The Doors - L.A. Woman 50th Anniversary - what do we expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sons of nothing, Aug 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbacksrule76

Dbacksrule76 Forum Resident

I stand corrected, I always believed it was earlier because it was on a box set on a cd listed as early demos. 1969 sounds plausible.

joshm2286, Benny S and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

There WAS an alternate mix/version of Cars Hiss on the L.A. Woman super audio cd with an extra verse included..also had some extra Morrison grunts/groans from what I remember...haven't listened to it in a while.

3. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

i'll be happy with Paris Blues in a 7 inch record

4. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

88 "tracks" in total, 9 of them were released as 'The Workshop Sessions' (though some of them may be frankensteined from different takes), 5 as digital bonus tracks, now available on the 'Behind Closed Doors' digital-only compilation and 2 studio banter tracks as part of the 'LA Woman Singles' box, so at least 72 "tracks" remain unreleased. I'd be surprised if we'd get more than half of them.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Who knows if half of the remaining outtakes are issued, but I think realistically two CDs of outtake material could be released as part of the LA Woman box set because The Soft Parade contained two discs.

andrewskyDE, joshm2286, Sean and 3 others like this.
  6. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

They might also cancel the LA Woman box because I doubt the Morrison Hotel box will sell well :D
    But if there's one, 2 CDs sound realistic.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. So in order to get just three discs of outtakes you have to buy 2 different CD sets of L. A. Woman with the remastered album and an LP of it!

joshm2286, Sis+erRay and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Kat Records

that is called: "a la Matrix"

Buddybud, murch, sekaer and 3 others like this.
  9. doorjam13

doorjam13 Well-Known Member

hopefully we get :

1) Paris blues
    2) Palace in the canyon
    3) Someday soon
    4) more blues songs.

D-rock, Buddybud, avp2029 and 2 others like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Paris Blues will probably surface; the band has had it in its possession for well over a decade. It won't be surprising if its release is anticlimactic.

Not sure if a studio recording of Palace In The Canyon exists. Anyone know?

Someday Soon wasn't part of the LA Woman sessions, so I would be surprised if it was released as part of an LA Woman box set.

It doesn't appear additional blues songs were captured during the sessions.

D-rock, avp2029 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. You're correct on all four points.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just because something wasn't part of the sessions though doesn't mean it won't show up ;)

Boswell, Sean, SteveM and 1 other person like this.
  13. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

They could help us by punching out an extra slot in the box to store the older bonus disk

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Ala the new Lou Reed New York release? I am presuming the majority of people interested in this release are "of a certain age". many of us would enjoy the outtakes and anything live that might be included. Why force us no-vinyls to buy these? Probably have to settle for Steve's master :p

15. Kat Records

Lou's NY includes 2 cds of extra material and also a DVD with 2 LP for just 10 dollars more than Morrison hotel box. i can bet if the boxs were a fair price or with lot of material people wouldn't care if the vinyl is included

rnranimal likes this.
  16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Seems like a stand alone CD set would sell more than the current box. Same with LA Woman.

17. Lou's box contains two fairly low quality CDs in my opinion and a double LP repeating the same "bonus" content. It's a lot of useless padding for an album which doesn't need any.

As much as I'm a fan of "New York" the deluxe box is another easy pass for me. One CD is just rough mixes and alternate mixes, the other is a live recording of the album.

As someone who saw Lou live at the time I know the live concert sounded just like the record without any improvisation or major changes to the songs or song order. As the deluxe contains a live DVD of the concert film it makes the CD rather superfluous anyway. As much as it could have interested me, I just can't get excited about a DVD that I'd probably only watch once these days.

Kat Records likes this.
  18. Just get the Analogue Productions SACD.

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Are we talking about LA Woman? Because the DCC is just fine.

joshm2286 and David del Toro like this.
  20. Yes, L. A. Woman, but from what you said in your first post it didn't sound as though you already had it? The DCC is also long out of print and stupendously pricey. I'm not sure of the AP status but it will almost certainly be a fraction of the cost of the DCC even if now out of print.

joshm2286 likes this.
  21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

In re-reading my OP, I agree was confusing. I have had the DCC for many years. I think it sounds great. Its the extras in the 50th that are interesting. But unattainable if one has to buy the whole box. Same w my comparison of Lou Reed. The '89 Sire CD is just fine to me. It's the live stuff I would like to have.

22. I have the CD and the LP from 1989 already so I'm done. Somewhat curiously the LP sounds much better than the CD.

Back to The Doors.....

joshm2286 likes this.
  23. Dbacksrule76

Dbacksrule76 Forum Resident

I have a ‘71 Pittman press as well as the AP 45 LAW, really want the DCC but damn $400? I have the S/T DCC and like it but I’m sure LAW is a whole different animal in comparison.

joshm2286 likes this.
  24. Kat Records

you have a point there, but still is interesting. i'll pass on that one. but i would like to see a vinyl only reissue of it

SteveM likes this.
  25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Off topic here but while in the USAF in 1971 and 1972 and serving in South Korea we use to buy LPs from a small shop in the village of Yon Bo Ri (pretty sure that's a misspelling after all these years). Anyways obvious boots. If you know anything about printing you know that they use four colors to create over 16 million colors, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. Take a close look with a magnifying glass to a newspaper color photo (they are the easiest to see this) and you will see little dots of these four colors. Anyways I bought a few albums, classic albums, from this shop and the covers were printed with only one of the four colors so the L.A. Woman I bought was all Magenta and the Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere by Neil Young was all Cyan. Who can say why this little innocuous thoughts pop up but there it is.

P.S. I tried to do a Google Image search to see if I could find an example but was unable to find one.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.