The Dick Van Dyke Show - colorized on CBS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I think one problem may be that The Honeymooners doesn't lend itself to the heavy editing that these other old shows have had done for their CBS broadcast...viewers have always balked when anything is cut from the Honeymooners eps, and it's shown complete pretty much everywhere it now airs (though usually with time compression).

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I think your right, along with some other aspects of the series that I will not discuss (if you know what I mean) .....

dirwuf and bmasters9 like this.
  3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The second season of the Lucy Show was filmed in color but broadcast in B&W so that's a good example as well of what it would've looked like.

Benno123 likes this.
  4. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I believe the “Lucy Goes Duck Hunting” was the first filmed in color though not the first aired in season two.

Rose Marie always said that she thought The DVD Show could have gone on 2 or 3 more years in color. I always feel like 5 seasons just started doesn’t seem enough BUT if Carl Reiner wanted to leave them wanting more and 50 years later I want more he did his job!! (In one of the books about the series switching to color was discussed and it said they decided not to because it added $3 or $5k more per episode, or some figure like that, and they passed.)

I think I have asked this before but was the Dick Van Dyke Show the last sitcom that aired in black and white on CBS? I don’t mean one that started off and switched like The Beverly Hillbillies or Andy Griffith. During the 1965-1966 season I thought all sitcoms starting airing in color on CBS but DVD.

5. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

1965-66 was a transitional year, where a lot of programs were in color, but some were not.

CBS sitcoms? No, it was not the only one:

Color - My Favorite Martian, Lucy Show, Hazel, Andy Griffith Show, Petticoat Junction, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Gilligan's Island, My Three Sons, Hogan's Heroes, Gomer Pyle

B&W - Dick Van Dyke Show, Munsters, The Smothers Brothers Show (the fantasy sitcom where Tom is an angel).

Interesting that all three B&Ws were off of the schedule the next year. Along with Hazel and My Favorite Martian.

Replacements - It's About Time, Run Buddy Run/Mr. Terrific (Run Buddy Run was cancelled and replaced by Terrific), Family Affair, The Jean Arthur Show, Pistols 'n' Petticoats. Well, they got one right!

If you're wondering what replaced DVD, it was Gomer Pyle. Gomer Pyle moved from Friday, where it followed Hogan's Heroes, to Wednesday. Green Acres was the lead-in. The move worked, as Gomer Pyle got better ratings than DVD. Friday night, CBS replaced Gomer and The Smothers Brothers, and a drama with a Friday Night movie, which also made the Top 10.

CBS did not do very well at developing new sitcoms during the late '60s. They had Doris Day, which changed its format every year. That's about it until MTM and the 1970s classics started up.

Benno123 likes this.
  6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

And CBS' condensed all-in-one of that 1960-68 CBS comedy divides the discs evenly between B/W in color: the first 5 B/W seasons (1960-65) in the first case, and the remaining ones (1965-68, color) in the other.

Benno123 likes this.
  7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Well crap.... Apparently an NFL game ran over by 40 minutes and my DVR cut off about halfway thru the "blonde" episode. Are there any plans for CBS to show this again? I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get to see it. That's what DVRs are for but in this case it cut off before it was over.

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

It's available on CBS All Access.

9. HGN2001

Two newly colorized episodes tonight at 9 eastern on CBS.

10. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I said this last year and I'll say it again, they did a Holiday episode in 1963 but it seems Carl Reiner would rather see himself in color than colorize that episode.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. HGN2001

Carl Reiner was IN the Christmas episode.

12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Yep, he hates it...it was only done at the network's demand.

13. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Sorry, I forgot he was in that one.

14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Dang! Missed it again this year! Maybe next year. Normally would DVR the shows but no cable yet because of the hurricane. Last year the NFL game ran over so the DVR cut off before the show ended.

bmasters9 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I thought they did a better job colorizing the first episode than the latter one (last night). On the latter, every time Dick Van Dyke opened his mouth, it looked like he had that blue/black on his lips and mouth.

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The colorization on Lucy seemed more vibrant than on Van Dyke. The weird thing was, the short tag between Van Dyke eps looked better than the actual shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.