The Doors - The Soft Parade 50, what do we expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EdwinM, Jan 19, 2019.

1. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Could be. Johnny Depp officiated. 2009?
    I never existed in real time anyway. I think
    I'm up to 1969 but I'm not sure.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Yep, that's the one. Directed by Tom DiCillo and proclaimed (at least by Ray Manzarek) as an official The Doors answer to less historically correct The Doors by Oliver Stone (I like both films btw).

3. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Come on that's what the fans would want that's just not the doors way.

ItsNotIt's and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Announcement soon?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. timbuk

timbuk Forum Resident

This is quick translation from swedish magazine Rock'n'roll. It's an eleven-page article with new interview with John and Robby:

Robby: "Right now we are putting together a Soft Parade box with some unreleased material. There were some songs when we were too drunk or something, so they are not perfect, ha-ha. A couple of blues-songs features Ray on vocal, as Jim couldn't be found. Further, we have erased the orchestra-parts and instead I have recorded new guitar-parts."
    John: "Now you will hear how Soft Parade would have sounded without the orchestra parts. The band is heard much clearer. The box will be relaesed in september."

6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

New guitar parts, again???:confused::eek::eek::doh:

Dodoz and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Again? Have there been other new guitar parts on other releases?? I was unaware of that.. and i don't like the sound of it either...please advise?:help:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

They are out of control with this modern overdubbing nonsense. Removing the orchestra? Ok. But overdubbing new guitar? Forget it.

9. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Sounds Great to me, I’m all in! The few songs don’t work without the orchestra,some new guitar licks will probably pull them together. It’s their music so what ever works is fine with me. We will get the original Lp and this orchestra-Free tracks will be on a bonus disc. Where do I preorder!

10. New guitar parts? Pass.

11. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Yeah... no.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

:winkgrin::winkgrin:There are only 4 songs with orchestra parts! These new orchestra-free songs will be on the Bonus disc! Robby is a great guitar player,this will sound awesome. Still Don’t like it,Don’t buy it. I’m getting mine with a Big Smile on!:winkgrin::winkgrin:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

1. Will Rock is Dead be newly mixed, complete and unedited (as it happened with no overdubs)?
    2. Will the alternate takes (multitrack tapes) that surfaced at auction several years ago be represented?
    3. I don’t have an issue with Krieger overdubbing new guitar for the original album masters sans orchestra. It’s not like the original stereo album masters will go out of print. I just hope he plays on vintage gear and in a style consistent with 1968/69 so it doesn’t sound out of sync.

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm not worried about the stereo masters going out of print. I'm set on that front. I was interested in hearing orchestra-free mixes. But not with modern overdubs. The Doors seem set on saving me money.

KAJ1971 and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. monkboughtlunch

All the 50th sets thus far have underdelivered. I’m not optimistic about the Soft Parade 50th, but would love to be surprised with a quality release. And where is the complete Matrix box from the source tapes that has been promised for 10 years?

Matthew Tate, RAZORMADE and rnranimal like this.
  16. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

We are never gonna see a Matrix box.

monkboughtlunch and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

We expect that it came out 50 years ago and move on 49 years ago. :wiggle:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It will be released on the 50th anniversary of when they first promised a complete Matrix release. My family knows exactly what to get me for my 80th birthday!

19. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I hope the added guitar has the great production value of the 1960s - it would sound terrible with the dull, sanitized sounds of the last few decades.

20. monkboughtlunch

Let’s Feed Ice Cream to the Rats

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. Cake?

Sean and monkboughtlunch like this.
  22. monkboughtlunch

The computerized drum samples they overdubbed on Isle of Wight were cringeworthy.

23. monkboughtlunch

Emphasis being on “few?”

24. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I hope there's ice cream to go with it.

monkboughtlunch likes this.
  25. monkboughtlunch

Broadcast quality 2 inch quadruplex videotapes are apparently MIA. All that apparently exists is an inferior unknown generation dub (perhaps U-matic) of the edited 2 inch broadcast master that a TV station employee made for themself and later gave (sold?) Manzarek in the 1980s. Perhaps the 2 inch source reels and broadcast master were wiped, stolen or destroyed.

Frank Lisciandro’s photos at WNET suggest more songs may have been performed and taped than were included in the edited broadcast master.

Hope better quality WNET tapes surface but am not optimistic. If someone finds the 2 inch unedited source videotapes, the quality would be much better and might also contain unreleased performances that didn’t make it into the broadcast edit.

Maybe someone could ask the original WNET production crew what became of the 2 inch source reels.

TheDailyBuzzherd and marklamb like this.