The Flintstones

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grant, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I saw an ad for the "Flintstones" DVDs in the Sunday comics section of the Washington Post. So yes, clearly these are being marketed at kids...

2. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Remember when Wayne and Garth had her on one of their Top 10 Babe lists??

GRROOWRR!!

:righton:

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I know some of you won't reconize me here at the Visual Arts Forum. I never post here but had to chime in about the Flintstones. I saw this yesterday at Borders it was $65.00. Yikes!!! Had to go to Sam's Club for some stuff and there it was $39.99, picked it up but fast. This is a well done package and I highly recommend it, if you are a fan of the Flintstones!

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

So, Joe, was the laugh track intact or at least available as a menu option? :confused:

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Interesting (IMO), It never was a kids show...I always saw it as an adult cartoon of the Honeymooners. As a Kid back then, the 8:30 time slot was way past my bedtime of 7:00PM! This airbrushing, editing of smoking ads/photo's on Music, Video, etc is out-of-hand...Direct the editing where it belongs:), Definitely not on 40 year old media!!!! Outrageous!:mad:

6. Joe Koz

No option on that, Gary. And yes, the laugh track is on it but I noticed it more on the first few episodes, it seemed to be tone-down on the later shows. I also noticed what I thought was a newer Barny's voice (when the show was in syndication) is actually the original voice.
    Also, Fred is more abusive to Barny on the first season, I thought I was imagining it, until my wife mentioned it. I think I'll enjoy the next few seasons more (when Harvey Kormen gets in the act) but I'm glad we bought it, I'm really enjoying it.

7. Joe Koz

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

What's interesting to me about that show was the references to modern day life (for the '50's, at least). Like Cary Granite, some type of western movie, Madame Yes (was that the "response" to Dr. No?), etc.

Thanks for the info., Joe. I think the W. and I will get a couple of BrontoBurgers tonight... ;)

Gary

9. Oatsdad

Some shows have tracks, some don't - it varies. But as noted, there's no option to change this - you get what they issue...

10. Oatsdad

No, it wasn't. It may have appealed to kids, but like most Disney movies, it wasn't simply AIMED at them. Animation across the board gets treated like kids' stuff even when it's not...

11. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Some remarks on the first season episodes:

The Prowler: An oddity- IIRC, there's one instance in that episode in which Barney's "modern" voice crops up in the middle, but is otherwise the voice Mel Blanc adopted for most of the first season.

The Tycoon: I know the DVD review by the poster of this thread didn't think much of this episode. When I was young, and even now, it creeped me out-in a good way. Like a psychological thriller. I liked the way the end of the episode was shown at the beginning, and the rest was flashback.

Does Daws Butler as Barney (replacing Mel Blanc who had a serious car accident) appear in the second season?

BTW, I only had a look at the DVD in a store, and it was played silent. Looks great!

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I was amused by the Flintstones as a kid. I watched the first show at a friend's house I remember. I also remember watching our neighbor's color TV when Pebbles was born.

I can't watch 'em anymore though; 37 years of endless repeats have taken their toll.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There is a cheap Madacy DVD set of lots of vintage commercials including cigarette ads but we know the quality of a lot of Madacy product.

14. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

YES!!! Guess what my wife wanted as her birthday present... The Flintstones DVD set!!!!

Now I have a valid excuse to order it from Amazon.com!!! :D

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yea, but...think of the wonderful DVD presentation. The Colors are supposed to be wonderful:) I'm gonna pick this up...I just love owning all my Childhood favorites on DVD!

16. Oatsdad

Although I didn't start this thread, I assume you mean me, since I think mine's the only review mentioned. So I have to say: huh? I love "The Tycoon"! From my review:

"The Flintstones tends to remake the same plot many times, and we’ll see more shows in future years with Flintstone doppelgangers. None of them live up to the original, which presents some great moments. I love the way it simplifies the business process, and it also demonstrates an unusual – for the series, at least – flashback structure. It’s a terrific show."

This episode would be great if only for "Whose baby is that? What's your angle? I'll buy that!"

17. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Oops, my mistake. I understood the review as The Tycoon being a rehash of an earlier episode of that season. That episode really stands out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.