THE DOUBLE LIFE OF BOB DYLAN Vol 1. A Restless, Hungry Feeling. By Clinton Heylin Due April 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Snoddywilko, Mar 27, 2021.

1. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It's not worth $30 to me to wade through 500 pages of Heylin's smug, I'm-so-cute prose; his inner monologue on the page; and his self aggrandizement; for the 100 pages of interesting information the book might contain. I'll also probably do like you and wait until I can come across a used copy, or borrow one from a library. I've read five Heylin books in my life. I'm not rushing out to read another one.

905 and Attila the Professor like this.
  2. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I agree. I really love those two books. For starters someone finally wrote a book about the songs. I get tired of reading about people’s lives when the only reason I care about them in the first place is because I love their songs. I wish more artists would have books focusing on the songs.

It’s been a while, but I recall him having an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the traditional songs that Dylan either borrowed from or referenced in his own music. I admit that I did get taken aback when he didn’t appreciate certain songs that I loved, and he would be pretty final in his judgments, but what can you do. I suppose that’s better than absolute praise. As a resource I imagine those are the two ultimate Dylan books.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, reading about semi-obscure songs like studio outtakes when compared to a released version. Heylin got to the point on several songs (that I really like) I was in question about. "Bline Willie McTell" and "New Danville Girl" had meaning in the lyrics I'd have never thought of. And Heylin was correct, dare I say spot on. Or he took a guess, and came up with something pretty damn close, no I don't think so. he knows Bob's deep background in some very old obscure blues songs.

PS The Recordings Sessions book is the best we had on that topic for a looooonnnngg time.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Syscrusher likes this.
  4. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

Yeah, I think this thread has went too hard in the direction of "Clinton Heylin is worse than useless and should be denied money for his work." I think a lot of his stuff is compelling reading, with Revolution in the Air/Still On the Road being mandatory in terms of all the megageek background he gives to most tracks. No one's saying you have to co-sign his opinions, style, or factual analysis but the guy's put in the work.

DeeThomaz, bobcat and Syscrusher like this.
  5. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

The answer, my friend, is in about two dozen Van Morrison songs.

6. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Song was released in 1954. I wonder if this was a slight oversight?

7. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I’m REALLY interested. I think I’ve had mine on order since December and it looks like it’s finally scheduled to be delivered May 18th. As you say, I’m very eager to see what he finds revelatory in the Archives. There’s plenty of Clinton I’ve enjoyed reading on Dylan, but to have this “peak” into Tulsa seems an absolute must read for me ASAP. Looking forward to its arrival on the 18th (I hope!).

bobcat and Snoddywilko like this.
  8. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

If only the Tulsa Archive wasn't in Tulsa. Unfortunately, the chances of this unwashed peasant even going to Tulsa, let alone being invited into the Archive, are threefold: fat, slim, and none. What's wrong with having the Archive in - I don't know - Milton Keynes?

There I go again. Why do I keep asking rhetorical questions?

Tommyboy, bobcat and onlyconnect like this.
  9. Percy Song

Best or least accurate?

10. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

Love him or loathe him, but his knowledge and insight on Bob Dylan is ahead of any other current writer out there. However, his new book is very good, but not as ground breaking as I was expecting. He also bashes Ian Bell's excellent books on Bob Dylan in the introduction, in a rant that seems unprovoked and certainly unwarranted. Clinton Heylin does have a legacy for writing very good to excellent books on Bob Dylan though, and they're all worth reading. Check out 'Trouble in Mind' that was published a few years ago. A fantastic read covering the 'gospel' years 1979-1981.

11. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

The Paul Williams books are my favourite Dylan books, at least as far as talking about the recordings. I love the way he writes about the emotional impact the music has on him. As for Heylin, I bought one of his books, the Sgt Pepper cash-in, and that was enough. It soon disappeared off to the charity shop.

