The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It was in at least one of the books I read, I want to say So Many Roads?

2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

looks like you already ordered it, but you don't have to worry about that for Anthem, it's a bit like Bitches Brew, it was a mixdown from multiple sources, both live and studio, and they take a verse here from one show, a part there from another (as opposed to Live/Dead where tracks were used in full. I had the album for 15 years before I realized there were even live tracks on it. (and I listened to a lot of those tapes at the time too.)

I'd say hold off on Live/Dead because next year is the 50th anniversary and they're bound to do something vinyl with it.

Crispy Rob, adamos, trd and 1 other person like this.
  3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Garcia An American Life

bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Continuing on with the PNW set, disc 3, Truckin.'

Crispy Rob, adamos and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. ianuaditis

4-10-82 Capitol Theater, I'm pretty sure its his only solo show (after his folk days.)

He was booked for the solo tour but got stage fright so he called Kahn after the first show and they did those few tours as a duo.

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was having this conversation with a friend of mine last weekend. I thought the "calling Kahn after the first show" thing happened later with the Lunt-Fontaine run. Me, wrong.

I love Phil's bass odyssey interlude in the middle of Truckin', PNW set, disc the third. Uh oh, ping-pong jam.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  7. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

One of the few unofficial versions I already pulled from an external. Hearing it alongside a bunch of others, what stuck out to me was the groove was a little more of a stomp, at least in spots, and Jerry's tone sounded more metal than other years/bands. It was also plenty quick ... the GD versions so far were speediest in '76-'77. (Sounds weird for the year, but one or two from '76 were really just too fast imo. They lose that liquid quality.)

It'll be good to get an official version to use. With something like this, versions with more of a distinctive personality will be valuable along the way.

8. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Wow! I frigg'n LOVE Bitches Brew! I have about 4 versions of it :)

Sounds like what Zappa did with a lot of the live stuff.

Good! I very much appreciate the reassurance mate, thank you! :righton:

9. ianuaditis

Well, I guess I should clarify that, it's not so much like Bitches Brew in the sound as in the construction. The material on Anthem was the basis for a lot of their live sets c.68-69, but the performances are all unique so you really can't go too wrong, and that Shrine set is a prime example.

Apart from one of the vocal passages you're not too likely to say 'oh yeah, I remember this from Anthem..'

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I was driving tonight right around 11:00 on this radio station 90.3 I heard The Dead what sounded like the jam in Eyes of The world wich transitioned into Supplication.There was a cool instrumental song by a band I could not recognize right after that ended.Great stuff,this often happens with jazz,I hear something really cool and have no idea what it actually was!Ha Ha!:D

11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Thank you.

12. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

The jazz station in my area has an online playlist that has helped me several times to look up something I heard in the car earlier.

steveharris, ianuaditis and trd like this.
  13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Everyone pour one out and throw on your favorite He's Gone.

My uncle's best friend, and the person Id call his brother, is having heart surgery this morning.

The guys already got FIFTEEN stints and has had several heart attacks and chances are high he won't make it today.

Hes not even overweight - skinniest guy I know - but his health has always been fragile.

Send your good vibes and sunshine daydreams towards South Carolina

:)

14. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

A healthy dose of 6-6-70 Alligator through Lovelight this AM. The jam out Alligator of is dark, dramatic and hearty. Garcia is very expressive. A darkness jam develops before teetering on the edge of Caution. A personal fav and a huge Lovelight->NFA->LL follows. A candidate for official immortality for sure. Dig it!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  15. bzfgt

You know what's weird? When you go on other threads (which I sometimes do) you discover that there are deadheads here who never visit this thread, or at least never post here. I find this perplexing.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I’d read it a couple places, including Savid Browne’s So Many Roads book (which the Wikipedia page for Blues for Allah cites). Feel like I also read an interview with Garcia, maybe by Blair Jackson on The Golden Road, where he said it.

KCWhistle and bzfgt like this.
  17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I think this thread is like drums/space for many. Same old same old. Deadheads have been on the interwebs for 25 years talking about the same stuff we do daily.
    That said, I'll bet that more than a few reads but never posts.

18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Don't be shy friends, share your views! Besides, these guys are tired of what I have to say.

Although they're now all big fans of 1978 GD. :tiphat:

trd, adamos, KCWhistle and 5 others like this.
  19. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

‘82, ‘83, and ‘84 have a lot of unexpected magic!

trd, adamos, notesofachord and 5 others like this.
  20. bzfgt

These men are cowards, US.

21. latheofheaven

Good enough, thanks!

22. latheofheaven

That's one thing that I really like about this thread (well, AFTER I take 2 Valium...) is the specific jams, etc. that are people's favourites, ones that really move them. I sure haven't seen anything at all like this for any other band, no matter how famous. I will really enjoy seeking out these specific performances to try to 'hear' what others are hearing...

*** EDIT

I'm starting a file to catalog all of the specific recommendations that people here make...

trd, US Blues, RockRoom and 4 others like this.
  23. latheofheaven

I think it would be much more of a challenge to post and never read... :)

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  24. bzfgt

NOW you're talking!

US Blues, latheofheaven and KCWhistle like this.
  25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Or, they actually have lives outside of posting on music forum threads. Maybe.

:winkgrin::righton:

US Blues and latheofheaven like this.