“The Dirt” (Motley Crue movie bio based on Nikki Sixx’s book)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kossoff is God, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Looks awful based on this trailer.

3. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

"Bohemian Rhapsody, Just ****tier This Time"

oh and featuring Pete Davidson for some weird reason.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Absolutely agree.

Not everything needs to be made into a movie; this especially.

5. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Does he play Tommy Lee? I believe they have at least one thing in common...

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

If Matthew Trippe is one of the characters, I'm in. :p

7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The problem is that none of these characters is sympathetic and odds are it’ll follow a simplistic rise/fall biopic formula that we’ve seen a thousand times before.

danielbravo, dlokazip and Osato like this.
  8. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

And the rise isn't even that high.

9. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Depends what kind of rise you're talking about ;)...

Seriously though; the book itself is absolutely a hoot to read - with a sprinkling of some genuine tragedy - and it's still nothing short of a wonder to me that all four of those guys actually survived that period to tell their story, but it'll be interesting to see just how much of the really crazy insanity that actually took place (and believe me, there's more than enough of it to go around if the book is to be believed!) make it into the film... but I'll definitely give it a watch, it will be entertaining if nothing else!!!

Jaap74 and GodShifter like this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

In a world where Ryan Adams is losing his career over one-tenth of the stupid behavior we’re likely to see in this movie, I wonder if this is the right time for this movie. Strip clubs, hard drugs, and DUIs were never cool, and they seem even less cool now.

11. Without strip clubs and drugs I'm not even sure we'd have rock and roll lol

12. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

It's sorta interesting how there are rules for some musicians and not others - highly dependent on genre, of course.

13. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Going to strip clubs, doing drugs and snorting urine is the same as sexual harassment?

14. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

ANTS, NOT URINE!! :)

SRC, blind_melon1 and GodShifter like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I really enjoyed the book as it came from all four members’ perspectives. They definitely lived on the edge, but I just don’t see this movie being good.

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I didn’t mean to make light of what Adams is accused of, but killing your buddy while driving drunk is also pretty horrific. A movie about the bad boys of 80s metal behaving badly isn’t high on my list of movies to check out.

VU Master and BeatleJWOL like this.
  17. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Just to clarify a mistake in the title, The Dirt book was not authored by Nikki Sixx alone. The band used a writer named Neil Struass and all four of the members contributed their side of the story. It's credited to the entire band.

18. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I think the first point is relevant. In the book Nikki himself equates an encounter between himself, Tommy, a young kid and a women to rape. Tommy talks about dragging his girlfriend out of a limo and punching her teeth out. And Tommy did jail time for spousal abuse. Nikki is on tape screaming the 'N' word at someone. Vince is on tape dragging a women down by her hair.

This is not the era when you want to be putting a spotlight on that stuff. Better to keep your head down and hope your name doesn't get called. Then again, Motley Crue probably isn't relevant enough for any of this to make a difference.

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Mick Mars is to an extent.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

More than likely this movie will be a somewhat sanitized version of what they were really like in the 80's otherwise they would have to slap a hard "R" or "X" rating on it.

Rhett, dlokazip and GodShifter like this.
  21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

This is on Netflix...not MPAA rated movies. No such thing as a 'hard R' or X.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As I tried to say in my first post, I agree. Even if the movie is sanitized into a “fun” look at the debauchery that is recounted in the book, this strikes me as a time when a band like the Crue ought to lay low and not remind people of some of the idiotic things they did in the 80s. On the other hand, maybe the Netflix check and exposure are worth the risk to a band whom, as you note, hasn’t really been relevant since Nirvana and Pearl Jam stoke their thunder.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  23. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I blame it on dancing and race records.

Maybe some ought to purge their music collections, lest they be accused of supporting such behavior.

If we're going to limit making music films to those that didnt drink, take drugs, behaved violently, or womanize,
    there aint gonna be many films or documentaries made about music, or much of anything that has to do with the arts.

dunkoid, Troyh, Murph and 1 other person like this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That’s a fair point, but even by the admittedly low standards of rock star behavior, these guys were idiots, and a dumb Netflix biopic glamorizing their stupidity isn’t something the world needs in 2019, although I guess Netflix obviously sees that differently than I do.

Jimmy Disco D and Kevin j like this.
  25. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Wasn't this going to be a big budget theatrical movie? I remember hearing about shortly after the book came out. This looks like a bad movie made for TBS or something.

Matthew Tate and Spencer R like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.