"The Genius Of Ray Charles", one of the greatest albums ever recorded, one of the worst sounding..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Would a super duper high end needle drop of the tube cut of "The Genius Of Ray Charles" be good enough to master from that? Some of the SUN stuff from Elvis is NOT from tape source and sounds very good.

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Not these days, at least not at any of the thrift shops or record stores I've been too. Of course you never know when one may pop up.

In the mean time I play the MFSL. It sounds much better than the Atlantic stereo CD. So my quest for an early stereo LP begins...

3. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Mine is a third pressing I guess the matrix numbers are stamped STA 59161 3S and STA 59162 3S. The label is pink, white and brown stripes. It's been a while since I listened to it but I don't remember it sounding that great.

Chad

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'm sure it does. If Rob mastered it (don't know if he did) he knows good mastering tricks to bring out the best in the sound.

vonwegen likes this.
  5. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I can check on the SACD package when I get home, but I am 99% sure he did master it.

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Some of us aren't at home, and don't recall what version we have! :wave:

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Since it is already 7.30 pm here in Athens, I am at home and checked that indeed Rob LoVerde mastered the Mofi SACD.

Jazz Nut likes this.
  8. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

that sounds like it might be an RCA record club pressing...

9. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

That's what the website says, but there is nothing on the sleeve or label to indicate that it's a RCA record club pressing.

Chad

10. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Yup, for one of that period there likely wouldn't be any note or sticker on the jacket ... the giveaway is the incorrect-color labels (those are the Atco stereo colors) and the 3s at the end of the stamper numbering. There are a bunch of Atlantic titleswith those wrong color labels that are RCA pressings dating from the late '60s.

vonwegen likes this.
  11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

My record is the same as your record, except 1S/1S. Doesn't sound very good.

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Post #10 in this thread gives great detail to the answer of this question!

13. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, I remember now. Forgot all that...

14. Steve Hoffman

There has been some confusion as to how this album was recorded. Atlantic's little studio was too small for all the players so they did it at A&R. I've long accepted as fact that they unbolted the Ampex 8 Track and took it with them. Even the tape files show that the album was done on 8 track. However, unless they took the special console that Tom Dowd designed, how would they have fed the mics to the various channels? So, I'm suspicious. On the other hand, nothing ever coming out of A&R from that era sounded that bad except this album. So....

vonwegen likes this.
  15. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Here's one minute from my copy, the record depicted in my current avatar. Late 1960s RCA club pressing, stamped matrix STA-59161-4S (mis-stamped 58161, with the 8 having a dash through it and the correct 9 stamped directly above it).

https://www.box.com/s/rnsimdg0crvpiebukqww

vonwegen likes this.
  16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

That's how my 1S/1S, with all that distortion.

17. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

If MoFi is reissuing the mono version, why not have Audio Fidelity release the stereo version (preferably on hybrid SACD)? I'd buy them both.

vonwegen and Jazz Nut like this.
  18. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

That would be awesome!

19. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I went to check my copy of this to see what I had ... and I don't have one! I certainly did at one point, so it musta been trashed and I re-homed it. At least now I know what version to look for.

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Sigh, that's the same one I have too. The matrix codes are machine stamped. :cry: I've wondered why it was so inferior to my other Atlantc Ray Charles albums.

21. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I have a NM copy of this classic with the MG number hand written in the deadwax......I have yet to spin this using the Fisher 800-c, but perhaps I will do that this weekend.
    ray 2.png

vonwegen, Blank Slate and Cassius like this.
  22. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

Hi,
    I was thinking getting the Rhino LP. Is it the mono or the stereo version? How good does it sound? I saw one comment earlier in the post, but no comments on the quality of the sound. If it is stereo, is it hard panned stereo? I'm only familiar with the MFSL mono version.
    Thanks!

23. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

GREAT too see you using my fave term "wet"!
    "Save the Liquidity"
    Ha, ha!!

King Oliver's "Wa-Wa-Wa":

24. Steve Hoffman

Hear the sonic resemblance? "Wa Wa Wa" sounds better.

25. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

And Tom Dowd and Bill Schwartau had real mikes to work with instead of that awful pallophotophone!