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

I was shocked that he wrote a book about Sgt Pepper, given that I'd already read him trashing the album in his intro to Behind Closed Doors (The Recording Sessions). I never read his Pepper book so I have no idea if he reversed his opinion.

905 likes this.
  13. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

Sounds like you’re right going by the email I just received confirming it’s opening in May next year. Email goes on to say there will be an immersive film experience, recreation of an authentic studio experience etc etc but no mention of access to anything less touristy.

I still want to go, but I can’t really see myself travelling to Tulsa anytime soon

14. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

The Pepper book is a strange one! I don't know if it was commissioned, or a moment of madness. He clearly doesn't like the album and spends a considerable amount of time praising early Pink Floyd instead.

905 and slane like this.
  15. Percy Song

Ditto. Meanwhile the great folks at BDA in Tulsa have given us a download of Bruce Langhorne playing "Don't Think Twice..." in 1962 while wearing his Bob Dylan mask.

Bob Dylan Center in Tulsa Unveils Plans, Slots a 2022 Opening - Variety

16. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

"Heylin writes from the perspective that he and Dylan are collaborators on Dylan's life's work" is my maybe ungenerous take (though no less generous than he is). For instance, whatever one thinks of the 2015-17 covers, you'd think the world's preeminent Dylan biographer and interpreter of his creative process would be a little bit interested in why Dylan chose to do those albums of all things and what that step led to in his work, as opposed to literally writing them off and chucking them into the "doesn't count, should have listened to me" pile that he adjudicates. Ditto Chronicles; I mean what is the point of an autobiography that plays with time and truth if it can't be stripped for parts for Bob Dylan: A Life in Stolen Moments Day by Day. Whatever, thanks for the 1966 box, Clint.

17. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Ya I like Paul Williams. I haven’t read is Dylan stuff but his Neil Young book is great.

babyblue likes this.
  18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Sadly re the "Don't Think Twice" download it now says: "This shared file or folder link has been removed or is unavailable to you."

Any ideas where I can find it?

19. Percy Song

Page 380:

Dylan buys a Uher tape recorder for Ginsberg....

"Supposedly, Dylan made his uncharacteristic gesture to Ginsberg partly because he had offered to record fans comments after the [San Jose] show, something he singularly failed to do..."

I guess, unlike the rest of us, Heylin hasn't heard the Ginsberg Tape M0733_s11_ssB_b119_07 on which he interviews fans before and after the San Jose show.

I know I keep going on about it, but this is sloppy research and the more sloppy it gets the more one has a tendency to think, "What else that purports to be fact actually isn't?"

[​IMG]

dee, Sean Murdock, musicaner and 2 others like this.
  20. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

At the very beginning of the tape Ginsberg says he bought the machine. And Dylan has never seen that model and Ginsberg tells him all about it. "I don't know why the f**k I don't get one of those" Dylan says.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Percy Song and RayS like this.
  21. Walking Antique

... and OK, Heylin got some details wrong, not such a big deal by itself. But he turns it into a personal dig that it's 'uncharacteristic' for Dylan to give someone a present, and this one has a selfish motive. And a dig at Ginsburg, too, for being unreliable.

dee, musicaner and Percy Song like this.
  22. Percy Song

Yes, that's right, backstage at San Francisco on Tape M0733_s11_ssB_b134_05.

Apologies! I'll give myself ten lashes for the misleading summary line I used above: Dylan buys a Uher tape recorder for Ginsberg.... Dylan funds the purchase of a Uher tape recorder...

Legend has it that Dylan gave Ginsberg $600 to buy a Uher (he spent $500, it seems, but maybe he bought some reels with the rest) but now I can't remember where that legend originated. It might have been in a conversation between Ginsberg and Heylin.

I'd guess it was a 4000 Report-S which was the latest model at the time.

[​IMG]

23. Walking Antique

A reliable writer admits his mistakes.

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

25. Percy Song

oxegen, bobcat and RayS like this.