"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. vintageaudio

vintageaudio Member

I believe that they have already solved the mystery and that their find will be be revealed this season and I also believe that it will be quite interesting!

xdawg likes this.
  2. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

I think the original was shown on a laptop screen while he was reading the translation - not that there isn’t any reason to still be sceptical though.

Lownote30 likes this.
  3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure they will be able to demonstrate that there was some kind of "vault", but no significant treasure or artifacts, which were likely removed several centuries ago. The bones that they found are certainly compelling enough evidence of human activity further back than was previously known.

So I don't expect any fabulous riches, but perhaps something significant from a historical and archaeological standpoint.

ssmith3046, xdawg and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  4. This seems plausible. Eurpoean activity in the area goes back to the early 16th century when European fishing boats would smoke and dry their hauls of cod on any convenient piece of land available.

Really? After being jerked around for two years or more you expect a payoff and not more of the same -why?

5. They're going to find Hitler's body, or a dog tooth, or something. This is maybe a good show for the retirement home as a break from Family Feud. It hurts my liver.

6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

If they had found a treasure, we would have heard on the news. Also, the promos for the show would build so they could maximize viewership.

Rhett likes this.
  7. vintageaudio

vintageaudio Member

The Laginas have sunk millions of dollars into this search not counting the money they spent over 10 years ago to buy most of the property on the island in preparation for this venture. I think the reason for dragging this out was to get sponsors and try to recoup some of their money if nothing is found. I like the program for the history and although I would be a bit disappointed if nothing significant was found, I still will have learned lots of interesting history! :tiphat:

8. vintageaudio

vintageaudio Member

Keep watching! As the saying goes....."It ain't over till the fat lady sings!". :)

xdawg likes this.
  9. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Okay, this is getting better for me. I like the British metal detecting expert, I cant remember his name. When he finds something he's all "whooo whooo whooo....Holy Schmolly" He found an old lead crucifix on the beach that looks like something from the Medieval era, course it'll have to be tested, but he was really excited by it. The drill rig (or cans) are sitting atop what they think is the vault, poised to penetrate. The preview for next week shows them finding more bones, then what???

10. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

Im sure they have all signed non-disclosure forms - just in case something really interested did turn up ....this is a private dig..so....they can do what they want...that being said...I don't think anything mind-blowing is going to turn up ...just more slightly-to-moderately interesting sorts of bits and bobs....but who knows....Im surprised at what they have found so deep -but - given all the giant holes blown in the island..in the past..all sorts of weird crap that would have been on the surface....end up really deep....

11. xdawg

Yes, episodes like last night's are what I signed on for.

painted8 and sixtiesstereo like this.
  12. Finding the cross was exciting, though it seemed awfully convenient they found it so soon after visiting France.

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  13. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Good episode last night. I still worry that even if they've found the Money Pit, that whatever it was built for is no longer there. Yeah, the show isn't perfect (if the incredulous narration was removed, the show would be 75% better), but I think the Laginas are sincere and I'd love to see this mystery solved.

ssmith3046 and Borgia like this.
  14. Borgia

Maybe its just me, but as Oak Island gets better, Hunting Hitler gets worse...

ssmith3046 and xdawg like this.
  15. xdawg

I fell asleep during a commercial for HH right before the guy repelled down the cliff.

Borgia likes this.
  16. xdawg

FWIW, this is a cut and paste from the COOI Reddit discussion page concerning the use of the high-powered hose on the H8 spoils:

begleyjack 4 points an hour ago

I objected to the fire hose system pretty hard at first, but the clay was extremely hard to get through. I was the last person to inspect the spoils...well everyone would rush over to the table once I finished cleaning to help look. Doug documented everything we found meticulously, Dave brought spoils over from the caisson, & Charles moved them around like a pro from there. Gary was picking out every bit of metal before the spoils made it to me, so I wasn’t looking for any metal. My job was to clean the spoils quickly, we were searching for large samples. Things like big bones, or man made objects below searcher depth. We figured the caisson would be the first indication, then Gary with his detector, I was just the last line of defense to make sure we didn’t miss anything. The clay is thick, & the shaker table we had earlier in the year wouldn’t have been able to do the job. We couldn’t drop a big load onto it either. I had felt that the shaker table didn’t do a good job earlier & took it on myself to start washing the MP Grid samples with Dan H. We were all shocked to find the parchment, etc. We all decided that we needed to wash the caisson samples this year, & David is the one who built the “custom” table for us. We checked into getting a mining shaker instead, but there weren’t any available soon enough. It was our best option. I pushed to be the person washing samples, and no one seemed to object...

I ran the pump on low to start, but I was getting too far behind everyone and slowing down the process. Also I couldn’t cut through the clay on a low pressure. I formed a method & placed anything I thought looked important in the corner and out of the blast. We figured if/when we hit something, then it would be quickly obvious. So I turned the pump up to full throttle! It’s kinda a shame they didn’t get a shot of me hitting something hard like a big rock, or even the clay, & getting blasted right back! They only really showed the aftermath, but I was still laughing pretty hard at myself! Shame of it is, I actually try my best to stay clean everyday. Oh and; yes I have a closet full of the same UA shirts and my normal shirts

We weren’t looking for bits of parchment or porcelain, those were clues that lead us to the H8 area. The whole point is to prove there is a treasure down in the MP worth our time and money. We could waste tons of both picking through every little bit of soil. You can bet that if even a sliver of gold is found at depth, we would have a very meticulous method of searching the spoils. We have the attention of the CND governments Cultural departments, & we work with them openly. They want us to find definitive evidence too, but they agree the MP is pretty much destroyed. All of the past searchers did quite a job to the area, & archaeologists don’t see the MP spoils of high interest from what I understand. Everything is out of its original place, just like in Smith’s Cove.

We tried to weight all of our options as a team, but I’d be open to hearing suggestions to making the method better. I came up with many of my own while washing; like making the lips of the table much higher, so material doesn’t fall off. There is a good chance we will need to wash through more spoils in the future, & I enjoy constructive criticism.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hey, if they ever find something, could you guys start a new thread? I keep coming back here and nothing. Kinda like the whole project.

18. xdawg

I clicked on "Show Ignored Content". Once I read your post, I realized why I had you blocked. Back to blocked :whistle:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  19. Borgia

Okay, scratch that. After last night's episode Oak Island isn't getting any better, neither is HH...

ssmith3046, xdawg and Alfie Noakes like this.
  20. xdawg

Last night was a huge downer. I'll keep watching though. The CoOI Reddit page makes it worth the while.

painted8 likes this.
  21. xdawg

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

23. xdawg

24. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I hear they find a coin with the impression of Julius Caesar's butthole this season. But it's stamped with the year 1967. So... they might have to look into whether or not it's a fake. Could take a 3 or 4 episode stretch to solve it.

Pete Puma and Borgia like this.
  25. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Will Geraldo Rivera be there when they make the big breakthrough on Oak Island?