The Eagles MOFI One Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatleboy1968, Jul 30, 2021.

1. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

Listening to S/T MoFi now. Rob has done it again. Like hearing the album for the first time. Just soars. Can’t wait for the others.

2. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

What format?

hi_watt and Joti Cover like this.
  3. NiceMrMustard

SACD. I realize the thread title is One Step but this was the first thread that came up when I did a search on these MoFis.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Eagles - Mobile Fidelity SACD Reviews

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. NiceMrMustard

Joti Cover and Myke like this.
  6. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

So which master tapes were lost in the fire?

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It'd be helpful if you listed the components in your system in your profile. I was curious as to which SACD player you have but nothing is listed.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Ordered the self titled album…I only have the Simon and Garfunkel One Step (keep missing out on the others…and when is Tapestry shipping??) but this is one of my favorites so I couldn’t turn it down.

This might be the only Eagles title I get in this format.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

Ordered the first two on vinyl. My first One-Stop purchase. Hope it's worth it!

11. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

This is big enough news that they mentioned it on the local morning radio show in Pittsburgh (WDVE).

Joti Cover and hi_watt like this.
  12. 470vinyl

470vinyl Well-Known Member

Once processed through a DAC, it is a 1:1 perfect representation in the audible range. This video is what made me see the light. The host is awesome and the entire video is interesting.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    chris8519 likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is a whole bunch of opinion and non-fact masquerading as fact.

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Must have been a really slow news day. ;)

Fruff76 likes this.
  15. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I’ll check it out. I’m skeptical, but I’ll give it a shot!

470man likes this.
  16. 470man

470man Forum Resident

Not opinion, it is fact based on the Nyquist-Shannon theorem.

This video made me see the light.

You would think that a digital recording with higher sampling rate and bitrate than CD spec would result in a more accurate representation of the analog wave in the audible spectrum, but that isn’t how it works. You could make the argument that higher bitrate would improve quality, but the dynamic range provided by 16 bit audio is already higher than analog tape.

CD quality is absolutely perfect in the audible spectrum. There is zero debate. It’s like arguing against 2+2=4.

If you can hear higher than 22.05 kHz, have a source greater than 96 dB (which is like hearing a mosquito next to a jet engine) then yes, SACD has higher quality and you will hear a difference.

Digital audio is freaking cool.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A theorem - by definition - is not fact. It’s a proposed explanation - an opinion, if you will - for certain factual observations.

Whether the explanation accurately and completely applies to how digital is converted to analog audio and what we hear from digital audio in practice is up for debate.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  18. NiceMrMustard

OPPO SACD player. My receiver is from 1996. I live in an apartment so I can’t blast music otherwise I’d upgrade to a pre-amp. But SACDs sound great with this modest set up.

19. Same here! Fingers crossed.

Ryan Bedlack likes this.
  20. 470vinyl

470vinyl Well-Known Member

You're referring to a theory, not a theorem. It does have a mathematical proof that has been verified. Here's another video. Here's the proof.

There is no debate. You can't argue with math and physics. A 20,000 Hz soundwave will sound exactly the same whether it was sampled at 44.1 kHz or 192 kHz. You can't have better than perfect.

More discussion on this should probably be on its own thread or on a math/physics forum.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This is a very unpopular set of facts on this forum. Some people even claim to hear a real difference between a regular CD at 16/44.1 and an SHM CD at 16/44.1 with identical digital masterings.

FashionBoy and chris8519 like this.
  22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

If anything, the tone that DSD applies to the sound wave and noise shaping is probably what people prefer over red book PCM. Hence the preference for SACD or PCM.
    As far as I know the nyquist theorem does not apply to DSD but I never looked into it. I do know that DSD converts the sound wave using a different principle than PCM.

Anyway back on topic! Was there ever a release timeline for the Eagles OneSteps?

James Shines likes this.
  23. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

From what I’ve read here and in the KOB UHQR thread, vacuum cleaning the vinyl imparts MUCH more static and attracts more dust than simply playing it without cleaning. So be aware of that. I never cleaned my Paul Simon one step and it played silent.
    Not as silent as I had hoped; some of the $30 tone poets from RTI are actually quieter. So temper your expectations. But mastering should be impeccable.

Fruff76 likes this.
  24. James Shines

James Shines Forum Resident

Anyway back on topic! Was there ever a release timeline for the Eagles OneSteps?

I'm curious about when the next ones are going to be released as well....any one know?

chris8519 likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Just because the mathematics of the theorem have a proof, the question at hand is arguably quite a bit more complicated than the theorem itself can answer - or was intended to address.

There’s an old adage that if the measurements don’t match what you’re hearing, you’re measuring the wrong things. Conversely, there’s also confirmation bias...

sonofjim and DeRosa like this.