The Doors 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pats Radio, Jan 20, 2022.

1. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

Did anyone expect he was gonna say "We will release it, but it's ****?" :)

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Something tells me the sound quality of Paris Blues is going be less than optimal since this is coming from a cassette copy. It will be interesting to hear how they managed to piece it together into something coherent….assuming they were able to do so.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

We're they even performing those songs We're they still touring in 1971 ?

4. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

The Cinemateque session is quite interesting ... Jim and his poetry with some Jim+Robby songs ... Always rumored to be an audience tape ... but now it seems that Frank L taped it ... which would mean a better quality ? Of course, depends on the tape recorder he used

marklamb, D-rock and Soundslave like this.
  5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Ok, but what were the reasons for the label not to release it?

6. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

Robby also said the following on page 348 of Set the Night On Fire -

"One of the Blues Day outtakes was a song called "Paris Blues," and it became a source of intrigue for hard-core Doors fans for years.

It wasn't good enough to make the album and we didn't put it out later because the master tapes and my personal cassette dub were lost. The only copy that survived was Ray's cassette dub, but one day he left it inside a tape recorder and his then-infant son, Pablo, started playing with the buttons. At several points on the tape the music abruptly cuts out and all you can hear is Pablo making gurgling noises.

Even without Pablo's remixing, though, it's just not that great of a tune. There's a reason it was considered an outtake, and there's a reason we were never too concerned about the masters going missing. Pablo was probably trying to do us all a favor."

DTK, D-rock, hidlive and 4 others like this.
  7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’m not a Doors expert and there seems to be a few here. I’m hoping this show was recorded as several other artist were recorded here.

The Doors Setlist at The Warehouse, New Orleans

8. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

J_D__, Adam Bosman and RAZORMADE like this.
  9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Are you going to share the details? Lol

khanrahan likes this.
  10. murch

murch Forum Resident

The Doors don't want to pay for the tape, and/or the seller is asking too much. Unfortunately it's likely it will stay in private hands.

marklamb, J_D__, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  11. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

D-rock and J_D__ like this.
  12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

D-rock, a customer and khanrahan like this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

A stunning development, The Doors are releasing RSD product.

14. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

i told you guys first! haha!

Shawn, RAZORMADE, Soundslave and 6 others like this.
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Will it say "Screaming Ray Daniels" on the back cover? Except for his singing this release has a lot going for it.

Last known song in the Doors vault is interesting. Old Stone Road, 2 Matrix instrumentals are live only songs. Does studio Who Do You Love or Smokey Bear EXist? There's also maybe 5-6 Doors studio songs that have never been on vinyl.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. murch

murch Forum Resident

Who do you love exists as a studio version but the doors don't have the tape. It's on YouTube but very hard to hear (someone recorded the tape being played at a private party)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

A clean snippet was uploaded on the very old Doors message board in the early 2000s. The Doors can get their hands on a relatively clean copy, if they want to (and perhaps they already have).

Shawn, murch, marklamb and 3 others like this.
  18. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

John D., Soundslave, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’m surprised it hasn’t shown up elsewhere.

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

What email was this included in? What were all the details and were there product pics?

marklamb likes this.
  21. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Mythic Studio Recording Of “Paris Blues,” The Last Known Unreleased Song From The Doors’ Vault, Makes Its Long-Awaited Debut On New Blues-Themed Collection

Available As A Limited Edition On Translucent Blue Vinyl Exclusively For Record Store Day’s Black Friday Event On November 25th

[​IMG]
    “The blues is about the only original art form that America has created in 200 years . . . there are only two indigenous musical forms native to the United States, and one is the blues.” —Jim Morrison, introducing “Little Red Rooster,” Vancouver, June 6, 1970

The Doors are releasing the fabled studio outtake “Paris Blues” as the title track to a new blues-themed compilation coming out on vinyl for Record Store Day’s Black Friday event on November 25. The song – which is the last known unissued studio recording by The Doors – has been talked about by fans and band members for years. The long wait is finally over.

PARIS BLUES will be available as a limited edition of 10,000 numbered copies on translucent blue vinyl at select independent music stores on November 25th. The LP’s cover art is an original painting by guitarist Robby Krieger and the set also includes liner notes by blues scholar Mary Katherine Aldin.

“Paris Blues” traveled a long and winding path to its release, taking on a mythic quality among Doors’ fans along the way. An original blues song written by the band; the track was recorded during one of the band’s recording sessions for either The Soft Parade or L.A. Woman (no one seems to remember). The master tape of the song was lost and the only surviving copy was given to Doors’ keyboardist Ray Manzarek. Sadly, this copy was partially damaged by his son Pablo (a toddler at the time), who recorded over a few short parts. Now, through some creative editing, the song has been rescued from obscurity for the new album.

The band’s deep love for the blues shines throughout PARIS BLUES. Other highlights include two previously unreleased live recordings of singer Jim Morrison and Krieger performing as a duo at a benefit for Norman Mailer’s mayoral campaign on May 31, 1969 in West Hollywood. The first song is “I Will Never Be Untrue,” a band original written for, but left off of, 1970’s Morrison Hotel. The other is a cover of Robert Johnson’s “Me And The Devil Blues.” Both songs were recorded by Frank Lisciandro, a film maker who befriended Manzarek and Morrison when all three attended the film program at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

PARIS BLUES also contains a pair of outtakes recorded during the band’s sessions for 1969’s The Soft Parade – “(You Need Meat) Don’t Go No Further” and “I’m Your Doctor.” Both feature Manzarek on vocals backed by Krieger and drummer John Densmore. In 2019, bass by Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots was added to the songs, which were included on Rhino’s 50th anniversary edition of the album.

The flipside of PARIS BLUES collects three songs from Live in Vancouver 1970, a concert album released in 2010 by the Doors’ Bright Midnight Archive label. Recorded during the band’s 1970 tour, these live tracks spotlight legendary bluesman Albert King, who joined the band onstage during its June 6, 1970 show at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver. Morrison’s introduction of King is included along with live versions of “Little Red Rooster,” “Rock Me Baby,” and “Who Do You Love?”

LP Track Listing

Side A
    “Paris Blues” *
    “I Will Never Be Untrue” *
    “Me And The Devil Blues” *
    “(You Need Meat) Don’t Go No Further”
    “I’m Your Doctor”

Side B
    Jim’s Introduction
    “Little Red Rooster” – with Albert King
    “Rock Me Baby” – with Albert King
    “Who Do You Love?” with Albert King

* previously unreleased

22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Sucks it's limited and vinyl only.
    WTH man!

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I like the cover slightly more than I like when Ray is singing.

24. khanrahan

khanrahan Forum Resident

I actually quite like that cover! It doesn’t exactly scream “Doors” but it’s nice as a change. It reminds me of the drawings from Morrisons notebooks. The kind of things used in the artwork for an American Prayer.

jeremylr, marklamb and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

Maybe someone knows the answer to this ... So Paris Blues was recorded before Jim actually went to Paris ... Where does the title come from? Was it given to a title-less song after Jim passed away? Was it immediately titled this was? Any info is welcome

jeremylr and Matthew Tate like this.