The Eagles Legacy 15LP Set coming November 2, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Hard to say especially given that his material is or was available to download as mp3’s. Perhaps this would have sold better if they would have released material from each member before they joined the Eagles.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

any way to find out how well the longbranch/pennywhistle sold?

3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I have that 4CD set and to my ears the 'Millennium Concert' sounds too bright and thin sounding.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

don't most eagle fans (say at least 90%) have everything by the band already?

$180 for a skimpy rarities disc.......really.

EricSwan and Szeppelin75 like this.
  5. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

I bought the last vinyl released boxset a few years ago and have most of the originals so can't see any point in splashing out again.
    To be honest I've not played any of them for a few years.

6. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

They're brickwalled to the point of distortion. Both the hi-rez and CDs.

7. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

How does the audio/video quality on the HFO DVD compare to the original or is it the same?

How about the Long Road Out of Eden CDs?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  8. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Bump on two previous questions - any details on the origins of the pressings, and any impressions on the vinyl sound quality?

9. Being that it was on a smaller label, they rarely pressed more than 10,000 copies at a time back then. It had a following in Southern California, but beyond that, its was relatively unknown.

10. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Agree with this assessment of the CD version - sending it back tomorrow.

Record Rotator likes this.
  11. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Sign up for a Tidal and stream it in MQA if you want to taste test the HD. I think Long Road sounds the best I've heard it--previously that would be the direct release vinyl....the original albums, I've only played a few tracks, but it just sounded like the original 192 masters, which I think are definitive.

I would really like them to sell Long Road at 192 by itself. I already own the 2013 (or whenever that was) HD boxed set, and don't care a lot about the live and Bsides.

Also--the fact that a set "so complete" is missing Hell Freezes Over....is annoying. Particularly, again not caring about the live recordings, the 4 studio tracks....Learn to Be Still is one of my fave Eagles/Henley tracks ever....

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i was talking about the recently released CD.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

spotify has an album by the eagles called 'singles and b-sides" it is directly from the legacy box.

i wonder if they plan on an individual release?

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  14. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Hmm. I'm still tempted to pick this up on vinyl.

15. Dirk the Nightfly

Dirk the Nightfly Forum Resident

Well, I downloaded the set in high resolution on Qobuz and I'm satified. I compared EAGLES, ON THE BORDER, ONE OF THESE NIGHTS, THE LONG RUN and EAGLES LIVE with the original CDs and the Ted Jensen remasters and I like the LEGACY remasters best (the original albums sound muddy and lifeless in comparison and the Ted Jensen remasters sound way to bright). Just my opinion. I also dig SINGLES & B-SIDES. The non-inclusion of HELL FREEZES OVER is a pity of course.

16. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Sounds terrible. What happened to the warm and vital drum sound of the original recording? Sad!

btomarra likes this.
  17. Dirk the Nightfly

Dirk the Nightfly Forum Resident

Okay, the Barry Diament mastering of the original DESPARADO CD is unbeatable.

18. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

So, just to clarify, is everyone saying that all of the studio albums in this new Eagles Legacy CD Box are totally brickwalled...all of them?

Are these brand new 2018 remasters or does this Box utilize older remasters or sources? Does it say who remastered them?

Are the live CDs and the Singles & B-sides disc also brickwalled or do they sound better?

19. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

The remasters of the studio albums seem to be the ones previously used and they were mastered by Grundman & Bellman. The live albums were mastered by Ludwig. The CDs levels are maximized for discomfort. I've heard the LPs on a friends setup and they are a bit harsh sounding in the high end. The guy who left that review on Amazon was dead on. Check the DR database as there is a hi res post with the values, minus Hell Freezes Over.

Futurecity likes this.
  20. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

The set is an obvious, blatant cash grab. 100% agree with the above post. Since most fans already have the Eagles music that they want, to maximize interest and sales, why not offer remixed albums to give their audience something novel, e.g. The Beatles recent Sgt Pepper's and White Album reissues. And how about CDs and vinyl carefully mastered to maximize dynamic range instead of releasing recordings that are volumized beyond the point of distortion - is that such a crazy thing to expect? Apparently, The Eagles don't care about preserving or enhancing the quality of their musical legacy and they won't get another dime from me until they change, which probably won't happen until Hell Freezes Over.

Futurecity and Rad Dudeski like this.
  21. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have been more detailed in my comments. For me, the odds were somewhat stacked against the CD set to begin with, as I already have some of the material plus it seemed overpriced. Nonetheless I went ahead and ordered it, hoping for the best.

The first thing that struck me as a missed opportunity was non-musical (and therefore in my view not critical to keeping the set or not) - the 60 page "book" was about 95% pictures - for this type of career overview, I would have expected some critical essays on the evolution/history of the band, recording anecdotes, etc., not just endless pictures (I'm not 12 years old anymore...). On to the music - I deliberately picked an album that is not my favourite to start with, The Long Run. I often will start this way when assessing reissues - if they can make me reconsider a recording and hear it more sympathetically with new ears, perhaps they are onto something. That said, I felt that The Long Run sounded very "loud" to me on my system, with no real dynamics. I should mention that I am generally pretty tolerant of "brickwalled" recordings and can sometimes quite enjoy ones that have been deemed "unlistenable" on the Forum. However, in this case, listening to the whole thing was actually a chore and I was glad when it finished.

So that was enough. At the price point, it didn't matter to me what the other albums were like - every item in the box should be satisfactory. So I shipped it back without listening to any more - the one album I sat all the way through was awful (in my opinion, YMMV). Perhaps I was already deciding against it when I saw the packaging versus the pruce. As far as details on sources, who did the remastering, etc., I am not sure, I typically let my ears judge if I like it or not - but there did not seem to be much said about this in the marketing, which is probably a warning sign.

btomarra and Futurecity like this.
  22. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Confirmed with a seller in EMEA that there is an EU version of this set - not sure about the country or pressing plant of origin.

Still considering it. May have to get an EU box and see how it stacks up. I have tube amps in my listening chain, so a more detailed mastering can sound really great.

23. Freelander

Freelander Forum Resident

Can anyone confirm if the vinyl version of this set are the same excellent quality as the Rhino LP versions in 6x box set Studio Albums 1972-1979..?

wwright likes this.
  24. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I’d be curious as well...

25. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the Eagles' music has been remastered in the past 15 years (excluding the Hotel California 40th anniversary edition)? I'm very confused. I own 2003's The Very Best Of and want a similar product with improved sound quality. I looked up 2017's Their Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2 to learn the mastering used goes back to the 2013 mastering of the studio catalog, which *supposedly* goes back to a 2005 mastering of the catalog which uses a late 1990's remastering job. What is going on? Are there any above par mastering jobs of these recordings apart from the original pressings? I'd even take a high res digital format at this point, but would prefer CD. Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on the topic!

JediJoker likes this.