The Day the Earth Stood Still

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joe D., Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone pick this up yet!

I had forgot all about it!

Doh!

Amazon

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I picked it up, but I had to visit four stores to find it. Best Buy didn't have it, Circuit City did not even have it on their new release list, Borders sold their one copy and the clerk mentioned that I was the 12th person asking about it since then. Media Play came through. I only had time to watch the first 20 minutes or so, but it looks very good. The supplements are mostly carried over from the laserdisc SE, but they were good supplements and they are welcome in any format. :)

If you can wait for Best Buy to stock it, they will be pricing it at only $15. Media Play was only a dollar more, though.

Regards,

3. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Try Deep Discount DVD- $14.64 (includes free shipping).

The extra material is mostly the same stuff that was included with the laserdisc. However, the movie itself is an improved transfer- it looks great (even better than the laserdisc).

AJH

4. Ken_McAlinden

Re: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still

In fact, perhaps the only new feature of note is a restoration demonstration that illustrates how they improved on a pretty good laserdisc transfer. It also has the THX moo-cow trailer done by Pixar which isn't exactly a feature, but I'm always amused by it. :)

Regards,

5. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Ken, do you know if they did any restoration of the sound, as that was were I felt the problem was with the LD?

6. Ken_McAlinden

I only sampled a bit last evening (I did not even watch the entire restoration demonstration) and no longer have that LD for reference. I will watch and listen more closely this evening. In general it sounded fairly dynamic with not a lot of high end. I believe there are French and Spanish language tracks as well.

Regards,

7. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I did manage to watch the entire movie, and I felt that it has a good solid soundtrack (although I don't remember what the laserdisc sounded like). If I remember correctly, the DVD case indicates a DD Stereo soundtrack, but it sounded like good old mono to me. I'll try to dig-out the laserdisc and see how the soundtrack compares to the DVD.

AJH

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Careful there, gents.

This is the Gort's "Home Planet " so to speak!

Repeat after me: "It's a wonderful movie, wish I were a Gort, too.... it's a wonderful movie, wish I were a Gort, too..... it's a wonderful movie...."

:cool:

9. Ken_McAlinden

It was much better than Cats. I'm going to see it again and again...
    It was much better than Cats. I'm going to see it again and again...
    Klaatu Barada Nikto! ;)

Regards,

10. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I listened to the LD sound and the DVD sound (several sections of the film) and I didn't notice any appreciable difference. The dialogue seems a bit clearer on the DVD. I guess almost all of the DVD restoration went into the video- which is far superior to the LD.

AJH

11. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Thanks, AHJ! And welcome to the Steve Hoffman forums! Enjoy your stay!

12. syogusr

syogusr New Member

I picked this up at Border's on Tuesday for $12.99, but one thing that struck me as odd is there was absolutely no mention of this as being a newly restored/newly mastered disc whatsoever. You would think that they would do this to stir interest in the browsing consumer:confused:

13. Ken_McAlinden

Well, they do list "restoration demonstration" as a feature, but when you have a spokesmodel like Gort on the cover, who needs a "restored and remastered" sticker.

BTW, the audio is a little better than I remember the laser. There was a harshness/distortion, especially in dialog that seems to be greatly lessened. There seems to be some evidence of NR and possibly some positive and negative noise gate whooshing, but it's not too bad. I got caught up in the film and stopped paying attention to that in a few minutes. I listened primarily to the mono track. There is a 2-channel (non surround encoded) stereo track as well. It sounded slightly odd to me, so I stuck with the original mono.

Regards,

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The key audience for the TDTESS DVD is US...US who patiently await with anticipation of the upcoming release dates...TDTESS has never been released on DVD, wait a few years they'll put out the remastered/super version.LOL!
    How many of todays teenagers even know the flick exists or even care to view a Black and White film? Are
    you counting??? I ran out after my left hand index finger...

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Watch much Saturday Night Live back in the day??;)

16. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

I have the VHS version of this movie and it definitely has a stereo soundtrack--there are several scenes where the sound effects clearly follow the on-screen visuals.

[T]

17. AJH

AJH Senior Member

When I originally viewed the DVD it was on a large screen TV with built-in speakers. When I watched it on a TV with a surround audio system you can hear that it is indeed in stereo. The menu system allows you to choose a mono version of the soundtrack, and that, to me sounds better. Interesting that the VHS had a stereo soundtrack and the LD was only in mono. The mono LD and DVD tracks are almost identical, but I wonder if the DVD stereo track is better than the VHS?

AJH

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Costco has it for $9.99. I couldn't pass the movie up at that price :)

It had always been one of the more intelligent sci-fi movies I have ever seen. Great story and message. Especially these days!

JohnG

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I hear that!

20. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have just watched the first side of this movie on LD and it is a great movie. With my Hybrid-8 connected, it enhances a great transfer even more.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A Hybrid-8 Laptop? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.