The Doors "LIVE AT THE MATRIX" 3 CD set out 8 September 2023 - 3/7 and 3/10 shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, May 11, 2023.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Doors
    Live At The Matrix
    3 CD

Back Door Man (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 5:31
    My Eyes Have Seen You (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 2:55
    Soul Kitchen (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 3:57
    All Blues (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 8:06
    Get Out of My Life Woman (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 4:00
    When the Music's Over (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 12:37
    Close to You (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 2:58
    Crawling King Snake (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 4:55
    I Can't See Your Face in My Mind (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 3:13
    People Are Strange (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 2:19
    Alabama Song (Whisky Bar) [Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67] [2023 Remaster] 3:36
    The Crystal Ship (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 3:06
    Twentieth Century Fox (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 2:45
    Moonlight Drive (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 5:27
    Summer's Almost Gone (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 3:31
    Unhappy Girl (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 3:59
    Woman Is a Devil / Rock Me Baby (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 8:12
    Break on Through (To the Other Side) [Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67] [2023 Remaster] 3:31
    Light My Fire (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 8:20
    The End (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/7/67) [2023 Remaster] 14:10

My Eyes Have Seen You (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 2:59
    Soul Kitchen (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 5:52
    I Can't See Your Face in My Mind (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 3:08
    People Are Strange (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 2:16
    When the Music's Over (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 11:15
    Money (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 3:00
    Who Do You Love (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 4:34
    Moonlight Drive (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 4:34
    Summer's Almost Gone (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 3:47
    I'm a King Bee (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 3:52
    Gloria (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 5:38
    Break on Through (To the Other Side) [Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67] [2023 Remaster] 3:43
    Summertime (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 8:30
    Back Door Man (Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67) [2023 Remaster] 5:12
    The End (Partial) / Let's Feed Ice Cream to the Rats [Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67] [2023 Remaster] 4:32
    Bags' Groove (Instrumental) [Live at The Matrix, San Francisco, CA 3/10/67] 8:40

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Doors Inc righting past wrongs? We shall see, but this is optimistic.

3. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Eh, unless they found some first-generation tapes I'm not sure they've fixed anything. Just remastering it isn't going to cut it.

4. BeatleJWOL

At least we'll be able to hear that sub-par tape that the organization was too cheap to upgrade in its entirety. :shrug:

I'm sure Devil's Radio - er, uh, Pats Radio will be along soon to correct all of us in our wrongthink. :)

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

oh wow, links to order yet?

Sean, marklamb and bluedemon25 like this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

I feel like OP would have dropped them if they exist. Probably will have to wait for a proper announcement later in summer but this is encouraging.

7. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Has the jams listed on each night - that looks promising! Cool!

andrewskyDE, Sean, marklamb and 2 others like this.
  8. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

This does look tempting if it is indeed in all the correct order. It’s a might/probably will buy for me. I don’t have the other Matrix set nor the RSD releases but I do have the debut 50th anniversary set with the Matrix stuff. I’d dig this I think.

Sean, Christopher B, marklamb and 2 others like this.
  9. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Didn't Jampol buy the original tapes from Peter Abram? I might be wrong, can't remember.

10. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

That's what I was gonna say.

I thought they bought the master tapes but instead of releasing something like this, they have been trickling parts out willy-nilly.

What's all this talk about them remastering the old source?

andrewskyDE, J_D__, Fred1 and 5 others like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

it appears this is 36 songs. the old release was 24 songs

12. Militant Dandy

Militant Dandy Forum Resident

Nice! Is there another source for this?

andrewskyDE, Sean, Colinjpush and 2 others like this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

If that's the case then there's comparatively little to worry about here, considering this seems to be all of the recorded material.

Fred1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

Yes, but I ignored the willy-nilly because I was waiting for something like this instead. So I don't know if they used the actual masters for those. You know how these things go.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This looks amazing...

16. BeatleJWOL

Yup. Same organization that lazily copied their Isle Of Wight audio from video to CD so anybody who bought the audio version gets some nice overdubbed motorcycle sounds.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

So, I've never heard the Matrix tapes and don't know the story of them. What's the back story with them? Are they professional recordings and do they really sound bad? I hope not because that track list is incredible.

18. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

These are recordings done by Peter Abram, one of the co-ownera of the Matrix, in the period between the release of the first album and before the breakthrough release of Light My Fire. These tapes do have the potential to sound pretty good if they use the master tape, and do the remastering tastefully. Some raw clips of the master are available below.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'm sure they will do vinyl later to double dip, but so much is here that it hard to complain. RSD vinyl keeps its value for now.

The 16 mins of jams are totally unheard, though may be similar to some 1970 jam AL jam bits or the Ford Film background music on one of the blu-ray - Re-Evolution I think.

I think the proper order with all between song stuff is also being heard for the first time. Those that heard the 2017 RSD version know the quality and audio upgrade. I guess I can move the 2008 release now unless I like the statue cover.

Are the unheard instrumentals jazz covers? Were all Jim vocal officially released one way or another including inferior audio 2008 comp?

20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

All Blues is a Miles Davis composition, Bags' Groove is Milt Jackson (vibes player, nickname Bags).

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I wonder if Bruce Botnik believes in Plangent?

Swansong, Dovetail7, Hamhead and 3 others like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That seems to sound pretty decent. Were these tapes discovered a few years ago and it made the music news? I remember reading something about some Doors live tapes and there being some kind of legal goings on, but it was a long time ago.

23. SoundAdvice

I've seen some fans be critical of adding digital step or digital passes. Comparing the master tape sample vs. The RSD version(or was it the CDrom(?) 75 second sample after got the masters).

Keep in mind the master is a 2 track. Direct line Jim on track 1 and band recorded with mic hanging over the stage as track 2. Botanic will do needed mix/EQ work but the big question is what he does with the reverb.

longdist01 and mBen989 like this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, if it's baked in, saliva can only take so much.

25. SoundAdvice

Guy who ran the Matrix had them all along, until 2009 sale, and it was widely known. Densmore accidentally said his name on the late 90's laserdisc audio commentary, since his name is similar to the Break on Through music video director.

Lots of drama with these master tapes and Doors Inc. Let's just say the tape holder is the good guy in the 3-4 chapters whole story.

There have been releases of other Matrix shows from him. Steppenwolf and maybe Velvet Underground.