The ethics of the resale

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hbbfam, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I don't know - but I bet you can tell me.

2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Yeah, well, it certainly sounds like it: 'there's no right or wrong - it's all about how you feel.'

3. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

there is right and wrong but in this particular instance of selling tickets the seller decided to let them go at face value and not make a profit - just to recoup what he put into it. In that particular instance is what i was saying wasn't right or wrong - but as long as the seller felt good about it.

That's not to say that works in all situations.

One size doesn't fit all.

4. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

So, we're talking about selective ethics? Do what feels right only in certain situations? But doesn't that take us down a slippery slope?

Brudy likes this.
  5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I am not against making a profit. I am speaking as a collector and music fan. If I am in the business of selling music, then all bets are off. With the personal exception of the nun hypo that I gave. That would be my personal choice.

Music is not a commodity in the pure sense. It is not fungible. It is not an agricultural product or raw material. Like housing it creates market distortion a if it is treated as a fungible good. The value comes from different factors.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Or "Being a narcissist means never having to say you're sorry."

7. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Isn't that the essence of what ethics are?

8. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Situational ethics. Scary stuff.

ian christopher and Atmospheric like this.
  9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

No.

10. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

I was thinking that it could be "gaming the system" if the flippers are using tactics that circumvent the intended rules or manipulate the system to their advantage. Kind of like the extreme couponers who ruined coupons for everyone else.

11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I'm no expert, but isn't an important part of ethics the relationship to other people?

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  12. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I'm not sure how flippers are "gaming the system" or what the "intended rules" they might be manipulating are. The buying and selling of tangible items can always be viewed as some kind of "scam" if that's how you want to see it. Someone is seeking to profit by selling his goods to another. So what we are really talking about here is a matter of degree.

The whole concept of "limited edition" is nothing but a scam and that is what DCC was based upon - "What number do you have? How low is your number?" Any shrink will tell you that the concept of the "limited edition" is nothing but psychological manipulation, plain and simple. "Look what I have. I have one and you don't have one. I am special." Is this not the very basis of the "limited edition" concept? And we all know that the limited edition concept works like gangbusters. That is why limited edition items can be found in everything from cars to freaking candy bars. And I am always on the lookout for limited edition candy bars, so it works on me too. How many of you have tasted a lime or orange flavored Kit Kat bar? Who wants one now? I got 'em - only 10 bucks a pop! So go ahead and line up for your limited edition stuff on Record Store Day and you will feel oh so special when you have that item in your hands. Whether or not your flip it or keep it, you are part of the problem.

13. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

That is really abusive. You assume way too much.

14. BrokenByAudio

a lot less than that, and more than that, generally.

ian christopher likes this.
  15. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

What if the other person is unreasonable? :)

But then again, what if my own feelings are completely counter to what would normally be considered the norm? :eek:

<head explodes>

OK...what's your definition then? I'm game.

16. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Abusive? Are you Tom Perkins?

17. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Maybe someone should remind the deadheads that you can get several imperial ****-tons of their music in high quality (legally) for free... exactly why do you need this show so badly? I mean, c'mon (and I say this as someone with hundreds of hours of soundboards and a few official releases).

18. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

And that is why I say these people are trustafarians or collectors or suffer from OCD or something like that. You want some Dead? You got plenty of Dead. I had access to low generation Betty Cantor soundboards on cassette about 30 years ago and they sounded great on my BX-300. Haha. This is not about access to the music, it's about consumerism.

19. BrokenByAudio

It's your attitude, the way you present yourself in response to his post; it's abusive. Uncivil.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I know her and she is a harsh mistress.

Atmospheric and BrokenByAudio like this.
  21. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Trying to justify past actions?

22. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I just took a look. I was the one called "unethical" and "immoral" for flipping, but somehow I survived those slings and arrows. But thank you for expressing your concern over the harsh insults that were directed at me. I appreciate it.

23. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I don't think I have to justify anything. I do find the conversation interesting and was just throwing the ideas out there. The whole concept of artificial scarcity and "limited editions" and how they wreak havoc on the human brain is interesting to me.

ian christopher likes this.
  24. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Yep, those Dave's Picks that are hot today could be worth much less tomorrow. I have watched many albums go up in value then come back down six months later because the hype was over. If you don't flip RSD items in the first week you are lucky to get your money back. The market is all over the place, buy what you like and want to keep. If I want to invest there are much better places to do it than the collectible music market.

25. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

What I meant was using tactics like multiple subscriptions, fake email accounts, bribbing the thrift store emplyees so they can get access to merchandise before it goes to the sales floor. If the flippers bought it fair and square, they can do what they want with it.

As far as limited edition and collecting goes, I agree that it is a waste of time, energy and money. That is true of most hobbies however.

GTOJUDGE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.