The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Space>Comes a time 78-05-16

Stunning. Last performance was exactly one year before. And then only played once in '79 before seven times in '80. And in '85 is was resurrected once again, and played somewhat more regulary.

wavethatflag and Crispy Rob like this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I had heard that the lack of encores was due to local noise ordinance cut off times, but have never seen that completely verified.

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Checking out the new 50th Anthem release... Live show sounds great.

I picked up the Cd set for the live release and the Picture disc LP for completion sake.

Extra bonus points for the Lenticular 3d cover. It really works on this one...very cool

4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Listened to 3/24/73 Truckin'>Dark Star...about as I remembered, the jam meanders a bit, then a really solid Spanish Jam...

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

There is an 11PM curfew there to this day. GIYF. I remember hearing about many noise complaints in the early days of the landfill.

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well, I knew how to look it up if I really wanted to, but some things aren't that important. I didn't really care about verifying.

bzfgt likes this.
  7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Sorry dude. Didn't mean to be harsh. It was a big story when it opened because the neighbors were pretty pissed the thing was being built in the first place. And since I lived about 15 minutes away I heard all about it. But still I had to look it up to be sure. I've been gone from the Bay Area almost 20 years now and those years were pretty fuzzy to begin with.

NEXT TOPIC!

Just now: Dave's Picks 14: 3/26/72 The Other One>Me And My Uncle>The Other One.
    About to be: 4/24/72 Dark Star>Me And My Uncle>Dark Star.

99 degrees here today, so it's gotta be 71, 72 or 78. :)

8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

PITB from 9/21/72 via Dick’s 36

Best mid-length version ever??

17 minutes of genius

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Dead & Slow. :laughup:

Phoenician likes this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No worries. I still go there pretty frequently (and first went in '89), but didn't pay attention to the local news back in the earlier years. Busy day at work and I didn't need an extra research project. I actually think I did have to look at that noise ordinance once for a work research project about 10 years ago...

SBegonias17 likes this.
  11. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Dont really agree with most of these. Cheap shot stereotypes IMHO.

However, the 7/3/84 scarlet begonias>touch of grey>fire on the mountain is special. A TERRIFIC scarlet/touch transition leads into a hard charging touch of grey. The energy and tempo are aggressive and Phil is doing some really nice "lead" bass work!! The FOTM is pretty typical but Jerry does add some stellar lead/counter lead on the back half.

So thanks for taking me down the rabbit hole Mr. Author... I am grateful.

PS. Jerry is God
    :angel:

This set also has the 7th best version of Dont Need Love, which I never realized was a GOGD original. Only performed 20 times. Guess I need to poke around the mid 80s more.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This thread continues to feature avatar madness!
    I have to say though, as a big critic of Bobby slowness, this was not an issue at the recent Shoreline (2nd night) and Dodger Stadium shows.

Are we allowed to discuss Jerry Band here? I forget. Lately I've been listening to that instead of the GD. Listening to 11/9/91 "Shining Star" right now. I'm fairly sure I saw this tour in Albany. Actually, I'm certain of it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    budwhite likes this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

14. wavethatflag

For the record, because he's bound to change it back soon, CR is now featuring an avatar from the movie Avatar, one of the blue people. Gotta preserve the joke for posterity.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    adamos likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good call. This is not going to last very long. I haven't even ever seen that movie. But I did watch the Smurfs a lot as a kid.

wavethatflag and budwhite like this.
  16. wavethatflag

I don't consider it required viewing. My brother is in the biz, and about a year before it came out he told me that James Cameron was working on a movie that would change everything. So, when I saw it, I was a bit let down. I was expecting a first Star Wars movie level of impact. But it isn't a bad movie.

Hornsby on keys on Pure Jerry 7! (In addition to Mr. Seals.)

DrLunchbox, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'll probably get around to it someday. Anyway, now that you've freed me to move on, I have done so.

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Is rhat Steven Malkmus?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

20. budwhite

First listen to the new expanded Anthem of the sun. I'm at work so I can't focus a 100%...

• Band on acid? I think so from Jerry's vocals.
    • Pigpen is up in the mix.
    • Can't hear Weir's guitar
    • I have no idea if there are two drummers or not.
    • Very good sound for '67.
    • 15 min That's it for the other one. Might be the earliest version I've heard. Jerry and Phil has their parts down. Classic early Dead!

Mansley, Crispy Rob, mmthmj and 5 others like this.
  21. budwhite

81-03-21 London England

Set 1

Alabama Getaway-> Promised Land, Peggy-O, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Tennessee Jed-> Little Red Rooster, Althea, Let It Grow-> China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider

Set 2

Jack Straw, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> One More Saturday Night, E: Don't Ease Me In

Like I said in another thread, this show and the one from 3/28 should be a good candidate for a Dave's Pick. Good SDBs which is not a common thing for the early to mid 80s.

Garcia's vocals are excellent. Phil can be heard. Brent is mixed well. Come on Dave :waiting:

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, trd and 1 other person like this.
  22. budwhite

Epic Black Peter. It's almost hard to believe that this was done in 1981. Jerry sounds way better than on many nights in '77-79

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

In March of 1981 Jerry was the leader of the band.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure it is the first, or nearly so. Notice the different lyrics?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Still the highest grossing movie ever