The Doors - The Soft Parade 50, what do we expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EdwinM, Jan 19, 2019.

1. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man Thread Starter

In July 1969, almost 50 years ago, the fourth Doors album was released. Leaving the sound of the first three albums and adding brass, the album has a mixed reputation among fans.

All three Doors albums so far got some way of an anniversary edition. In some cases a vinyl/CD box (st and waiting for the sun), while strange days only had a CD debut of the mono version.

There is bonus material which is released earlier, there is video footage and there is a mono mix. Also I expect there are surprises in the vault.

Waiting for action from the Doors record label, what do you like to see released and what do you expect?
    I hope there will be a box in style with waiting for the sun with both original mixes (mono and stereo), a disc with bonus material, a blue ray and a vinyl stereo record to finish the package.

EDIT the mono version I found only in South American countries. Might be an unofficial mix. Who knows more?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

In.

The title track is my favorite Doors tune. it's like everything wrapped up in a big Doors burrito. With hot sauce on top.

3. I expect a long Hoffman forum thread about a Doors release that ends up in acrimony once again.

Ohhh, you meant what goodies we'll get as bonuses. I wonder if we'll really get an elaborate physical set for The Soft Parade. It could be another case of the Strange Days reissue.

4. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

I expect it to be the same album it's been for the previous 49 years - you've all heard it several times.

No need to re-buy what you already own just because there is some 'anniversary' - countless re-releases are for the benefit of the record labels, to sell the same thing again...and again...and again....

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I gladly re-buy albums if they have "new-to-me" content that I want to hear (unreleased songs, demos, B-Sides, etc.).

pulpo, joshm2286, Pawnmower and 11 others like this.
  6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Patiently waiting for the uncut no mess complete Matrix tapes from the masters record box set.
    Soft parade would be cool to include remastered PBS footage
    unless I missed it ? I would like to see those performances pressed
    to record as well if possible.

7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

It’s my favorite Doors album so I’d love to see anything new from the sessions that they could find.

8. EdwinM

I only own the 2007 remix. I was planning to buy the old mix as well, but if the previous line is followed the anniversary release will be closer to that old mix and might include some extra's.

joshm2286 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so these 50th anniversary sets have the original mixes and not the remixes from about 10 years ago?

10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Me too.

Matthew Tate and EdwinM like this.
  11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The mono mix is a fold. Even the singles were coming out in (different) stereo mixes.

I'm hoping that they could do the once rumored "stripped" version. Aside from that, this would be as good an opportunity as any to include the complete, unedited Rock Is Dead session.

12. EdwinM

At least the first three

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

This is the only Morrison fronted Doors album I don’t own, so an anniversary edition would certainly be of interest to me.

Lisa Adamson, Fullbug and EdwinM like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

thank you. reason to keep the remixed albums as well

Shvartze Shabbos and EdwinM like this.
  15. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

Couple of crackers on this album.
    Touch me
    Soft parade
    Running blue
    I was not a fan of the new mixes they done years ago. I thought it was sacrilege.
    Hoping for any extra material or different mixes on another disc. And maybe a Giles Martin style overhaul

16. Matthew Tate

explain

SteveM and EdwinM like this.
  17. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Are crackers good or bad? I like crackers...

18. Mr wiggles

I you like them their good

WahWahHoWah and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Mr wiggles

Although the new intro on the title track was good. It’s just not the original.

EdwinM likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

but that is what was on the reel. the producer cut it and other things for whatever reason.

marklamb and EdwinM like this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I expect a packaging which doesn't fit at all with the previous reissues :p

I hope they can put a nice anniversary edition, it's an album I truly love.

22. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

I don't know why they did what they did for the Soft Parade remix, unless the point was to make it as different as possible.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  23. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

you cannot petition the Lord with prayer!!!

24. What I want in the set (unedited unreleased outtakes) is very different than what I expect (random tracks from a live show, probably with modern day overdubs). Prove me wrong Jampol, prove me wrong.

25. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Not interested.
    I have passed the previous three and I see nothing grabbing my attention for this one.
    Rough mixes? I Will hear them twice
    Boot quality live tracks? No, there are better sounding things to release.
    Outakes? Maybe, but they were absent fromthe first three. I don't see Densmore and Jampol putting them out.

rockclassics likes this.