The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Can’t wait for this re-issue. Should be within a couple of months

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Big Rock Pow Wow! The last RT I ever bought, before it sold out. This was only a few years ago. Oh wait, not true, I bought the Egypt bonus disc offah eBay less than a year ago.

Currently on disc 3 of '76 30 Trips. Just started it--"The Wheel!"

budwhite likes this.
  3. any pics?

there may still be time to do an enhanced re-enactment- Youtube $$$ may defray your expenses

get the wigs out, shaving cream, strobe light, whatever...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Thanks; I'll give this due deference. But not tonight.

5. mmthmj

mmthmj Forum Resident

3/15/90
    "Drums" (Hart, Kreutzmann) – 6:16 >
    "And" (Bob Bralove, Hart, Kreutzmann) – 3:43 >
    "Space" (Garcia, Lesh, Mydland, Weir) – 10:06 >

I don't care what show they choose for the next Dave's Pick as long as it has a sweet, jammed-out And.

Billy_Sunday, bzfgt, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  6. wavethatflag

I never get tired of disco "Dancing In The Street" Dead. Other than some recording problems here and there, this '76 30 Trips show is fairly decent.

Creole Gris-Gris and budwhite like this.
  7. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Good thing summer's coming up. You won't need to fix that for months. Plenty of time to find some money in the budget.

In fact it'll help keep the house cool for summer. Like a vent - stick a fan in it and you're a hero.

8. wavethatflag

4/25/77 Passaic 30 Trips. Big shout out to @bzfgt, 'cuz Jersey.

Bobby's number one occupation was stealing women from their men. His second was the GD.

Jerry's number one occupation is blowing my mind.

Mr. US Blues in the hi-ouse.

Not enough green lights in the upper left hand corners of our various avatars at 9:32 PM PST on a Wednesday.

You're all sleeping, with visions of bentwood boxes dancing in your (dead)heads.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The traffic has gotten a bit much.

DrLunchbox likes this.
  10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m listening to Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack last disc.This has been about my favorite(maybe not best) multitrack release.

11. Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar Forum Resident

Ah, The Morning Dew Show.

There were two shows on WBAI-FM which alternated biweekly. “Morning Dew” and “Dead Air”. I believe it was broadcast on Friday morning from 2:30 - 5:00 AM. They generally played entire tape sides of SBD sourced material. Occasionally, they would play AUDs of recent shows from contemporaneous GD tours. IIRC, they followed the legendary Bob Fass’ “Radio Unnameable”.

Sometime in the early 90’s, “Dead Air” became “Live Air”, with a focus on newer regional bands, such as Black 47, Blues Traveler, Spin Doctors, Ominous Seapods, etc.. probably due to the fact that the shows host, Dave Nolan(RIP) was the sound man at Wetlands Preserve, a semi-underground hippie haven in the Yuppie age. The new show didn’t endear long time listeners, and was dropped and replaced by “Morning Dew”, which became a weekly show in that slot.

Hosted by Lance Neal, AKA Mandrake and another fellow whose name escapes me. The Morning Dew show was/is “dedicated to the planet earth, the people on it, and the music of the Grateful Dead and related configurations”. Sometime around 1993(?) the show switched to Saturday nights, 10:00PM- 12:00 AM.

It was an enjoyable show, and the source of my budding collection at the time. They also played some fantastic interludes during tape flips and discussions. A lot of Mickey Hart stuff from DAFOS, Rhythm Devils, and At The Edge, Merl Saunders Blues from the Rainforest and Roger Payne’s Songs of the Humpback Whale, to name a few.

The program that followed Morning Dew in its Saturday night time slot that opened with Hendrix’s Machine Gun and focused on Reggae and Afro Funk was named “The Midnight Ravers”, which provided my introduction to Fela Kuti.

All three shows, Radio Unnameable, Morning Dew and The Midnight Ravers continue to be broadcast on New York city’s WBAI- 99.5 FM to this day.

12. wavethatflag

Ha! There's a name I haven't seen in years. I don't think I ever saw them, but they must have played Albany/upstate a lot.
    I rank that set very high in the official release pantheon. No pun intended.

steveharris likes this.
  13. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

3/2/69 Alligator>Drums>JAM. 25 minutes of jam. This jam needs a name because it is melting my face. I'd play it again if I didn't have to crash. @warewolf95 You heard this one? Your face will melt too.

Crispy Rob, RockRoom, adamos and 6 others like this.
  14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yep. To present two complete ‘69 shows was brilliant (even if neither of these is anywhere near being my favourite ‘69 shows) but then they split up the shows because (as I recall) they didn’t want to have two Lovelights in a row on one disc. The people buying this would have been the last to care about having two Lovelights in a row on one disc. Who gives a damn? One finished one show and the other opened the next show. I can’t for the life of me see how that seemed like a worse option than splitting up the shows the way they did.

I suppose this is one that it should be easy to recompile with stage banter in the correct places.

15. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Wow, I have heard a few Tennessee Jeds today. And they all sound the same to me. I don't know what it is about this song. The reggae beat? The droning of those same chords over and over? Possibly. Even a good one is just okay.

jazz_case and nfmboss666 like this.
  16. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I think that MSG run is underrated. The drums and space are all so different from night to night. And, as I stated previously, 9/13/91 is my favorite from the run.

17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It's a hard choice between that one and 2/28/69's Alligator>jam. Both are massive. Luckily the 3/2/69 one is on the affordable 3CD version of Fillmore West 1969.

18. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Oh by the way, that 9/13/91 takes a while to sound good. The mix comes together for Althea in a night full of Jerry solos.

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Been sampling the shows from the upcoming box and also a few others from May/June 73-74.

Today it's the two Florida shows from June '74. Certainly they must've been on the release radar for years and years. Special shows. Great mellow vibe/sound. Garcia's vocals and guitar are superb.

Killer jazzy Playin in the Band from the 22nd, a new favorite. Bill Kreutzman peaked in '74!

20. budwhite

On to the 23rd... Let it Rock!
    Garcia's beautiful leads on To lay me down, WRS>China Doll to end the first set is so great!

And now the stellar Jam>Ship of Fools to open up the second set!

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

But 1976 was much, much, but much more than decent, and that's why I can't understand the reason for this choice.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. budwhite

Keith is great on 74-06-23. Check out Big River and Dark Star/Spanish Jam>US Blues just to name a few.

Crispy Rob, adamos, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Nope but ill spin it tonight! Thanks for the heads d's s up:)

24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Phil: Hey, aren't we pretty close to the Bermuda Triangle around here?

Crispy Rob, Billy_Sunday and budwhite like this.
  25. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

if you ever get to the south of jersey or even philadelphia or nyc there is a restaurant called buddakan which serves a delightful chocolate bento box

[​IMG]

Ezzie, US Blues, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.