24/96 versions are released, I'll fork it over one more time

18. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

what do you think they'll do to reduce the price?

eliminate the book and the outer box and just release this:
    [​IMG]

19. monkboughtlunch

Hard to say. They might instead opt to issue 3 reconfigured decade box sets, which lower the barrier to entry significantly and could generate more revenue over time due to greater volume sold.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to several posts on this forum and the Elvis Collectors Forum Ernst Jorgensen said they wouldn't re-do the "decade boxes".

21. TheGregWitul

TheGregWitul Member

This is accurate. My set was ordered after the error was acknowledged by Franklin Mint and the corrected disc was included in the set delivered to me. Amazing music, immaculate remastering, horrid and tacky looking packaging. Once I ripped all the discs to FLAC, everything was packed up and put into storage, where it will remain until it's sold to help pay for the new Sony Legacy set :)

22. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Amazing. The Beatles remasters box sets contained 29 discs (16 Stereo, 13 mono) plus a extra disc of mini documentaries (for a total of 30 discs), and even at list price for both they don't approach the price of the Elvis set. Hmmmm, must be pricing it by number of songs? Maybe the book makes up the difference? The slip case? :confused:

23. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

There are a hell of a lot more royalties to be paid due to the number of songs on the Elvis set, plus the packaging is supposed to be mega quazi deluxe crazy.

24. monkboughtlunch

Won't "republish" the old decade boxes or won't reconfigure and create "new" decade boxes?

25. monkboughtlunch

Given the inflated price, they should have made these hybrid SACDs. Sony has eschewed their own SACD format. The transfers for these new masters were DSD, so they could have done it had they wanted to.

Sony's profit margin on these must be pretty good, if not huge. They are the exclusive retailer. No middleman to reduce Sony's cut. Fixed, inflated msrp. They must be making at least 50% margin on these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.