The Gene Clark Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Next Year's Man, Sep 28, 2018.

1. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

It sounds to me like the short version may have been forced by the limitation of cutting the vinyl side. It fades right in the middle of a verse, which is not a satisfying listen.

Clarkophile likes this.
  2. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

That's weird cos mine is also a Takoma, first CD release, original cover and despite what's written on the back the actual duration is 4.59.

AlienRendel and Clarkophile like this.
  3. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

My copy is of the first CD release (TAKCD 7112) and I assume that correlates with the vinyl release (and the cassette) since Discogs has them all released in 1984, so it would seem that the longer version was issued at the same time as the shorter. Dunno why the original vinyl version would have a shorter version...as Hulloder states above, his vinyl copy (Uk pressing Making Waves also issued in 1984) has the full track. Now, if we really want to go down the rabbit hole, does anyone know the track timing of the cassette version lol.

Clarkophile likes this.
  4. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

What is this? I take it the seller uploaded a pic that somehow distorted the original red colour?[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    lemonade kid likes this.
  5. AlienRendel

Yeah, that looks like it's just a bad picture of the pressing I have.

Clarkophile likes this.
  6. Clarkophile

7. AlienRendel

Nicely done, and a good reminder that I need to track down a copy of Gypsy Angel. I am saddened to hear you refer to "The Lost Studio Sessions" as a failure - I really thought it was terrific and go back to it often.

8. Clarkophile

Thanks. In terms of sales it could’ve done better, I meant. But I’m glad you dug it.

zobalob, bzfgt and AlienRendel like this.
  9. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Fantastic Tom! Thanks for taking the time and interest to keep Gene's accomplishments in the spotlight, as small as that may appear to be in latter days. Always like hearing or reading anything new when it comes to him. Hopefully it's not quite over yet!

zobalob and Clarkophile like this.
  10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The Edsel edition of Roadmaster might be what really got me interested in finding more Gene music! By the time the Sierra Lost Studio set came along I was primed and really enjoyed that more than possibly anything else released that year (and it's what led me to SHF trying to find updates about it). :cool:

As for the '80s, the recording of Lover's Turnaround is one of the most devastating and incredible performances I've ever heard!

zobalob, bzfgt, pobbard and 1 other person like this.
  11. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Just got a copy off discogs for $6 plus shipping, I was kicking myself for not buying the one I saw in person years ago but didn't have all the essentials yet. This is a PRC pressing and it's the 3:14ish version, isn't the longer version exclusive to The Byrd Has Flown? I'd be curious what pressing otherwise for the completist in me.

lemonade kid likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Gene Clark IMO, he was the best Byrd in the early line up..my fav anyway...great writer.
    RMG is a poser he will always be a poster...the best thing about him was his Granny Glasses which were extremely annoying...

lemonade kid likes this.
  13. Melele

Melele Groover

I was not at all familiar with Gene Clark’s solo material, but heard Gypsy Rider (Alternate version) on the Bucketfull of Brains compilation Time Will Show The Wiser and was floored by the voice, songwriting and recording quality. A timeless, beautiful song. I look forward to digging further into his catalog.

14. Clarkophile

Oh wow, I haven’t played that version in a while because my CDs are in storage. Very nice version indeed!

zobalob, lemonade kid, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  15. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

No need to rehabilitate Firebird for me @Clarkophile Ive always loved that album.

zobalob, Clarkophile and lemonade kid like this.
  16. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Do!

17. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Gene Clark was the man. (Because he shagged Michele Phillips.)

18. Clarkophile

Fair enough, but my comment—and the series of blogposts I wrote on the subject—wasn’t necessarily limited to the album proper, but also included rehabilitation of its reputation, after years of shoddy, gaudy, disrespectful, opportunistic releases.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    zobalob and lemonade kid like this.
  19. AlienRendel

It's a good blogpost - I remember reading it awhile back. The wild variety of covers puzzled me when I was first picking up Gene's work, but I ended up with an original LP copy, which has the best artwork anyway.

zobalob, lemonade kid and Clarkophile like this.
  20. Clarkophile

Right? I used to think it was kinda boring, and would’ve preferred the back cover photo as front, but as early computer-generated images go, the red-black combo is pretty striking to my eye nowadays. Don’t ask me why…
    Thank you for reading my post.

zobalob and AlienRendel like this.
  21. lemonade kid

Yes...a rehabilitation of a classic properly restored to its rightful place in the Gene Clark album lexicon. The original album cover is the only one that gives FireByrd its due respect.

Powerful:

[​IMG]

This one isn't bad:

[​IMG]

beccabear67, zobalob and AlienRendel like this.
  22. lemonade kid

zobalob likes this.
  23. marazico

marazico Too Busy Staying Alive!

Gene Clark Collected - Music on CD

Released 10 Dec 2021

Gene Clark Collected brings together a full overview of the legendary singer/songwriter’s extensive career. Though he never reached stardom as a solo artist, Gene Clark inspired many of the greats with his songwriting, including Robert Plant, John Mayer, Gram Parsons and many more.

This release contains both his work with groups and duo’s like The Byrds, The Gosdin Brothers, Dillard & Clark, McGuinn, Clark & Hillman and Carla Olson, as well as many tracks from his highly regarded solo albums. The 3rd disc contains a beautiful selection of rarities, demo’s and outtakes. The cover photo is a previously unseen photo by legendary L.A. photographer Henry Diltz, the digipack and booklet contain more photos, albums and singles artwork and extensive liner notes.

24. Clarkophile

Huh. No track list. Anybody know anything about this label?
    Got this off Amazon
    Tracks: CD 1: 1. I’ll Feel A Whole Lot Better 2. I Knew I’d Want You 3. Set You Free This Time 4. If You’re Gone 5. Echoes 6. I Found You 7. So You Say You Lost Your Baby 8. Train Leaves Here This Mornin’ 9. The Radio Song 10. Why Not Your Baby 11. Don’t Be Cruel 12. Don’t Let Me Down 13. Rocky Top 14. Polly 15. White Light 16. For A Spanish Guitar 17. 1975 18. Because Of You 19. She’s The Kind Of Girl 20. Full Circle Song 21. She Don’t Care About Time 22. Changing Heart 23. No Other CD 2: 1. Life’s Greatest Fool 2. Some Misunderstanding 3. Strength Of Strings 4. Home Run King 5. In The Pines 6. Kansas City Southern 7. Hear The Wind 8. Give My Love To Marie 9. Don’t You Write Her Off 10. Backstage Pass 11. Surrender To Me 12. Won’t Let You Down 13. Painted Fire 14. Tambourine Man 15. If You Could Read My Mind 16. Gypsy Rider 17. I’m Your Toy (Hot Burrito #1) CD 3: 1. So You Say You Lost Your Baby (Acoustic Demo) 2. Los Angeles 3. I Pity The Poor Immigrant 4. That’s Alright By Me 5. Wall Around Your Heart 6. Lyin’ Down The Middle 7. Dark Hollow 8. The American Dreamer 9. Stand By Me 10. Ship Of The Lord 11. Opening Day 12. Winter In 13. Because Of You (Alternate Mix) 14. One In A Hundred (Alternative Mix) 15. She’s The Kind Of Girl (Alternative Version) 16. Here Tonight 17. Del Gato (Live) 18. Changes 19. Your Fire Burning (Demo) 20. Here Without You

The fact that it contains Surrender to Me is a big red flag.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Next Year's Man, milankey and zobalob like this.
  25. marazico

marazico Too Busy Staying Alive!

Is it anything new?