The Doors - L.A. Woman 50th Anniversary - what do we expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sons of nothing, Aug 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Plangent started with WftS and continued for TSP and MH, yes. I followed that because as a fan of the band and audio I always tried to nail down what was different in the process of remastering. In my opinion, WftS truly benefited from Plangent. It's not that significant overall, but I was impressed. Didn't do comparisons for The Soft Parade though, so can't say on that.

As far as I can recall, that video was first officially released in 2006 on Perception boxset DVD and stayed an exclusive on it. As Setleab mentioned - later reissued on R-evolution.

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'm afraid without knowing in full what was done or not done to WFTS for the 50th remaster, it's impossible to assign changes or improvements to one particular factor.

rockclassics likes this.
  3. Soundslave

That's my personal opinion based on my own comparison between 1988 remaster, 1999 remaster and HDtracks version. I felt it was enought to know what Bruce did during the remastering process since on every instance of 50th ann. reissue of The Doors there was always an interview with him on the matter.

joshm2286 and rockclassics like this.
  4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I have no problem with your opinion as to what's better and worse or what your preferences may be. What I'm saying is that we can't make Plangent alone responsible for WTFS 50th sounding the way it does. Comparing the 50th to previous remasters won't offer any clarity in the Plangent issue either since we don't know the treatment or tape used in each case. If we had the same file in two versions, the sole difference between them being Plangent, then we'd know what difference it makes.

rockclassics and Soundslave like this.
  5. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I believe all of the LAW outtakes are on "Behind Closed Doors-The Rarities". I'm confused. Were there TWO different LAW 40th Anniversary releases? Here's what's on "The Rarities" what's the source for all those extra LAW outtakes?? Were those last 5 tracks itune exlcusives originally??

The Changeling - Alt Take
    Love Her Madly - Alt take
    Cars Hiss By My Window - Alt take
    L. A. Woman - Alt Version
    The WASP/Texas Radio - Alt Take
    Been Down So Long - Alt Take
    Riders On The Storm - Alt Take
    She Smells So Nice
    Rock Me
    L. A. Woman - Take 1
    Crawling King Snake - Run Through and Studio Chatter
    Love Her Madly - Take 1
    The Changeling - Take 9
    The WASP/Texas Radio - Instrumental

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Soundslave

If you're asking about post #11 in this thread, than as it was written above the list in post #11 - those are the tracks that meant to be on the upcoming at the time (and unreleased) LA Woman Boxset. It was announced at the time on The Doors forums, if I recall right, and was canceled. But the track names were still published, so that's what fans are keeping to list in order to keep the memory of it.
    As for 40th Anniversary reissue on 2CDs - only tracks 1-9 from your tracklist of Behind Closed Doors are included on the 2nd CD aka Workshop Sessions. I've edited your quote for other tracks in my post.

joshm2286, Shawn, avp2029 and 2 others like this.
  7. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Thank you! You've given me the exact info I wanted. My interest is in collecting everything that is out there or at least hearing it.
    Would you know, is there a list of what the Doors released ONLY in digital exclusive versions? Are they all gathered on the digital only "The Rarities" from 2013 or are there any others? Cheers

avp2029 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Soundslave

No, I've never seen such list. But I know that a couple of albums (when Perception box got released in 2006, which contained 1999 remasters and 40th anniversary remixes) had more bonus tracks on iTunes. Don't recall any L.A. Woman stuff on it though besides the one you and me listed.

Boswell likes this.
  9. murch

murch Forum Resident

For Morrison Hotel - "Blues for Lonnie" and "Queen of the Highway Instrumental" were bonus digital tracks that aren't available on physical media or in the rarities set, which is frustrating.

Boswell, RAZORMADE, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  10. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Does anybody noticed that the MH50th thread was closed? please don't reply to that person anymore. everytime is the same.

well, have you seen the Doors facebook yesterdar? they recall that exists some Other Voices takes from L.A.Woman sessions. will we get a 50th OV box? OV takes on L.A.Woman 50th? or just nothing as usual?

11. murch

murch Forum Resident

Exactly. Don't feed the trolls.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

No, I did not see the Facebook post. What exactly did it say about Other Voices outtakes from the LA Woman sessions? It has been established that the band attempted to record a couple of Other Voices tracks during LA Woman, or at least rehearsed some of the material (Jim allegedly declined to sing Down On The Farm). It has also been established that most of Other Voices was recorded prior to Jim's death, and that at some point during the spring of 1971, the band chose Michael Stull to replace Jim (whether he recorded any vocals on the Other Voices recordings is unclear). Another interesting aspect to all of this is that Jerry Scheff is on Down On The Farm, I'm Horny, I'm Stoned and Wandering Musician, suggesting that perhaps those songs were tracked during the LA Woman sessions. It seems odd that such an admission was made by The Doors considering the band has tried to largely distance itself from the post-Morrison period, or at least not blur the lines.

13. murch

murch Forum Resident

Just the same rumour about "down on the farm".

Kat Records and avp2029 like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

Why would the band post a rumor?

avp2029 and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Here’s the quote from FB:

On this day in #DoorsHistory in 1971, OTHER VOICES was released. Co-produced by The Doors’ longtime producer Bruce Botnick, the album featured vocals by Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek.

The first song on side 2, “Down On The Farm,” was a song allegedly written during the L.A. WOMAN recording sessions, but did not make the final cut for the album.

Revisit the song and the rest of the album here: The Doors

16. PacificOceanBlue

Thanks for posting the FB post. Again, The Doors do not know their own session history? Records should show what was recorded and when; at the very least there should be record of when Jerry Scheff recorded with the band which would add some clarity.

17. murch

murch Forum Resident

Unless
    Unless they are purposefully being murky. The doors position is that Morrison was on a sabbatical, so if it seems like they had already moved on before he died, that contradicts what they had been claiming for years.

18. PacificOceanBlue

No question about it. During the 1980's and 1990's, there was a lot of emphasis by the band's representatives (and the band itself) to rewrite history. I am not convinced current management focuses much on the details of the 1971 period, rather it continues to promote the established narrative. Fortunately for those who care to acknowledge historical accuracy, the evidence that tells the real story exists and has been preserved. The historical record clearly recognizes that Morrison left the band and LA during the spring of 1971 with no time table for a return to the band, the band continued to rehearse and write, the band auditioned replacement vocalists, the band committed to Michael Stull as the new vocalist (who was also managed by Siddons at the time), the band started recording OV and allegedly had most of it completed before July (it is unclear if Stull was part of the recording process), Morrison died in July, the band continued to record and finished OV during the summer and early fall, OV was released in the fall.

avp2029, joshm2286, painted8 and 2 others like this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Why not have Stull singing on the albums instead of RK/RM? Band name was also an issue.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. murch

murch Forum Resident

Maybe they intended to, but put down guides with their own voices. Then Morrison dies and they realize it might be in bad taste to release an album with a new vocalist so soon?

avp2029, joshm2286, marklamb and 2 others like this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

As @murch stated, it may have had something to do with the timing of Morrison's death.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

My memory is October, 1971.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Not in 1971. o_O

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

are you saying that because he only had been the bands producer about 2 years at that time?

superstar19 likes this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I guess it depends on the point of view of whoever wrote that. At the time of the release of Other Voices I don't know who might be able to look at Botnick as their "longtime producer". Then again, from a 2020 point of view it makes better sense.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.