The Cure announce Hyde Park gig for July 7 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Razzle123, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

I was at that gig too. Was a brilliant day.

Ive got tickets to this years gig too, so looking forward to it. Excited to see Slowdive once again. Ive never seen Ride despite them being one of my fav bands from the 90s. Ive seen editors a few times around their first couple of albums and they were always good although their last few albums have left me a bit Meh and ive wanted to see Interpol for quite a while too.

mogambotek likes this.
  2. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

If youre anywhere central it will be easy on the tube but if youre in Westminster and its a nice day its a pleasant enough walk to Hyde park too.

noahjld likes this.
  3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thank you! I'm listening to Paris and looking for Air B&Bs as I type. :)

4. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Some tubes run all night at weekends too The Night Tube

ad180 likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Shouldn’t be a problem to take the tube. Just head for the station after the show and you’ll be fine. The lines look intimidating, but everyone waits patiently and eventually everyone gets home.

I decided to take my wife to the Paul Simon/James Taylor/Bonnie Raitt show the following weekend.

ad180 likes this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Be sure to add some live Cure material to your prep rotation!

ad180 likes this.
  7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I got the hang of the Tube quickly, so we were getting around easily on our last visit.

That said, what are some good neighborhoods to stay? I'd love to dive into the local music clubs. That's assuming the London music scene is interesting these days.

8. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

A new album will do it for me

Carlox likes this.
  9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

jamesc, JeffMo and Mintsauce like this.
  10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

11. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I can see him doing a song or two with some bands, but I’d be very surprised if The Cure play!

12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

AlmanacZinger and jamesc like this.
  13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

From the same Guardian article: "Smith will close the event under the name Cureation 25 – which promises a lineup of previous bandmates and more"

14. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

The more I hear, the more it sounds like it’s pretty much a special Cure show or as close as they can get while retaining the exclusivity of the Hyde Park one. It was nice to see Lol back a few years ago, hopefully Boris might play. Sadly I’ll not be there...

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I didn’t see a thread about it, so posting here....

A concert movie of this show, directed by Tim Pope, is coming to theaters on July 11.

The Cure Official Site

NearysEpiphany, noahjld and jamesc like this.
  16. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

I'll take a 4k bluray, please.

17. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

stoked for the film tonight! anyone else going?

Mintsauce likes this.
  18. BawBag

BawBag Forum Resident

Yep. Then off to see them in Glasgow in a few weeks.

Mintsauce and JeffMo like this.
  19. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Thought about but decided to wait for the 4K Blu-ray, I was at Hyde park and it was right near the top of my 30+ gigs by them. Saw them at Rock Werchter a couple of weeks ago and heading to Glasgow too. Enjoy the show!

JeffMo likes this.
  20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t miss it... just over a year ago I sweating my ass off in Hyde Park!

It would be great to see the Slowdive and Goldfrapp sets too....

jamesc likes this.
  21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I really hope the opening acts were filmed as well. I'd love to see those performances, maybe in a super deluxe blu-ray set?

JeffMo likes this.
  22. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I went to see this last night and thought it was wonderful! Although I have loved the band for decades, I have never seen them live, so this was a real treat. I hope this is made available to purchase because I really want to see it again. I had no idea that Robert Smith is such a compelling performer.

robbroncs, Mintsauce and JeffMo like this.
  23. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

was fortunate to see them over a dozen times. but these were the best seats i've ever had :pineapple:

was hoping Tim Pope would have done more treatments after having this for a year. but overall, it was lovely. had me grinning ear to ear the whole time. Over the moon that Reeves is now in the band. such a great addition. part of me wishes Robert would allow backups every now and then. like maybe let Roger have a bit of fun. but why change after 40 years.

jamesc and Mintsauce like this.
  24. contium

contium Forum Resident

I bought tickets for the movie the second they went on sale. Really enjoyed it. The encore was great. Crowd at the theater was really into it.

robbroncs likes this.
  25. My wife and I saw the film last night too -- our first "in a theatre" concert experience (of any sort -- time delayed, or live).

Quite a wonderful experience!! I wish Reeve had been given more opportunities to really 'solo' -- but I do know that much of the Cure's catalog of songs aren't structured that way (though one could make the argument that they could be!!).

In any case, it was really quite a joy to see. I'd heard The Cure but once, back in Kansas City in 2010 or 2011 (I forget which), but Robert's voice was half-shot (laryngitis, or the beginnings of it). He sang as much as he could, and the band STILL played almost 30 tunes (iirc) -- but that was the ONLY time I've ever heard the band. My wife had never heard The Cure at all (she had already moved to DC by the time they played in KC, so I took another friend back then).

Robert really brings and brought a smile to my face. From his own little half-smile (which never breaks out into a full 100% smile), to all sorts of mannerisms and quirks. God bless Robert Smith, a true talent and real legend, far as I'm concerned. And a DAMN fine rhythm-guitar player too!! - OMG!! Whole band was tight as a drum. And what an expansive catalog of tunes. They could have easily played another 2 hours, all tunes I would have known equally as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.