The flaming Lips are back

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkrudy, Jun 3, 2020.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I think the shield has also been erased from "Oczy Mlody" & "King's Mouth", too!
    Instant collectors' item, if you got them !

2. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

My fandom had about a ten year peak from Yoshimi through the series of collaborative EP's they released in 2011. I never really gave the Sgt. Pepper remake with Miley Cirus a chance, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Terror, Oczy Mlody, and King's Mouth.

I've purposely avoided the new tracks, but if the descriptions comparing this new stuff to Soft Bulletin era stuff are accurate, then color me especially excited. They've had a couple missteps over the last decade and a half (for my tastes, anyway), but they've not given me any indication that they're incapable of still making some really good music. I'm quite looking forward to this.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    pinkrudy likes this.
  3. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

I would spend an extremely irresponsible amount of $$$ to rent a family-sized space bubble at Lips show right now.

elee532 and Buddybud like this.
  4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Yeah, that's usually a square, but since the new Warner logo doesn't lend itself the same "striking" effect as the shield, they probably re-shaped it to be shield-like. I guess we should be glad they opted to stick with the skull and not a fetus or something.

I wasn't wowed by any of the tracks so far, but I will still buy anything the Lips put out. I didn't really care for Oczy Mlody or King's Mouth, but I still listen to them regularly. The Lips are just that good. :cool:

vince likes this.
  5. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Exactly. The Flips haven't ever gone anywhere. Since 2006, they've been one of the most prolific bands I can think of with an album every other year or so at most.

6. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member Thread Starter

another track and fantastic like the rest imo. its beautiful however the lyrics are kind of funny i dont know whether to feel the beauty of the music or laugh at the lyrics sometimes :p

Oyster Boy likes this.
  7. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Really, really looking forward to the album, fantastic track like you say. The first part really reminds me of Sparklehorse and there’s nothing wrong with that. Beautiful fragility.

pinkrudy likes this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Another love song. I don’t typically turn to The Lips for love songs, but...

Oyster Boy and pinkrudy like this.
  9. pinkrudy

new song with vocals by steve drozd. He sounds just like wayne. decent guitar solo at the end.
    Its another beautiful song. This album might dethrone soft bulletin?

10. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Wow, I really like the production on this one. It sounds really good with headphone on thru youtube stream, hoping the digital release sounds even better. Nice fat synths and clean drumming. In fact the drum licks reminded me of Nick Mason. Not knowing anything about the album it sounds like they put a lot of effort into it. Oh and nice slide guitar in spots which eventually leads to a nice solo (remember guitar solo's?)

Oyster Boy and pinkrudy like this.
  11. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

LeeGriffin and pinkrudy like this.
  12. pinkrudy

thanks for the link. i didnt even know preorders where up on the official store with the signed art print.
    its sold out now.

however i was able to order one from the EU store link you provided.

and it ends up being cheaper. its 50$ plus shipping on the lips official site but its 35$+11$ shipping on the EU store.

13. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Can Wayne even sing anymore? It's been a decade since I've heard a vocal from him that wasn't processed all to Hell and back.

14. pinkrudy

maybe not live but sounds fine on record.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  15. InStepWithTheStars

His vocals were great on Embryonic but not much of that was actually singing. Around 2010, his voice went into the toilet and I haven't heard a good vocal take. The heavy processing worked on The Terror, by nature of the album, but in their more song-like compositions, the decay is glaringly obvious. He's been quoted within the past five years as calling cocaine a recreational drug like marijuana, so that might explain part of it.

16. warpedwing

warpedwing Forum Resident

As a long-time fan of The Lips up through Yoshimi, I have to say that these new tracks aren't grabbing me at first listen. Perhaps it needs time. Not one up-tempo track? Not sure I can take a whole record of mid-tempo ballads.

17. pinkrudy

you know,that is true. my favourite track on yoshimi was in the morning of magicians and on soft bulletin i think it was race for the prize.

I didnt think about that. this could be a downfall of american head.

warpedwing likes this.
  18. warpedwing

And where is the humor that I always thought was intrinsic to the band? The levity? I miss that element from their earlier material.

19. InStepWithTheStars

There's two different bands called the Flaming Lips - one which existed from 1983 to 1996 and one which existed from 1996 onwards. While there is some levity to be found in the second group, they tend to have a highly serious focus. That, to me, is what drew me to them. Their focus is "everything will die and nothing will last forever, but that doesn't compare to the joy of being alive, so embrace it!" That was something I needed to hear when I discovered them, and that's why I've stuck with them - and will continue to stick with them - even though the last two albums were not very good.

To be fair, the early years of the band also had that same enthusiasm for life - but rather than be up front with it, they wrote songs about giraffes. What I hear in the first band is a group of people who really want to say something but aren't sure how. The second band found the way to say it. At the same time, what some people see in the first band is a great group of fun-loving weirdos, and see the second band as overly serious and no fun. It is hard to find middle ground - I love both bands, but the second is my favorite by a long shot.

Buddybud, Oyster Boy and timnor like this.
  20. warpedwing

I guess I prefer the incarnation of the band that was able to balance levity with cosmic heaviness. I don't like their sillier songs about giraffes, zoos, etc., but some albums like Hit to Death and Transmissions seem to strike the balance that I prefer. But I'm always open to growing into new reincarnations of the band!

vince likes this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

here, here..
    it can't ALL be melancholy stuff....

Buddybud likes this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

These new songs sound promising. I love their Soft Bulletin through Embryonic run, but they lost me soon after as it seemed like the quality was dropping fast and hard. I don't think I heard anything from their 2019 release. I'd love a new Lips album that is really good, and my hopes are definitely up after hearing these new songs. Something about this band is pure magic when they are firing on all cylinders.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  23. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

Is it just me or does it look like Wayne has been doing Botox or something? His face just seems off on these few videos. Maybe it's the make-up, I don't know

24. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

My limited edition arrived. I didn't realise it was being released so soon. It's a really nice package. The swirl vinyl looks really fantastic, is flat and sounds good. Album cover art is included as a card insert signed by Wayne 2020 with a smiley sun. Time to soak up the music.

Whoops ! Spoke too soon ! Side 3 full of clicks and pops :shake:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  25. pinkrudy

wow so you get it 2 weeks early if you bought it from their site? interesting. but sucks about the quality control.