The Doors - The Soft Parade 50, what do we expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EdwinM, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Forgot, did the same for TAKE IT AS IT COMES. Didn't want to remix that but had no choice, no good original mix tape to use.

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

The Take It As It Comes on the AF Best Of The Doors sounds excellent (best it ever sounded). Was that the one that was the remix?

Any chance the powers that be will let you remix the entire first Doors s/t LP? 2 songs down and only 9 more to go. :D

3. Steve Hoffman

Yes.

No.

4. monkboughtlunch

Once I picture a guy eating pizza using Doors session tape boxes as a plate, I can't unsee it! :D

[​IMG]

5. Steve Hoffman

Just imagine if that was a Sunset Sound legend with "LIGHT MY FIRE" session written on it with all the take numbers. All in Bruce Botnick's handwriting.

Good times.

6. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I wish you were playing a Mad style cosmic joke on us. Talk about blatant disregard for historical artifacts. To think about the material that is now "lost" due to such shenanigans is sad.

Matthew Tate, murch and Chrome_Head like this.
  7. monkboughtlunch

Someone posted on YouTube that a brief part of Rock Is Dead on the Soft Parade 50th box set is missing. See below:

[​IMG]

8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Coolambinding boopalooka nimbo!

9. monkboughtlunch

Some pizza sauce got on that part of the tape, hence the deletion from the box set. :D

10. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I can now confirm that the "it stinks" quote does not come from the Patricia Kennealy feature/interview in Jazz & Pop.

That feature, by the way, is only 4 pages long (not six as I erroneously said earlier), and is quite good: whatever her quirks, Kennealy is a witty and observant writer. The first two pages are mostly about Morrison, the latter two focus more on Krieger and Densmore. She describes Robby as looking like a "hip American Gothic" which, now that I think about it, is pretty spot on.

11. monkboughtlunch

Can you scan and post it?

Mildequator.com lists several other published interviews from that era
    The Doors & Jim Morrison Published Interviews

Here are just a few others

Publication: Circus Magazine
    Issue: Mar - May - Jun - Jul, 1969
    Interview Date: November 10 - 1968
    Publish Date: Mar-July 1969
    Interview Location: Backstage Minneapolis Auditorium - Minneapolis, MN

Info:
    Tony Glover interviews The Doors prior to their November 10th, 1968 performance at the Minneapolis Auditorium. This lengthy interview was published in Circus Magazine over 4 parts, the first in March 1969, the second in May 1969 and the 4th and final part in July 1969. Also included in the interview is Bill Siddons, and a mention of the fact that a tape recorder was not turned on until later in the interview.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Publication: New York Times
    Issue: January 19th
    Interview Date: December 13-14 - 1968
    Publish Date: January 19th - 1969
    Interview Location: L.A. Forum - Los Angeles, CA

Info:
    An interview with Jim Morrison by Michael Lydon conducted over two days during The Doors performance at the L.A. Forum in December 1968. Michael is stationed in San Francisco and interviews Jim on their return from rehearsals at The Forum in Los Angeles and backstage following the show. Portions of this interview are published in the January 19th edition of the New York Times, 5 days prior to The Doors performance at Madison Square Garden. This interview was not recorded.

Publication: Chicago Daily News
    Issue: June 16th
    Interview Date: June 14th - 1969
    Publish Date: June 16th - 1969
    Interview Location: Backstage Chicago Auditorium Theatre - Chicago, IL

Info:
    In between the early and late shows at the Chicago Auditorium Theatre in 1969, James Spurlock is granted an interview with Jim Morrison. Questions about Miami are not to be asked, and portions of the interview are published in the June 16th edition of the Chicago Daily News.

steviebee likes this.
  12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

You have to realize a lot of the members here are nerd types who love to hear about this kind of stuff. This is our chance to look behind the curtain and hear how the sausage is made.

Thanks for sharing.

monkboughtlunch, murch and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome. I actually remixed the entire album at the same time. Basically trying to smooth out the tape on the reels. Was stored badly for years. I figured I'd try it as the tape was slowly respooling..

14. monkboughtlunch

Would love to hear Steve's remix of the full self-titled album!

This fellow on YouTube did an unboxing of the new Soft Parade box...

Does anyone know who pressed the vinyl in the box? Is the vinyl digitally sourced from the Plangent workflow?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

If true, not entirely surprising. Rothchild did apparently leave some bits and pieces on the cutting room floor on occasion. There are some missing sections from the Absolutely Live tapes, such as pieces from New York, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia emcee intro (although some of the missing music could be from John Haeny's work from An American Prayer).

16. murch

murch Forum Resident

Unfortunately I don't know, but I will say the 50th sp Vinyl sounds better than the hi res, perhaps because of the natural warmth that format adds..top end still sounds a tad shrill to me personally, but the pressing quality is very nice.

PinkIsTheSky and marklamb like this.
  17. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man

I was pretty impressed with the sonics on WFTS 50th LP.

I am gonna be checking this one out tonight, looking forward to it!

18. Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but as us usual Doors fans are in this active thread thought it would be OK. Anyway, I found that there’s some interesting interviews mentioning how some songs were recorded:

ssmith3046 and Mother like this.
  19. monkboughtlunch

20. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

A couple of more nerd questions if you dont mind.....

Did you stay pretty close to the original mix?

What changes / adjustments did you make in your mix?

Sure wish I could hear your mix but I know I'm dreaming and it will never happen.

monkboughtlunch likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

No prob. I stayed very close to the original mix. I didn't crunch it like the original. I let it breathe more. You can turn it up and not get ear bleed. Echo, etc. already printed on the four track so that stayed the same (thank goodness, could never replicate that!)

Make sense?

22. PacificOceanBlue

Awesome. If only that mix could be licensed for some sort of special reissue!

23. monkboughtlunch

I’d imagine Steve’s remix of the first album would be a best selling Analogue Productions SACD if it ever came to fruition.

But there are several stakeholders within The Doors camp that would have to bless such a project...might be complicated to get buy in from everyone on such a release.

rockclassics, Matthew Tate and murch like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

No doubt about it. I also suspect there are politics when it comes to the band's engineering, so that could also play a role.

25. Steve Hoffman

You know the "sound" that the current Doors' camp seems to like. It's not my sound..